Start by marking “Every Man in His Humour: Quarto Version” as Want to Read:
Every Man in His Humour: Quarto Version

Every Man in His Humour: Quarto Version

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This edition breaks with the usual practice by presenting the 1601 quarto version of Ben Jonson's play, set in Florence, instead of the revised 1616 version, set in London. Robert S. Miola presents a meticulously edited and modernized version of the play as originally acted by the Lord Chamberlain's Men (with Shakespeare in the cast) in 1598. Miola explores the relevance o ...more
Hardcover
Published October 13th 2000 by Manchester University Press (first published 1600)

To ask other readers questions about Every Man in His Humour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Man in His Humour

Scott
I liked this play, but didn't love it. There were sections that I really enjoyed and others that didn't draw me in. I realize it's not a play about plot, but sometimes I wished there was more story to go with the wit. I'm sure it would have been much more engaging on the stage than the page.
Nicolas Shump
I'd heard that Ben Jonson was supposed to be a better poet than dramatist, but I'm not seeing much of either in Every Man in His Humour. Jonson has some good lines, but nothing really sustained. I found this play to be tedious. Perhaps it is better on stage, but I really don't see much "charm" in this comedy of manners. It took me several attempts to get through this play. I'm not all that impressed with Jonson as a playwright.
Nicolas Shump
I'd heard that Jonson was supposed to be a better poet than dramatist, but I'm not seeing much of either in this play. Jonson has some good lines, but nothing really sustained. I found this play to be tedious. Perhaps it is better on stage, but I really don't see much "charm" in this comedy of manners. It took me several attempts to get through this play. I'm not all that impressed with Jonson as a playwright.
Sean
While it preserves the unities, this one has problems with more major Aristotelian elements like plot/action. Witty, though, and an indicator of what Jonson could and would become.
Moira Russell
This was funny, but kind of manipulatively so. It was like he knew all the right ways to tickle you and went after them terribly methodically. But still, it's very funny.
Ginger Price
Bobadil is hysterical. Other than that, the play is a little bland and there isn't a huge narrative arch; everything seemingly happens within a day.
Charlynn Estes
Charlynn Estes marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Lisa O'brien
Lisa O'brien marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Elisabeta Țubec
Elisabeta Țubec marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Coord_sirwilliam
Coord_sirwilliam is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Pim
Pim marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Hazel Grace
Hazel Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
  • The White Devil
  • The Roaring Girl
  • The Jew of Malta
  • All for Love
  • Voyage (The Coast of Utopia #1)
  • The Rover and Other Plays: The Rover; The Feigned Courtesans; The Lucky Chance; The Emperor of the Moon
  • A Little Book of Mormon (and Not So Mormon) Stories
  • Autobiography of Madame Guyon
  • Four Comedies: The Braggart Soldier; The Brothers Menaechmus; The Haunted House; The Pot of Gold
  • Cato: A Tragedy and Selected Essays
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)
Benjamin Jonson was an English Renaissance dramatist, poet and actor. A contemporary of William Shakespeare, he is best known for his satirical plays, particularly Volpone, The Alchemist, and Bartholomew Fair, which are considered his best, and his lyric poems. A man of vast reading and a seemingly insatiable appetite for controversy, Jonson had an unparalleled breadth of influence on Jacobean and ...more
More about Ben Jonson...
Volpone The Alchemist The Complete Poems Bartholomew Fair Volpone and Other Plays

“THE greatest of English dramatists except Shakespeare, the first literary dictator and poet-laureate, a writer of verse, prose, satire, and criticism who most potently of all the men of his time affected the subsequent course of English letters: such was Ben Jonson, and as such his strong personality assumes an interest to us almost unparalleled, at least in his age. Ben Jonson came of the stock that was centuries after to give to the world Thomas Carlyle; for Jonson's grandfather was of Annandale, over the Solway, whence he” 1 likes
“For this I find, where jealousy is fed,
Horns in the mind are worse than on the head.”
1 likes