Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog Into Your Home

Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog Into Your Home

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  8 reviews
So here you are, right next to a new dog who just entered the house, and whose life history you know little or nothing about. Now what? How do you welcome an adult or adolescent dog into your home and incorporate this new individual into your family? This booklet is designed to help you ease the transition from "new dog" to "family member" by guiding you through the first...more
Published July 1st 2011 by McConnell Publishing Limited (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Love Has No Age Limit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Has No Age Limit

Liz
This is the book we were sent home with after adopting our two new springer spaniels, ages 4 and 7. It's pretty common sense stuff but was a good reminder that, above all, dogs need patience and love. No matter how many stuffed animals they eat, how many 'accidents' they have in the house, and how many screen doors they bowl through (my last week in a nutshell; couldn't be more smitten). Concise and positive book.
Bailey
Jun 20, 2011 Bailey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Great little booklet for people thinking about adopting an adult dog. McConnell explains how to prepare for your adult dog's arrival, how to help her settle in, how to build a relationship with her, and more. She also briefly addresses some common problems: housetraining, chewing, separation anxiety, etc. The best part of the book is the bibliography at the end, arranged by subject such as "Crate Training," "Barking," "Fearful Dogs," "General Training," etc.

McConnell's booklet is brief and intr...more
Jupiter394
Nov 01, 2012 Jupiter394 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone thinking of adopting a dog
A wonderful book for anyone thinking of or who has adopted an adult dog. This book is a great reference when you've first adopted, helping you through the transition and giving you some insights into what your new dogs behavior might mean.

It also briefly covers some some of the most common obstacles you might encounter. Just know that if you have any of these issues, you might need to get one of the more in depth booklets as well.
Sueij
Women in Afghanistan, race relations in the US post WWII, rescuing abused dogs. Can I pick 'em or what?

Anyway, this book was really good. A smart, concise summary and beginner's guide to bringing an adopted dog into your home. Probably not the detailed one we might need if/when we have specific training needs later, but a great start and overview.

Highly recommended as a start.
Fiona
Great resource for anyone thinking of adopting an older dog. Gives some wonderful tips on what to expect and how to make the dog feel welcome in his/her new home without being overwhelmed. The only downside is that the book could have used a much better proof-reader - there are a lot of typos and misspelled words in the book.
Abby
Best book on adopting an adult dog that I've read to date! Patricia McConnell is my hero. Full review forthcoming on my dog blog, Doggerel.
Leah
Very helpful for people who have just adopted a dog. So much of the literature is on puppies, not adults dogs from unknown backgrounds!
Colleen Strasburg
Great book for new k9 parents its short and easy to read but packed with helpful tips when bringing home a new dog.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Aug 09, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Joao Topete
Joao Topete marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Astrid Tryon
Astrid Tryon marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Kasia
Kasia marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Matt Woodward
Matt Woodward marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist, (CAAB) has made a lifelong commitment to improving the relationship between people and animals. She is known worldwide as an expert on canine and feline behavior and dog training, and for her engaging and knowledgeable dog training books, DVDs and seminars. Patricia has seen clients for serious behavioral problems since 1988, and i...more
More about Patricia B. McConnell...
The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend The Cautious Canine-How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears How To Be The Leader Of The Pack...And Have Your Dog Love You For It. ("How To" Booklets From Dog's Best Friend) Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Aggressive Dog