Start by marking “The Art & Craft of Handmade Books” as Want to Read:
The Art & Craft of Handmade Books

The Art & Craft of Handmade Books

“LaPlantz has created another whammo release.”—RubberStampMadness. “More than 25 patterns...focus on seven different types of books, from a simple...accordion fold to the complicated recessed skewer binding. Everything is here...as well as explanations of such techniques as embossing.”—Booklist.
Published March 1st 2003 by Lark Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Art & Craft of Handmade Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art & Craft of Handmade Books

Cheri
Jun 09, 2016 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Including work by nearly 60 contributing artists, this book consists of 124 pages of lovely photographs of these very beautiful and very unique books.

Also including 20 pages of basic introductory information, the tools, the techniques, materials, etc. and divided into seven Project Sections:
Concertina, Slit Concertina, Star Tunnel, Pamphlet and Running Stitch, Tacket Binding, Coptic Stitch, and Recessed Skewer Binding.

These are all Artist’s Books, most are not something you would use in a basi
Heather
Jul 25, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
AN AMAZING BOOK ON MAKING BOOKS!

This book is great for beginner book makers as well as advanced book makers. It is all encompassing and includes different binding techniques, cover techniques, and signature techniques. Shereen LaPlantz begins by defining the terms and materials she will use throughout the book which is very helpful because you can always go back to the beginning as a reference. I learned so much about the different parts of the book, and different techniques that can be used th
Heather
Jun 27, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book is FULL of information about making books. I think it would be such a valuable resource for someone interested in this craft. The sections are written very clearly and were easy to get into. The scope and depth of the information was a little intimidating, but if you just take each section as is, it makes it easier to deal with.

**I received this copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
Eileen Hall
Jun 26, 2016 Eileen Hall rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative book covering the techniques of making exquisite works of art.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Dover Publications via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Tracey
Oct 19, 2016 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: reference, books
It's a bit hard for a visual learner to judge this book from a galley with no photographs, but: there are seven types of books, with detailed instructions on how to achieve them. Not something I'll be pursuing anytime soon, but something I've always wanted to know more about.

The usual disclaimer: I received this book via Netgalley for review.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
THE ART AND CRAFT OF HANDMADE BOOKS
Written by Shereen LaPlantz
2001 (reissue JULY 20, 2016); 128 Pages
Dover Publications
Genre: arts, crafts, nonfiction

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

"This innovative approach to bookbinding demonstrates an array of creative techniques that elevate handmade books into extraordinary works of art. Easy-to-follow, well-illustrated directions for more than 25 patterns explain how to make seven different kinds of books with pop-
Chris Lawson
Jul 15, 2016 Chris Lawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't Miss the "Six-Armed Star Tassel Book"

THE ART AND CRAFT OF HANDMADE BOOKS is one BEWILDERING book, full of astonishing creations. Books are dull things, right? No way!

When you open the cover of this book, you are in for a SHOCK. I had no idea whatsoever of the many creative ways to make a book. My favorite is the “Six-Armed Star Tassel Book."

"Skewer" book--no problem; "Coptic Stich"-we got you covered. What about "Two Signature Pamphlet Stitch"--of course! And one type of book is like a TU
Ariel Hudnall
Jun 12, 2016 Ariel Hudnall rated it really liked it
The Art & Craft of Handmade Books is an interesting and colorful trip into the world of handmade "books." While my expectation when picking up this title was to see more about the world of full-size bookbinding, the majority of the text is focused on the creation of decorative accordion or window books. Most of the samples provided would not be appropriate for works of novel, or even novelette, length.

However, once my initial expectation was revised into what the book truly was, I found the
Michelle
Jun 26, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
I was excited to find a book about handmade books on Netgalley because it's a hobby of mine and I always love to learn new techniques. The book is really accessible to all with its glossary and step by step instructions for the crafty projects. I have to say though that t wasn't entirely my cup of tea as I prefer to make thicker journals for writing and sketching, whereas the projects in this book are more suited to those who might like to make decorative pamphlets and gift books and so forth. I ...more
Rachel B
This book is definitely more "art" than "craft." Half of the projects are for concertinas and star tunnel books, which seem to be more "extravagant greeting card" than "book", in my opinion.

The instructions were a little vague/confusing at times and there weren't step-by-step photos included, which I (being very visual) am in great need of! There were a few non-detailed illustrations, though not for every step.

If you're just looking for inspiration for art books, this would be a good book to fli
Books In Brogan
Jun 02, 2016 Books In Brogan rated it really liked it
Since one of my hobbies is bookbinding I jumped at the chance to review this book and I can definitely recommend this one it would be great for even a beginner. There are very clear instructions and explanations with plenty of pictures for those that are more visual learners. So if you want to start creating Book Art this would be for you.This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Erin
Jun 07, 2016 Erin rated it liked it
This book is a good primer for book making. Overall the information is good, although some of it differs from how I was taught and prefer to bind books. I wish that the samples of books were more varied. While they show a variety of binding types, the artistic style of the books are all very similar and limit the range of people who might look at the samples and relate to them.

However, I focus mainly on sewn bindings so the wide variety of folded bindings was interesting to see. Personally I pre
Stacey Bookerworm
Sep 05, 2016 Stacey Bookerworm rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book in exchange for an honest review.

What a beautiful book! The photos in it are very artistic and interesting to look at regardless of whether you intend to use the techniques in the book or not.

Very useful and informative guide to making books by hand using a variety of techniques. As a complete novice in this area it was interesting to see the different ways you can make a book.

Lovely.
Ryan
Jun 01, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been lots of books on how to make books. Even books on how to make art books. So this book could be just another instruction manual What sets it apart is its depth. By depth I mean the time the author put into the little details. There has a full glossary at the beginning, as well as details on what goes into making books, what types of materials to use, and various binding techniques. It talks about the difference between books and art books, as well as archival and non-archival. ...more
Leyla Johnson
Jun 24, 2016 Leyla Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have often gone to galleries and seen the most amazing handmade books, and always though I would love to know how to make those. Well this book gives you a taster of the various techniques of the different styles of hand making art books. Certainly there is enough in this book for you to explore and make your own pieces of art, with a lovely gallery, displaying ideas for further exploration, this book ticks all the boxes for me to make a start.
Well written, simply explained with hand sketch d
Charlotte Skibicki
Jul 25, 2016 Charlotte Skibicki rated it really liked it
I received a digital ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.

This is a great introduction into the worlds of book making. It gives you everything you need to know to get started right away using basic supplies and tools that most crafters will already have.

Easy to read and follow instructions that contain both hand drawn and photographic visuals to compliment the written instructions. This book includes a wide range of projects, making it easy for everyone to find a style they w
Leslie
Aug 25, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a PDF of this book to review.

What a cool book! This book is great for beginners and advanced book makers. I'm not sure that I'll ever get into that craft but this was a neat one, for sure. There's so many pictures and such amazing books.

There are a lot of diagrams that show you the steps on making books and lots of detail. This is a book full of information. A must have if you have a knack for making books of all kinds.
Polly Krize
Jul 25, 2016 Polly Krize rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Simply stunning! A wide variety of techniques, including detailed descriptions for beautiful handmade creations. From simple concertina style books to the more advanced tacket bound books to the recessed skewer with twisted coptic stitch volumes, all are explained thoughtfully. The tassel books particularly appealed to me because of their use not only as a book but as a decoration too. Photographs are particularly striking.
Karin Bartimole
Lots of pictures and fun to look through, but not nearly as good as Shereen LaPlantz's other book Cover to Cover, which is a favorite of mine. If you're already knowledgeable, and a fan of LaPlantz's, you might want to ad this to your library, but I wouldn't start here.
Kind of disappointing.
Gala
Jun 12, 2007 Gala rated it it was ok
the author fell ill when making this book, so it was completed by her assistant. and while i am sympathetic to the circumstances, it doesn't yield a very good book. the project probably should've been shelved. pun intended.
elaynne
Oct 30, 2013 elaynne rated it liked it
Source: PPLD

Some good ideas for double-needle simple coptic stitch, slip and slide (or highway) books and a sewing cradle.
Clare
Jun 03, 2016 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
An informative book on making books and other things. Good instructions easily understood by the beginner
Adriana
Feb 27, 2014 Adriana rated it really liked it
Mostly a book for intermediate or experienced artists, what it lacks in step-by-step descriptions it more than makes up for with excellent images for inspiration and inspired variations on classics.
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
May 29, 2008
Linda
Dec 07, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookmaking
many good ideas and photos/illustrations to inspire
ROSEMARY MARINO
ROSEMARY MARINO rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Louise Chambers
Louise Chambers rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Joanna O'neill
Joanna O'neill rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Ashley Guertin
Ashley Guertin rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Silvia
Silvia rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014