Start by marking “Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)

Dreadnought! (Star Trek: The Original Series #29)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
"Star Empire" is the Federation's most powerful new weapon -- a dreadnought, first in a class of super-starships -- capable of outgunning a dozen Klingon cruisers, or subduing a galaxy.

On the eve of her maiden voyage, "Star Empire" is stolen by terrorists who demand a rendezvous with the "Starship Enterprise(TM) " -- and with Lieutenant Piper, stationed aboard Kirk's shi

Mass Market, 251 pages
Published May 1st 1986 by Pocket Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dreadnought!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreadnought!

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
52nd out of 245 books — 178 voters
The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean LorrahUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinIshmael by Barbara Hambly
Best Star Trek The Original Series Books
53rd out of 62 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Individualfrog
Apr 16, 2014 Individualfrog rated it it was ok
Because women aren't allowed to just be human beings, they are also not allowed to just be characters, so various dismissive terms for them have been invented throughout the years: Damsel in Distress. Femme Fatale. Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Mary Sue. I found this book, which I first read as a kid, and I wanted to reread it partly because Lt. Piper was, back in the olden days at least, held up as the ultimate example of that latter category.

Does she fit it? Well, it's a completely meaningless desig
rivka
Apr 25, 2015 rivka rated it liked it
Shelves: startrek

This book and its sequel are in many ways unlike any other ST novels -- including the others by Diane Carey.

They are in first person; the focus is on characters who are not among the regular cast members -- so much so that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are relegated to support-character status; they are frequently, irrepressibly ridiculous (the BUNNY HOP?!? as a diversionary tactic?); and Piper clearly lacks a last name because if she had one it would have to be "Sue".

And let's not forget the
Justin
Feb 24, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
Shelves: scif-fi
It was a compact novel so the plot went very quickly. The only thing I did not like was the fact that somehow in Star Trek there are very inexperienced junior officers given senior command and it appears to be on a routine basis. In the movie Star Trek (the eleventh movie, not the first one), Kirk is barely out of the academy but ends up senior to Spock and given command of the Enterprise. While that maybe exceptional, and there is similar confusion in the early TOS novels and TV, that ends up b ...more
Jen
Feb 03, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Mmm, once upon a time, I had an entire bookshelf full of Star Trek novels. And then I graduated from college and sold most of them off. Of the ten or so that I kept, this and its sequel made the cut. Fifteen years later, I'm not so sure why. (No, untrue, it was because I loved the idea of Sarda.)

Clunky writing, one-dimensional characters. More of a YA novel than anything else, which probably explains why I liked it so much more as a teenager.

It's a first-person narrative, told through the eyes o
Sue
Feb 24, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
Well, that was a delightful surprise! Even though I've been watching 'Star Trek' my whole life, I've never read any of the novels. My understanding of them was that they were not cannon (which is true) and that they weren't very good. This particular novel has changed my view of this specific subgenre of scifi. I think what allowed me to get past my attachment to the shows and the movies was the fact that the main characters of this story did not exist in the original show at all. Kirk and Spock ...more
Oscar Chang
Apr 06, 2015 Oscar Chang rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
So I wanted to read this book because I saw it mentioned that it inspired parts of Star Trek: Into Darkness. I also saw that it's an example of the "Mary Sue" type of writing and boy was it.

