Start by marking “World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It” as Want to Read:
World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It

World 3.0: Global Prosperity and How to Achieve It

Since the financial crisis of 2008, many of us have had to reexamine our beliefs about markets and globalization. How integrated should economies really be? How much regulation is right?
Many people fuse these two dimensions of choice into one, either favoring both globalization and deregulation--or opposing both of them.
It doesn't have to be that way.
In World 3.0, award
Published April 26th 2011 by Harvard Business School Press

To ask other readers questions about World 3.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World 3.0

Adriaan Jansen
Jun 06, 2015 Adriaan Jansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
In World 3.0, Ghemawat argues that the world we live in is not a flat, fully globalized world and that differences and distances are still very relevant. In order to prove this point, Ghemawat provides interesting data to prove that cross-border flows of goods, services, capital, information and people are actually a lot more limited that most of us would intuitively assume. An example: Of all the telephone calling minutes worldwide, less than 2% corresponds to international calls. Several other ...more
Alvaro Berrios
If i could give this book 3 1/2 starts that's the actual rating I would give it. I think it's an excellent book, extremely informative and very enlightening. It actually refutes a lot of the claims made in Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat." A book which I initially rated highly, I now think much less of it thanks to Ghemawat's presentations of actual data. As a result, I think anyone who is involved on the global operations of an enterprise needs to read this book. The world is far from boar ...more
Christophe Druet
This book proposes an alternative world between what I would call the "free-market-freak" and the "protectionist-freak". It encourages to think beyond our inner fears about globalization by looking at facts and figures that clearly shows how the benefits largely outweigh the pretended disadvantages.
Dec 23, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the data driven commentary that pervades most of the book. He thoroughly refutes Thomas Friedman's thesis that the world is flat. It clearly is not and the thing that divide us such as culture, language and political institutions will continue to play a major role in international politics and business. By ignoring this fact we are in danger of returning to a world in which global war is a definitive possibility. However, Ghemawat's conclusion leaves the reader wanting. However, if the ...more
John Favini
Not a huge fan. Author hails from Harvard Business school and the text is covered with neoliberalism, and quite a few inaccuracies.
Feb 03, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contains smart data to debunk mainstream views such as Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat" assumption. Ghemewat spells genius, though he does need more down-to-earth, mass appeal to face off with Friedman.

Though a bit technical for non-specialists, World 3.0 is well-edited enough for a persistent lay reader. A must-read for anyone interested in the way the economic world works and technology's role in global affairs, this book makes us delve deeper into the notion of globalization and successf
Thomas Burky
This text gets into the real meat of globalization by examing actual data of global trade rather than the giddy "let's all get together" discussion normal held. The author points out that world trade is not nearly as "globalized" as either its proponents or detractors think and systematically discusses the roles of government and markets with specific case studies. If you are interested in global trade and its impacts this is a great read, but you better pack a lunch because it is very in depth.
Oct 16, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok
Some interesting insights, particularly when it comes to debunking misperceptions about just how globalized the world is(n't)...but that doesn't outweigh its business-school, jargon-laden style. I think the first draft of this book was a powerpoint deck. It probably should have stayed that way.
Interesting analysis on globalization: what is the current state of globalization, challenges, risks, benefits... It compares view from other authors and also add data to support his ideas.
Sebastian Roesinger
Great counter-balance of the work done by Thomas Friedman, backed up with figures.
Vr Murty
May 12, 2012 Vr Murty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extension to world is flat and how to do business and win customers
Florian Adriaenssens
Florian Adriaenssens marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Karan Babar
Karan Babar marked it as to-read
Sean rated it liked it
Nikita added it
Josh Murray
Josh Murray marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Asher rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Cya marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Niharika majhi
Niharika majhi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Seif Zeineldin
Seif Zeineldin is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Elena Sanitate
Elena Sanitate marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Radu marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Prashanth Jnanendra
Prashanth Jnanendra marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Hernan Soulages
Hernan Soulages marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Srikar Doddi
Srikar Doddi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Dora Wang
Dora Wang rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Nupur rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
Aditya_jain is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2016
Akshay Bhat
Akshay Bhat marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
  • The Great Convergence: Asia, the West, and the Logic of One World
  • The Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working
  • Full Planet, Empty Plates: The New Geopolitics of Food Scarcity
  • Coined: The Rich Life of Money and How Its History Has Shaped Us
  • The Crisis Caravan: What's Wrong with Humanitarian Aid?
  • The Business Solution to Poverty: Designing Products and Services for Three Billion New Customers
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • The Race for What's Left: The Global Scramble for the World's Last Resources
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy
  • The Other Kind of Smart: Simple Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence for Greater Personal Effectiveness and Success
  • How to Spend $50 Billion to Make the World a Better Place
  • Breakout Nations: In Pursuit of the Next Economic Miracles
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Tempo: Timing, Tactics and Strategy in Narrative-Driven Decision-Making
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life