Start by marking “Mozarto muzikos poveikis” as Want to Read:
Mozarto muzikos poveikis

Mozarto muzikos poveikis

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
With a subtitle of Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strengthen the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit, the casual reader might jokingly ask if the book could also improve chances for world peace, bring free and open elections to third world countries, and give your wash whiter whites and brighter brights. Don Campbell's premise is, however, reasonably straigh ...more
Published 2005 by Vilties oazė (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mozarto muzikos poveikis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mozarto muzikos poveikis

Jessica
Jul 09, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a hilarious piece of 1990s culture that is a relic of the hysteria over classical music as an IQ-boosting, tumor-shrinking, purifying cure-all (more recent studies suggest that there's nothing special about classical music - any music that puts you in a good mood will boost your IQ, because being in a good mood increases your IQ). The book relies almost solely on anecdotal data, and the scientific studies that are cited are vague. I read this book for my research on the relationship betw ...more
Victoria
Jan 08, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, oh-dear
I gave this a bonus star for sheer entertainment value.

In the eighth grade, I did a science fair project on the effects of music, and read this book. Although many good points are brought up about the benefits of music, the fluffiness and lack of scientific evidence for many of his arguments rendered this book wholly unconvincing. Although the concept of the benefits of music does hold merit, I would not recommend this book if you wish to gain definite, factual information.
Gina
Feb 03, 2009 Gina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm learning how I can use sound to help me on a daily basis.
Charlene Mathe
Aug 28, 2014 Charlene Mathe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been missing music in my life!! I used to listen to a lot more music --back in the day when we played LP records; back before talk radio and world news occupied so much of my attention. I used to sing a lot more, too; and had more opportunity to sing in groups. This book discusses the power of music in our emotional AND PHYSICAL vitality. Granted the romanticism noted by other reviewers, I think the overall points hold up. The information and sources are comprehensive and detailed; and ex ...more
Diane
he Mozart Effect was published just 3 years after my eldest was born. I remember the burst of media attention as Mozart Effect CD’s were scooped off the shelves and folks who never were interested in it before began turning to classical music. It was amazing, a boon for my colleagues. I wondered if it were all hype, but with two young children, I had no time to read the book or follow the frenzy more than just having a vague awareness of it.

Don Campbell outlines the research that had been done
Lionkhan-sama
Nov 06, 2014 Lionkhan-sama rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After having read the first chapter or two, I found myself trying to just finish my way through this book.
I personally found this book to be much too full of pretence.
The author presents information as if it were set in stone, when most of it is merely his own biased speculation.

Do not get me wrong, I can't deny that this book contains some interesting information in regards to sound frequencies and human development/well-being, however the writers style was too much for me.
His over-the-top love
Nikki Nielsen
Dec 03, 2011 Nikki Nielsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The phrase 'Mozart Effect' is now well known thanks to this book by Don Campbell. It refers to the idea that particular sounds, tones, and rhythms (including but not exclusively classical music) strengthen the mind, unlock creative chambers in the brain and can even help the human body heal itself. Going into this book having spent more than half my life being a piano teacher probably makes me a little biased, but I believe in the power music can have over us and I have seen first hand the 'aha' ...more
Charlie Canning
Apr 25, 2013 Charlie Canning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating study on the effects of sound on human development

Campbell's book is a fascinating study on the effects of sound in general and music in particular on human development, intellect, psyche, creativity, and mood. His findings are based on the research of Dr. Alfred A. Tomatis (1991) of France who contends that listening to Mozart promotes the development of the brain, learning, and health. According to Tomatis, the fetus is capable of hearing at the four and a half month stage and th
David
this is an excellent book concerning the interpretation of music in all its genera's which spans the notes of each individual style from prayer drums, , & tribal dances
then on to the pomp & circumstance of classical music yes the explanations can go on and on as is said in the book,, music can drum out evil spirits, sing the praises of the virgin Mary, invoke the Buddha of universal salvation, enchant leaders & nations
captivate, soothe, resurrect & transform.
the speech of angles
Christina
I need to get this back to the library, so it's on hold.

So far, there have been a lot of inspirational, but not necessarily scientifically verified, stories about how music has helped people. It has been slow reading. I am hoping for more practical uses in my life & home. There has been very little of that so far, but future chapter titles and headings look promising. So, I'll probably check it out again in the future and continue.

******* Later (finally checked out again and finished)

No such
Roz C
Jun 28, 2014 Roz C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just SUCH an eye-opener all those years ago, and for anyone who is a music lover, a musician, a parent, a carer - of which I am all - this book is a must-read. For a deeper insight into prenatal studies, newborns and children, follow up with "The Mozart Effect: For Children". I must read those two books again, actually! It's been too long.
Lisa
Nov 08, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about how music can affect not only your brain activity but the health of your body. Been listening to Mozart before bed and believe it or not, has helped me fall asleep faster and longer than without.
Katherine
Jul 08, 2012 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Campbell is very subjective in his descriptions about the powers of music to aid in healing, but as a musician (and occasional hospital patient)I've been wondering how it is that those who pursue a degree in Music Therapy wish to base their livelihood on it.

