Start by marking “Captain Awesome to the Rescue!” as Want to Read:
Captain Awesome to the Rescue!

Captain Awesome to the Rescue! (Captain Awesome #1)

Bad guys beware! Eugene McGillicudy just happens to be the most awesome superhero of all time…Captain Awesome. MI-TEE!

Now readers between the ages of five and seven can read chapter books tailor-made for a younger level of reading comprehension. Heavily illustrated with large type, Little Simon's young chapter books let young readers feel like they are reading a “grown-up”
Published April 3rd 2012 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Awesome to the Rescue!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Awesome to the Rescue!

Barb Middleton
In the same vein as Roscoe Riley and Junie B. Jones, this book has a superhero theme that will appeal to the grade 2-3 crowd. The main strength of the story comes from eight-year-old Eugene McGillicudy's imagination as he deals with his fears of starting at a new school by embracing his fearless alter ego, Captain Awesome. When Eugene is given responsibility to take the class pet home, his classmate, Meredith, becomes jealous causing him trouble. Fortunately, Captain Awesome knows how to deal wi ...more
Tanner Brock
The only part I liked about it is how Captain Awesome found the class hamster in one of the girls bags. I didn't like the part where he got a new partner, because I think he was fine without a partner.
Laura5
I agree with Susan (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), the concept is awesome, but the writing didn't quite live up to the predicted awesomeness.
Despite that, I know students who are going to love this series.
My 7 yr old certainly did.
Susan
A new series for the 2nd grade crowd. The cover, illustrations, and concept are great! The writing is okay. I can think of readers who will enjoy this series.
Mackenzie
Jun 01, 2012 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the best book ever you should read this book it awesome. This book has a hamster named turbo. He is so cute. I think it is the best book I have read.
Heather
Jan 02, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain Awesome makes my 6 year old boy giggle uncontrollably while he calmly (!) sits in his chair reading. New fave series. By far.
Chris
Wow! What truly awful writing. The cover, illustrations, formatting, and concept are all appealing and I'm sure it will attract readers, but they'd be much better served by the many far superior options like Captain Underpants, Frankie Pickle, Squish, Wiley & Grampa, Super Chicken Nugget Boy, Missile Mouse, The Magic Pickle, and others. I had to quit after three chapters (of ten) because I couldn't take anymore and needed to rant; I'm not sure if I'll be able to force myself to finish the re ...more
Jessica
Jun 04, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-readers
My son absolutely adores this book. I've been searching for a chapter book series with superheroes on his reading level (he's 6), and I was ecstatic when I found this at Barnes and Noble.

We've had this book a week and he's read it countless times already. When we were reading it together the first time and we got to the scene with Eugene's little sister having a tea party with his hamster, my son collapsed into hysterical laughter, tears forming in his eyes, and when he could finally breathe aga
Brenda Kahn
Cute in that adorable, rambling, stream-of-consciousness two-year-old kind of way. It will have appeal, but there isn't much substance or continuity.
Booey
Aug 30, 2016 Booey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, superhero
This is an incredibly fast read. Eugene McGuillicudy is an eight year old with a secret, he is also the superhero known as Captain Awesome! In this first book of the series Eugene moves, changes schools, deals with several new and old enemies including Queen Stinkypants from Planet Baby, and solves the mystery when his class pet is hamster napped. Plus he makes a new friend!

This is a fun and silly book that would be perfect for 7-8 year olds who are getting started reading chapter books on their
Diana
Nov 19, 2015 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, cw-ableism
Overall this book left me feeling meh. The writing was not as smooth as I like to see in children's literature. I'm planning to give it to a 7 yr old to encourage his reading, and I'm worried it may be too young for him, but we'll see.

The downsides to the book: use of the word "lame" to mean "uncool" and a heavy gender dichotomy. All female characters with any part to play in the story were either cast as villains or suspected of being villainous.

