Start by marking “Captain Awesome to the Rescue!” as Want to Read:
Captain Awesome to the Rescue!

Captain Awesome to the Rescue! (Captain Awesome #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Bad guys beware! Eugene McGillicudy just happens to be the most awesome superhero of all time…Captain Awesome. MI-TEE!

Now readers between the ages of five and seven can read chapter books tailor-made for a younger level of reading comprehension. Heavily illustrated with large type, Little Simon's young chapter books let young readers feel like they are reading a
Published April 3rd 2012 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Awesome to the Rescue!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Awesome to the Rescue!

Tanner Brock
The only part I liked about it is how Captain Awesome found the class hamster in one of the girls bags. I didn't like the part where he got a new partner, because I think he was fine without a partner.
Laura5
I agree with Susan (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), the concept is awesome, but the writing didn't quite live up to the predicted awesomeness.
Despite that, I know students who are going to love this series.
My 7 yr old certainly did.
Susan
A new series for the 2nd grade crowd. The cover, illustrations, and concept are great! The writing is okay. I can think of readers who will enjoy this series.
Mackenzie
It is the best book ever you should read this book it awesome. This book has a hamster named turbo. He is so cute. I think it is the best book I have read.
Heather
Captain Awesome makes my 6 year old boy giggle uncontrollably while he calmly (!) sits in his chair reading. New fave series. By far.
Barb Middleton
In the same vein as Roscoe Riley and Junie B. Jones, this book has a superhero theme that will appeal to the grade 2-3 crowd. The main strength of the story comes from eight-year-old Eugene McGillicudy's imagination as he deals with his fears of starting at a new school by embracing his fearless alter ego, Captain Awesome. When Eugene is given responsibility to take the class pet home, his classmate, Meredith, becomes jealous causing him trouble. Fortunately, Captain Awesome knows how to deal wi ...more
Chris
Wow! What truly awful writing. The cover, illustrations, formatting, and concept are all appealing and I'm sure it will attract readers, but they'd be much better served by the many far superior options like Captain Underpants, Frankie Pickle, Squish, Wiley & Grampa, Super Chicken Nugget Boy, Missile Mouse, The Magic Pickle, and others. I had to quit after three chapters (of ten) because I couldn't take anymore and needed to rant; I'm not sure if I'll be able to force myself to finish the re ...more
Brenda Kahn
Cute in that adorable, rambling, stream-of-consciousness two-year-old kind of way. It will have appeal, but there isn't much substance or continuity.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
In an endeavor to be better suited for my youth supervisor position at work, I am trying to read more young chapter books. Tweens and teens--I'm solid on readers' advisory on them. Picture books--I'm pretty good with them too. It's those 1st-3rd graders I'm not great with. And since I recognize this weakness (and I have a nephew now that age), I'm trying to rectify it. Captain Awesome is how I began. A seriously fast read. I'm tempted to bring it home and read to Charlie for bedtime because it j ...more
Libby Ames
I love this series for no other reason than the other morning my 6 year old got out of bed and said, “Mom, I’m going to go downstairs and read.” He enjoys listening to books, but this is the first time he read a full chapter book on his own and was motivated to grab the next one. Also, the main character doesn’t use potty humor or incorrect grammar to grab the reader’s attention. He may call his little sister Queen Stinkypants, but I can handle that.

Eugene McGillicudy seems like a regular boy, b
Marissa Hatch
This book reviewed by Tate age 6:
"captain awesome to the rescue! captain awesome is awesome. he is coming to save the day! In this book captain awesome's arch enemy is queen stinkypants (his little baby sister) and another enemy is Meredith Mooney. The thing I liked in this book is that he finds out who stole the class pet and rescues it. The book was really funny. His friend's super hero name is nacho cheese man. I liked how the artist drew the pictures."
Dana
I just didn't love, or even like this one at all. I thought it was obnoxious and the kid was so negative about school, his sister, and meeting new kids at school. I also felt like it emphasized those stereotypes in a way that was not very charming.

Not every book needs to teach a lesson but there are so many good books out there that I won't be recommending this one.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud as his reader.

A beginning chapter book for five to eight year olds and yet not written down to children that it keeps the attention of older reluctant or struggling readers. My autistic son is 12 and quite enjoyed himself with Captain Awesome & Turbo's first adventure. I also was very pleased. Nice large text, pictures on every 2-page spread, often more than one, makes use of all typical superhero devices and connects with the child as they imagine someone l
Erin
Team-read this with my 8-year-old daughter. She enjoyed it and thought the antics were hilarious. But she did have difficulty reading the stream-of-consciousness writing, and figuring out the author'a tone. Still, we got through it quickly and there was lots of giggling, so anything that gets my reluctant reader to feel warmly toward books is a winner.
Marcia
Always on the look out for high interest beginning chapter books and this one was fun. The superhero theme and faced past action make it a good choice--plus it is first in a series.
The lost classroom hamster storyline is really familiar, but Captain Awesome saves the day in a humorous way. I'll add more of these to the collection.
I always find it hard to rate books in the 1st to 3rd grade range. Many of them are dull plot wise, and the dialogue is... well... like talking to a 6-year-old. Cute, but not all that enlightening. This book is no exception. While I found it to be rather dull plot wise, there are cute moments, like when Captain Awesome is battling Mr. Drools in his barkyard. Other moments, while funny to me, would go over the heads of most young readers, I think. For example: "Cheese Man is no longer on the side ...more
Joanne Palin
With a cute little 8-yr-old protagonist who pretends to be a superhero, this series is bound to be a hit with little ones. Short chapters, big font, and a simple story, thrown together with enough bathroom humor to keep the little ones in stitches, this will be a a popular choice for boys and girls alike.
Tracie
Eugene McGillicuddy is a second grader with an overactive imagination and a passion for superheroes. He also has a secret: Eugene believes he is a superhero himself, none other than the highly MI-TEE Captain Awesome. When his family relocates to a new town, Eugene must use his superhero abilities to find a new sidekick (a.k.a. friend) and expose an evil hamsternapping scheme concocted by his archenemy, Little Miss Stinky Pinky (a.k.a. classmate Meredith Mooney) while keeping his toys drool-free ...more
Adam Dreece
My 4 year old son and I had a blast reading this book. The tale is fun, and scenes are great (especially when read with heroic voice). This is the first book that he's stopped playing on his iPad or playing with toys, and asked me to read a bit more of. He can't get enough of it.
Lora
What a great early chapter book! It's got all the elements kids love: fun illustrations, ridiculous and humorous story lines (some filled with sarcasm), superheroes, and pets.