At any rate, I enjoy the reminders that listening to music is very important to the psyche, and it can have quite an effect on our day to day living. I used to listen to baroque organ music in my dorm room to fall asleep despite noisy roomma
Gloria
Sep 06, 2012 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was written in 1997 which is not that old, but I'd be interested in finding out what the medical profession has learned about music and healing since then. There is also a distinct absence of web sites mentioned and too many cassette tapes ARE mentioned which dates this a bit. Nevertheless, this is an enthusiastic though probably biased endorsement of the effect of music on the human brain. While it is clear (to me) that music certainly does influence behaviors and conditions, am not sure t ...more
Harsha
Aug 31, 2015 Harsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about power of sound on mind
Kerri
Jun 07, 2014 Kerri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a very interesting premise, but the voice is so cloying, so sentimental and over-the-top in its explanations and metaphors. It was hard to get through. I am too cynical for this book.
Kristin
I enjoyed reading about the many therapies for many different disorders that are very "fringe" right now. If you are looking for scientific proof, this is not the book. It is mainly full of anecdotes about how some sound therapy or another helped to heal. If you are at your wits end and looking for some relief of a condition after exhausting other avenues, this might serve as a good resource. Really, only a limited portion of the book was about music.
Ruth Bonetti
Oct 30, 2012 Ruth Bonetti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an ear-opener! Campbell really proves the value of listening to music, even better, of playing it. I like the way he integrates wide ranging research with clues to enhance quality of life: e.g. 'When we listen to a good singer we breathe deeper, our muscles relax, endorphins flow.'

While some medico types may look askance, I find this book wholly convincing of the power of music. It should be obligatory reading for health practitioners.
Larry
Sep 09, 2009 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book confirmed what I have experienced in my own life i.e. the power of music to heal and strengthen the mind. Well presented though somewhat repetitive at times. The kernel of truth here is something that the world has generally come to realize (I hope) but for those who have doubts they need to not only read this book but also practice some of the life changing recommendations found therein.
Alona Perlin
I liked it. However, I thought the book was going to focus more on the music on Mozart and its specific healing effects. Instead, it focused on how music in general has a healing effect on the body and its varying conditions and diseases. It had examples of how people were treated with music therapies for various physical, mental and emotional situations.
Rosemary Daly
Mar 08, 2012 Rosemary Daly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting. My father adored Mozart and as a result, we listened to the works of Mozart since we were very young. It was interesting to learn that his music, as well as the music of Bach, Vivaldi, etc. have such a great impact on our conscious and subconscious minds. I highly recommend reading this book.
Luis Villasenor
If you want to know what the Mozart effect is according to those that believe in it then this is a good book. However, if you read this book you must read what is written about the opposite. Very interesting read. Would not recommend it to anyone who is not willing to do the researh for both sides.
Esther
May 30, 2008 Esther rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Mozart Effect: Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strengthen the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit is very helpful when researching about the Mozart Effect and the impact classical music has on individuals. I used this as a source for my writing arts essay, and it came in handy.
Michael
Read the first 5 chapters or so. Interesting tribute to music, but its scientific claims are not convincing. Very anecdotal. It motivated me to gather and learn lullabies. Probably nice reading for anyone who loves music, but beware of Campbell's sincere, but unproven claims and his sales pitch.
Tamsyn
Sep 04, 2008 Tamsyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, music-about, health
I think I'm not going to finish this book for awhile so I'm taking it off my currently reading list. It seems to be a good book, but as I've heard a lot of controversial things about it and whether its really effective, I'm going to shelf it until I can do more research and the interest returns.
Karen
Aug 18, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, music
I have wanted to read this ever since I heard that listening to classical music can raise SAT scores. So far, the book is good for a musician, but really is written for a non-musician. I skimmed quite a bit of the beginning but the examples and stories are fascinating.
Amy
Feb 27, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books is being used for the book group for my new ward in the Baltimore area. I'd heard of it before, let's see if I like it.

This book was interesting. He makes most of the points with anecdotal evidence. It was okay, just a little repetitive and not very compelling.
Diane
May 28, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Music is wonderful medicine for the body and soul. This book gives accounts of how healthcare professionals use music to deal with everything from anxiety, cancer, high blood pressure, etc. It's a great, informative read
Mm
Sep 24, 2012 Mm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is great! It really teaches you about mind over matter and how music can affect a persons mind. I am inspired to listen to more classical music and less head banging music! Hahahaha
Judith
Apr 06, 2009 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book talked more about healing then strengthing the mind. I was looking for Alpha learning type information.
It talked about various recording you can buy and I plan on getting them through my library.
Underground Knowl...: Baroque and classical music 1 12 Nov 15, 2014 12:59AM
  • The Power of Music
  • The Tao of Music: Sound Psychology - Using Music to Change Your Life
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields and What's Behind It All
  • Healing at the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives
  • The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It
  • Nurtured by Love: The Classic Approach to Talent Education
  • Behind the Smile: My Journey out of Postpartum Depression
  • The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature
  • The Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers
  • Collected Stories
  • Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination
  • The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death
  • Chaplin: A Life
  • The Music of the Spheres; Music, Science, and the Natural Order of the Universe
  • Welcome with Love
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
  • 50 Self-Help Classics: 50 Inspirational Books to Transform Your Life from Timeless Sages to Contemporary Gurus

“Music is a holy place, a cathedral so majestic that we can sense the magnificence of the universe, and also a hovel so simple and private that none of us can plumb its deepest secrets.” 4 likes