On the positive side, Eugene's new friend is code
Kristin Fletcher-spear
In an endeavor to be better suited for my youth supervisor position at work, I am trying to read more young chapter books. Tweens and teens--I'm solid on readers' advisory on them. Picture books--I'm pretty good with them too. It's those 1st-3rd graders I'm not great with. And since I recognize this weakness (and I have a nephew now that age), I'm trying to rectify it. Captain Awesome is how I began. A seriously fast read. I'm tempted to bring it home and read to Charlie for bedtime because it j ...more
Libby Ames
I love this series for no other reason than the other morning my 6 year old got out of bed and said, “Mom, I’m going to go downstairs and read.” He enjoys listening to books, but this is the first time he read a full chapter book on his own and was motivated to grab the next one. Also, the main character doesn’t use potty humor or incorrect grammar to grab the reader’s attention. He may call his little sister Queen Stinkypants, but I can handle that.

Eugene McGillicudy seems like a regular boy, b
Marissa
Jul 02, 2014 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tate
This book reviewed by Tate age 6:
"captain awesome to the rescue! captain awesome is awesome. he is coming to save the day! In this book captain awesome's arch enemy is queen stinkypants (his little baby sister) and another enemy is Meredith Mooney. The thing I liked in this book is that he finds out who stole the class pet and rescues it. The book was really funny. His friend's super hero name is nacho cheese man. I liked how the artist drew the pictures."
Abby Johnson
I guess file this under books that just aren't for me. I know this series is popular with our young readers at the library. To me, it was just too simple to be enjoyable and mostly seemed to be about the young protagonist spouting catchphrases. Still, for kids who envision themselves to be superheroes and are just beginning to read chapter books, this may be a good choice.

Readalikes: Frankie Pickle series
Dana
Jul 14, 2014 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I just didn't love, or even like this one at all. I thought it was obnoxious and the kid was so negative about school, his sister, and meeting new kids at school. I also felt like it emphasized those stereotypes in a way that was not very charming.

Not every book needs to teach a lesson but there are so many good books out there that I won't be recommending this one.
Nicola Mansfield
Aug 02, 2012 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud as his reader.

A beginning chapter book for five to eight year olds and yet not written down to children that it keeps the attention of older reluctant or struggling readers. My autistic son is 12 and quite enjoyed himself with Captain Awesome & Turbo's first adventure. I also was very pleased. Nice large text, pictures on every 2-page spread, often more than one, makes use of all typical superhero devices and connects with the child as they imagine someone l
Mamatufy
Eugene has moved to a new school but he's managed to bring his superhero alter ego with him. He's called Captain Awesome. His favorite super hero is Super Dude & he has all his comic books. Once at his new school, he immediately meets Charlie, also known as Nacho Cheese Man. Together they solve problems in their school. Cute & not offensive at all!
Erin
Jun 29, 2015 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Team-read this with my 8-year-old daughter. She enjoyed it and thought the antics were hilarious. But she did have difficulty reading the stream-of-consciousness writing, and figuring out the author'a tone. Still, we got through it quickly and there was lots of giggling, so anything that gets my reluctant reader to feel warmly toward books is a winner.
Marcia
Always on the look out for high interest beginning chapter books and this one was fun. The superhero theme and faced past action make it a good choice--plus it is first in a series.
The lost classroom hamster storyline is really familiar, but Captain Awesome saves the day in a humorous way. I'll add more of these to the collection.
Oct 24, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boys, humor
I always find it hard to rate books in the 1st to 3rd grade range. Many of them are dull plot wise, and the dialogue is... well... like talking to a 6-year-old. Cute, but not all that enlightening. This book is no exception. While I found it to be rather dull plot wise, there are cute moments, like when Captain Awesome is battling Mr. Drools in his barkyard. Other moments, while funny to me, would go over the heads of most young readers, I think. For example: "Cheese Man is no longer on the side ...more
Michele Knott
I like this transitional chapter book series for beginning chapter book readers. I think it can be a bit confusing at the beginning that Eugene switches between his superhero thoughts and lingo and what is actually going on, but once readers get the hang of it, the reading and understanding should be smooth!
Joanne Palin
With a cute little 8-yr-old protagonist who pretends to be a superhero, this series is bound to be a hit with little ones. Short chapters, big font, and a simple story, thrown together with enough bathroom humor to keep the little ones in stitches, this will be a a popular choice for boys and girls alike.
Tracie
Apr 15, 2012 Tracie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth_fiction
Eugene McGillicuddy is a second grader with an overactive imagination and a passion for superheroes. He also has a secret: Eugene believes he is a superhero himself, none other than the highly MI-TEE Captain Awesome. When his family relocates to a new town, Eugene must use his superhero abilities to find a new sidekick (a.k.a. friend) and expose an evil hamsternapping scheme concocted by his archenemy, Little Miss Stinky Pinky (a.k.a. classmate Meredith Mooney) while keeping his toys drool-free ...more
Jen Bojkov
Cute series about a young boy whose alter-ego is a superhero. I like the premise, but I think the vocabulary is a little ambitious for the intended age range of 5-7. I've noticed in our library kids in 2nd & 3rd grade are interested in this series too- so i think it skews a little older.
Suellen
I'm reading this book a chapter a day with my grandson who is in kindergarten. This is the first chapter book that he's been exposed to. So far he likes it but I'm not sure he really grasps the story. Still, every day he reminds me that it's time to read a chapter.