I kept thinking this was like the YA version of a Star Trek book. Pretty much all of the narrative goes through the fresh cadet named Piper. There was actually very little interactions with the actual crew of the Enterprise, which was what I was looking for. It's almost all through the thoughts and actions of
Sep 22, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Frankly, I have read better stories in online fan-fiction archives. The plot is paper-thin and full of holes, with twists and turns that come completely out of left field and result in a cobbled-together mess. Writing in first person is difficult; it requires a good balance of inner-monologue with action, but instead we get pages of cringe-worthy indecision and self-hatred alternated with action scenes in which Carey thinks that telling us Piper's actions were brilliant is enough to make them so ...more
Katharine Holden
Jan 18, 2011 Katharine Holden rated it it was ok
Fair Star Trek novel featuring the Original Series characters. The narrator is a hotshot lieutenant on the captaincy track, a humanoid from a planet called Proxima Beta. There's a fun bit where she remembers her reaction to Earth's climate during her academy days: "And I could never, never get used to that garish yellow sun." But seeing the familiar through an unfamiliar narrator's eyes quickly becomes tiresome as each Original Series crewmember is described by the narrator. It's a nice idea, bu ...more
Candiebarr
Jun 09, 2015 Candiebarr rated it liked it
Shelves: the-reading
I think I would have been more interested in it if I was more interested in the characters. I don’t know who this Piper is or who her friends are so why should I care about what happens to any of these people? Piper also annoyed me. She purposely hurt people she considered her friends. Also, I’m not sure what level exactly a lieutenant is (I asked someone and was told middle), or how old this girl is, but it seems as though she and her friends are quite young, just recently out of the academy an ...more
Ceejay
May 25, 2015 Ceejay rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and exciting entry in the Sar Trek (first generation) series. It's a first person tale. Piper Broxon tells us the tale of her first Starfleet assignment.She's on the Enterprise! There are plots, and counter-plots,and counter-counter-plots. It is truly a page turner, but it doesn't lack for some time spent dealing with interpersonel relations. If you love Star Trek, I can't help but feel you'll love reading this fantastic story!
J.D.
Jan 20, 2015 J.D. rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I love Diane Carey writing. I don't really like the character of Piper, but the story itself is very good. Personally I prefer books centered around main Enterprise crew, yet I find this book and it's sequel a nice looking into working of main crew from the kinda side person. I really liked a character of Sarda.
Apr 14, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
On the whole, I enjoyed this book. It had a solid story and adequate character development. There were some downsides, though. To me, it was too close to a romance novel. Not that there's anything WRONG with romance novels, I just wasn't expecting it in my ST novel.

The story centers around a captaincy candidate from the Academy named Piper. In reality, this is basically a well-written Mary Sue story. A lot of the "twists," if you want to call them that, were very predictable – at least to me. B
Ronald Wilcox
Storyline as it fits into the Star Trek universe? 4 stars. Writing of the main character as she fits into the Star Trek universe? 2 stars. Piper is a young lieutenant who gets assigned to the Enterprise at Kirk's request after she shows an innovative approach to a simulation exercise. THe Enterprise then finds out a new battlecruiser dreadnought has been developed in secret by the Federation and is stolen by Federation members. A message comes from the pirates and it can only be opened by Lieute ...more
John
Sep 15, 2015 John rated it liked it
This book is told from the point of view of Lieutenant Piper, a recent Starfleet graduate. She seems somewhat naïve and self-centered. The first time she meets Kirk, she immediately thinks "he wants me!" With Piper driving the story, I found it harder to invest in the character than with some of Carey's other books.
Justin Rees
Aug 09, 2011 Justin Rees rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
this was a truly fascinating star trek novel to say the least. It went by so quickly because I could not put it down. It is conspiracy at it's finest and with a deadly battle cruiser thrown in for some badass good measure. Wonderful character development that keeps you enthralled and captured in the escapades of the Starship Enterprise and it's new crew member Lt. Piper. It was far beyond enjoyable into the realms of sheer geeky goodness and is a must read for any original series fan, but really ...more
Eric
Feb 22, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
this book and it's companion Battlestations (also by Diane Carey) focus on a young captaincy candidate from her point of view in the Kirk universe. it is EXTREMELY well written. it has some good adventure, some great inner dialogue, some moments where the tension keeps you riveted.

dreadnought is the story about a stolen UFP vessel that must be recovered before it does irreparable harm. but the plot twists and turns reveal a bigger menace than 1 star ship.