This is a great book for those kids just starting to read chapter books by themselves. And it looks like this is going to be a serious with at least 3 more books coming soon. Fans or Lunch Lady, Dragon Breath, Judy Moody, Stink, and Babymouse are sure to love Captain Awesome!

Eugene has a secret identity...Captain Awesome! H
Jessica
My son absolutely adores this book. I've been searching for a chapter book series with superheroes on his reading level (he's 6), and I was ecstatic when I found this at Barnes and Noble.

We've had this book a week and he's read it countless times already. When we were reading it together the first time and we got to the scene with Eugene's little sister having a tea party with his hamster, my son collapsed into hysterical laughter, tears forming in his eyes, and when he could finally breathe aga
Tasha
Eugene’s family has just moved to Sunnyview and he has to start a new school. Happily, Eugene is very courageous. He has to be in order to transform into Captain Awesome. Now if he can just find his cape, before he’s attacked by Queen Stinkypants, also known as his little sister! When Eugene starts school, his teacher gives him the responsibility of caring for the class hamster, Turbo. Eugene does a very careful job, until one day he discovers Turbo has been hamsternapped. It may just take Capta ...more
A real-life kid turned super hero stars in a series of early-reader graphic novel style books. I think that the layout and text might be a bit tough for reluctant readers, though the topic, language, and illustrations are definitely high interest.
This is the perfect book for reluctant boy readers. It has large type and is illustrated on each page spread. And it's about a boy who pretends to be a superhero! My 8 year-old has a vivid imagination, and I could see that he could relate to Eugene. My son said that he thought the book had a slow start and it really got interesting when Eugene went to school, made a new friend, and saved the day from the bully girl.

This is the first book in the Captain Awesome series. There are 6 books that are
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Background: Eugene McGillicudy is actually Captain Awesome! Fighter of the evil super villains, including Queen Stinkypants, hit baby sister. But how is he supposed to do all this when he can’t even find his cape and has just moved to a new place.

Review: Captain Awesome to the Rescue! is a very cute story about a young boy who believes he is a superhero and takes this secret with him everywhere…to fight the evil of his new hometown. It is wonderfully illustrated and imaginative, with Eugene’s su
Katrina
I just read this to Elizabeth after seeing it on a list of books to grab young readers. It did grab her interest and the rating is hers. She literally laughed out loud at the problems this super hero encounters. It was a cute book and a good break from Junie B. Jones.
Liz
Chapter book a la Captain Underpants with less toilet talk and a lower reading level. Great series for kids who want to read chapter books but are reading at a first or second grade level. I would love to get a handful of these for my classroom. Get there, Scholastic! I have book order points to burn...
Andrea
Another secret superhero story. Large type, plenty of illustrations. Eugene starts at a new school and saves the class hamster and makes a new friend.
Kt Ninjas
This book was AWESOME, it has everything that a book needs the pictures, heroic, and adventures this book was awesome from the start to the finish.
Marika
Captain Awesome has flown onto the shelves of beginning readers. With his sidekick hamster, he just might be able to defeat Queen Stinkypants (his baby sister), but what about school? Eugene (Captain Awesome) is new in town, and new in school, and on the first day of school he's already found a nemesis- Meredith. Captain Awesome may not be able to survive school alone, so when he runs into another superhero, it might be time to form a squad. For readers of The Magic Tree House comes a brand new ...more
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • Skippyjon Jones Cirque de Ole
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Wonkenstein (The Creature from My Closet)
  • Kung Pow Chicken #1: Let's Get Cracking! (Kung Pow Chicken, #1)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week
  • The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary, #1)
  • Rich: a Dyamonde Daniel Book
  • Penguin Problems (The Life of Ty, #1)
  • The Miniature World of Marvin and James
  • Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (Heroes in Training, #1)
When Stan Kirby was 6-years-old, he tied a beach towel around his neck and became Super Commander Beach Boy. He tried his best to protect sand castles from the waves, keep seagulls away from his French fries, and keep the beach clean.

When Stan's not creating the awesome adventures of Captain Awesome, he loves reading comic books, eating okra, and hang-gliding (but not at the same time).
More about Stan Kirby...

Captain Awesome (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Captain Awesome VS. Nacho Cheese Man
  • Captain Awesome and the Ultimate Spelling Bee
  • Captain Awesome vs. the Spooky, Scary House
  • Captain Awesome Gets Crushed
  • Captain Awesome and the Missing Elephants
  • Captain Awesome vs. the Evil Babysitter (Captain Awesome, #11)
Captain Awesome VS. Nacho Cheese Man Captain Awesome and the New Kid Captain Awesome Takes a Dive Captain Awesome, Soccer Star Captain Awesome Saves the Winter Wonderland