It is a cute little story about how a boy lives out his fantasy of becoming a superhero.

My grandson gave it 3-thumbs-up!
Adam Dreece
Feb 09, 2015 Adam Dreece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My 4 year old son and I had a blast reading this book. The tale is fun, and scenes are great (especially when read with heroic voice). This is the first book that he's stopped playing on his iPad or playing with toys, and asked me to read a bit more of. He can't get enough of it.
Lora
Mar 30, 2012 Lora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
What a great early chapter book! It's got all the elements kids love: fun illustrations, ridiculous and humorous story lines (some filled with sarcasm), superheroes, and pets.

This is a great book for those kids just starting to read chapter books by themselves. And it looks like this is going to be a serious with at least 3 more books coming soon. Fans or Lunch Lady, Dragon Breath, Judy Moody, Stink, and Babymouse are sure to love Captain Awesome!

Eugene has a secret identity...Captain Awesome! H
Theresa
Mar 18, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-1, grade-2-3
o.k. Captain Awesome (Eugene) moves to a new town. Going to school the first day he runs into evil-villain Meredith Mooney. Teaming up with Charlie, they save the class hamster from it's certain demise. Cute. I think 2nd graders would enjoy this series. Order for library.
Tasha
Jun 05, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Eugene’s family has just moved to Sunnyview and he has to start a new school. Happily, Eugene is very courageous. He has to be in order to transform into Captain Awesome. Now if he can just find his cape, before he’s attacked by Queen Stinkypants, also known as his little sister! When Eugene starts school, his teacher gives him the responsibility of caring for the class hamster, Turbo. Eugene does a very careful job, until one day he discovers Turbo has been hamsternapped. It may just take Capta ...more
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • Let's Get Cracking! (Kung Pow Chicken #1)
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)
  • Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk (Stink, #7)
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • The Miniature World of Marvin & James
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • Penguin Problems (The Life of Ty, #1)
  • Bookmarks Are People Too! (Here's Hank, #1)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom (Heroes in Training, #1)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Rich: a Dyamonde Daniel Book
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book)
When Stan Kirby was 6-years-old, he tied a beach towel around his neck and became Super Commander Beach Boy. He tried his best to protect sand castles from the waves, keep seagulls away from his French fries, and keep the beach clean.

When Stan's not creating the awesome adventures of Captain Awesome, he loves reading comic books, eating okra, and hang-gliding (but not at the same time).
More about Stan Kirby...

Captain Awesome (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Captain Awesome VS. Nacho Cheese Man
  • Captain Awesome and the Ultimate Spelling Bee
  • Captain Awesome vs. the Spooky, Scary House
  • Captain Awesome Gets Crushed
  • Captain Awesome and the Missing Elephants
  • Captain Awesome vs. the Evil Babysitter (Captain Awesome, #11)