i love Diane Carey's interpretations &
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 26, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A fantastic novel...one of the fastest I've ever read through. The first two thirds comprises a brilliant work of character development & tension-building...all the more remarkable for its minimal use of description, and dependency on dialogue. The final third is simply balls-to-the-wall action that deserve to be seen in a "Star Trek" film. Excellent work...and it comes complete with the introduction of a new character (Lt. Piper) worthy of Kirk himself.
Susan Bigelow
Jan 02, 2012 Susan Bigelow rated it liked it
This is a fun Star Trek book. I love the character of Lt. Piper, though the hero-worship of Kirk is a little extreme. The plot's a well-worn one (evil admiral trying to take over Starfleet, darn those flag officers!), but the characters, adventure and action are generally handled well. There's a strange multi-page digression into quasi-libertarian thought and more exposition than the book really needs, but I still thought it was a fun read.
Rich Meyer
Jan 10, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
This was definitely one of the best Star Trek novels I've read. It was one of the few of the original series novels that don't focus directly on the crew of the Enterprise that we all know and love, but rather creates some new characters and we see the Enterprise through their eyes. A lot of good characterization and more than it's share of action! Highly recommended for the Trekkie in everyone!
Chantel
Jul 04, 2013 Chantel rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
It's interesting I read this after watching the new movie.... The story is VERY similar. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where most of the movie came from. The Dreadnaught, the Admiral trying to start a war.....
That being said, I thought it was an interesting book, a different perspective, and not totally about the Enterprise & her crew.
Good read! :)
Travis
Apr 16, 2008 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
It does have a strong fanfiction vibe, but at the time of these books there was just the original series and movies, so introducing a new group of characters that could be spun off into their own series was a pretty cool thing. Especially a group like this that weren't seasoned pros, but fresh out of the academy types.

It is a fun sci-fi adventure.
Travis
Feb 13, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Diane Carey did two books featuring this group of cadets getting dragged into the middle of something big involving the Enterprise. Reads a bit like fanfiction, but fun fanfiction.
Plus, at the time, there were very few Trek books dealing with new characters, so it was a nice change of pace. Not a great book, but a fun, light read.
James
Dec 27, 2009 James rated it it was ok
I had enjoyed this book immensely when I was a kid. It did not live up to my memories. It was OK, but felt a lot like a Mary Sue fanfic. Still, it had some good moments and what I enjoyed the most as a kid, seeing the Star Trek crew through a crewmember's eyes, still can be fun.
Margo
Aug 19, 2010 Margo rated it liked it
I probably won't keep it, but ... not bad. The author's note indicated it was Carey's first-ever ST novel, and that seemed to sum things up for a while ... kind of a lame/slow start. But then the storyteller kicked in, things heated up, and it finished with a bang.
Aaron Schram
Apr 05, 2012 Aaron Schram rated it liked it
One of the first Star Trek books I ever read and a darn good one too. Told not from the third person about Captain James T. Kirk and crew as one might expect, but first person from an academy cadet on her first command voyage. A must read for any fan.
Dan
May 07, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signal
I read quite a lot of Star Trek books when I was very short. Most of them were pretty awful, but this one was good. The interesting thing about this book is that it introduces a new set of characters, who mostly interact with Kirk etc from the outside.
Brian Jeffreys
Dec 09, 2010 Brian Jeffreys rated it really liked it
Diane Carey did a great job bringing this young lieutenant to life. Although the book languishes in self wallowing pity and some occasional goofy scene writing (bunny hop), it makes up for it in surprise tactics and a well defined hero worship.
Jessica
Apr 08, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: star trek fans
Shelves: scifi, startrek
Some have called Piper a "Mary Sue" character, but I see the first person perspective as a fresh twist on the classic Star Trek novel. The writing is at times rough, but the characters are great, and the set-up for the sequel is even better.
Heather Domin
May 21, 2011 Heather Domin rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek-books
I think this book's flaws have been covered pretty well in other reviews, so I won't rehash them. It was a cool idea, but the presentation didn't work for me; which is a bummer, because I really liked some of her other Trek books.
Stephen Fender
Mar 05, 2013 Stephen Fender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the main character, Piper. I can't stand the way she constantly compares herself to Kirk. Get a life and make a career for yorself, lady! Aside from that, it was one of the best Trek novels I'd read in a long time.
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
  • Timetrap
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Demons
  • The Rift
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
  • Legacy
  • Vulcan's Glory
  • Three Minute Universe
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Memory Prime
  • The Pandora Principle
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more
More about Diane Carey...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire