Start by marking “Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata” as Want to Read:
Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata

Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata (Chosen Daughters)

Psalm-Singer, Passionate Teacher, Pilgrim Adventurer "My daughter Olympia is my finest student " Olympia Morata (1526 1555) is a girl far ahead of her time. A quick tongue and a ready pen are her mind's tools to record her vivid thoughts, poetry, songs, and opinions. Appointed tutor to Duchess Ren e's children, her future is bright when suddenly, evil rumors turn her world ...more
Published November 15th 2011 by P & R Publishing (first published November 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Weight of a Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weight of a Flame

Hannah Walsh
Jul 07, 2012 Hannah Walsh rated it really liked it
I love these books. I wish there were more.
Jaina
Feb 20, 2014 Jaina rated it really liked it
I won this book a few months ago from a giveaway scavenger hunt featuring over thirty Christian authors (which, as a total aside, was SO FUN). I won this and two other Simonetta Carr books (Renee of France and Lady Jane Grey), autographed by the author by request, and didn’t really have any idea what I was getting into when I started reading.

Now, two months later (yes, I’m a very disorganized person), I’m finally writing that review that’s been sitting on my back burner all this time. I kept thi
Bob Hayton
Jan 14, 2012 Bob Hayton rated it it was amazing
What would it be like to live in the years immediately following the Reformation? How joyful would the discovery of Gospel truth be? Yet, how terrible would it feel to know people close to you, who are suffering for their faith? The turbulent period which followed the Reformation is captured well in a new book by Simonetta Carr.

In "Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata" (part of the Chosen Daughters series from P & R Publishing), Carr tells the story of a Reformation-era heroine s
Logan  Seibert
Nov 11, 2016 Logan Seibert rated it really liked it
I have not heard of Olympia Morata before reading this book. I am thankful to have been able to learn of her. I cannot speak to how faithful this fictional account was to the truth, however I appreciated how the author discussed in what ways she had to 'fill in the gaps' of what is known of Olympia's life.

I found the start of the book a bit slow, but I was drawn in more and more as I read. It felt a bit as if some important events in the narrative were gone over a bit too quickly, yet even then
Marguerite Harrell
Aug 02, 2012 Marguerite Harrell rated it really liked it
Great and interesting book to read especially Historical Fiction to understand what it was like to live in those days fighting for the freedom of your religious belief. I am thankful that Lutheran were faithful to stand true to His Word and for standing up against Roman Catholic's belief.
Sean/Maria Hanley
Nov 25, 2011 Sean/Maria Hanley rated it really liked it
A deeply inspiring and moving biography of a sister in Christ in Italy during the early days of the Reformation where 'Italian believers were faced with three choices: compromise and silence, defiance unto death, or voluntary exile.' Wonderful book!!
Elzbeth
Apr 20, 2015 Elzbeth rated it liked it
This one wasn't as good as the other Chosen Daughters books. This was written like a biography with people talking. The author writes a great biography, but not so much a great story.
Dave Packard
Aug 02, 2012 Dave Packard rated it really liked it
Really helped me understand the plight of Protestants in the 1500's. Persecution was very scary at that time, but Christians really stood up for their faith!
Sydney
Jan 26, 2013 Sydney rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it didn't pull me in like so many other books I've read. I had to force myself to read it. But it was still a great book. I really enjoyed learning about Olympia Morata.
Osvaldo
Osvaldo rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Danielle Stanton
Danielle Stanton rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Penny Clawson
Penny Clawson rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Ivy Rose
Ivy Rose rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Joy C.
Joy C. rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Cara Smith
Cara Smith rated it it was ok
May 02, 2015
Elleh S.
Elleh S. rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Laurin
Laurin rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Red
Red rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Tina Harper
Tina Harper rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Nancy Almodovar
Nancy Almodovar rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sarah Scarlett
Sarah Scarlett rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Julie Carson
Julie Carson rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2017
Joy Lynne
Joy Lynne rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Simonetta Carr was born in Italy and has lived and worked in different cultures. A former elementary school teacher, she has home-schooled her eight children for many years. She has written for newspapers and magazines around the world and has translated the works of several authors into Italian. Presently, she lives in San Diego with her husband Thomas and family. She is a member and Sunday Schoo ...more
More about Simonetta Carr...

Chosen Daughters (6 books)
  • Against the Tide: The Valor of Margaret Wilson
  • Wings Like a Dove: The Courage of Queen Jeanne D'Albret
  • A Cup of Cold Water: The Compassion of Nurse Edith Cavell
  • Dr. Oma: The Healing Wisdom of Countess Juliana Von Stolberg
  • Johanna and Henriette Kuyper: Daring to Change Their World (Chosen Daughters)