Start by marking “A Point of View” as Want to Read:
A Point of View

A Point of View

The BBC Radio 4 series, 'A Point of View', has been on the air since 2007. Of all the presenters, Clive James was a clear favourite, and now, for the first time, his original pieces - 60 in total - and all new postscripts are collected together in one volume.
Published November 1st 2011 by Picador USA

To ask other readers questions about A Point of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Point of View

Richard Barnes
Feb 19, 2012 Richard Barnes rated it it was amazing
Clive James has always been a great commentator - his earlier TV shows which were hardly high brow stuff, were still razor sharp funny, but it was his series of "postcards" from various cities around the world that made me really admire him.
From there I found his "Unreliable Memoirs", being his autobiographies.

I saw this on the library shelf just as I was walking out having already checked out my books for the week - and had to pick it up.

Each short piece is a transcript from a radio series in w
Julie
Jun 09, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a Christmas present and I've been reading it on and off since then. It contains all of Clive James' contributions to the Radio 4 10 minute A Point of View strand, and so is ideal for picking up and reading at odd moments, or to provide a break between other, longer books. I've been a great fan of James's writing for some time, and his Cultural Amnesia is one of my all-time favourite books. This collection of A Point of View articles is a master class in the art of the short essay. While ...more
Leigh
Sep 03, 2013 Leigh rated it liked it
He has a great turn of phrase and these radio talks are quite good. I was extremely disappointed and puzzled to read him repeatedly declare climate change as false, which has rather put a damper on my wanting to read more of his stuff. He seems to reject climate change as a social commentary, or a value judgement about having to revert to Stone Age living or an admission of western prosperity guilt. All of his points seem to be about sending up the relative spokespeople on the topic, criticising ...more
Jeff Howells
Sep 07, 2014 Jeff Howells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite writer/journalist/humourist/all round renaissance man bar none. This book is a collection of his Radio 4 talks and are as funny as his writing about TV and as insightful as his cultural criticism. If I had to take the collected works of one writer to a desert island it would be those of Clive James. The man is a genius.
Gill
Sep 13, 2014 Gill rated it liked it
always stimulating
Xanthi
Dec 21, 2013 Xanthi rated it it was ok
Although very funny in places, I found myself getting a bit 'lost' in some of these pages, as James discussed topics, events and people that were very much UK-centric and so I was not familiar with them. I also felt his climate change denial quite frustrating but it would not have been so bad if he just discussed it once and did not keep harping on about it several times over during this course of this book.
Craig
Oct 06, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm and witty, but would have been warmer and wittier without all the climate change debating.
Catherine Robertson
Mar 30, 2012 Catherine Robertson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-genius
So many great lines to admire and envy.
Bryan Summers
I'll read anything by Clive James.
Jack Jonmundsson
Jack Jonmundsson rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Zsa Zsa
Zsa Zsa marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Perin Gerrand
Perin Gerrand marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Richard Allen
Richard Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Shona Waby
Shona Waby is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
James Cathcart
James Cathcart rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Stuart Haining
Stuart Haining rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2016
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
janis m harvey
janis m harvey rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Susan Kassab
Susan Kassab marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Derren Hinch
Derren Hinch rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2016
Kev
Kev rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Nick White
Nick White marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Apr 03, 2016
Richard Arnold
Richard Arnold rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Emma Graham
Emma Graham rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Matt Hirst
Matt Hirst rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Joe Bananas
Joe Bananas rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Pragna Tevani
Pragna Tevani marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

An expatriate Australian broadcast personality and author of cultural criticism, memoir, fiction, travelogue and poetry. Translator of Dante.
More about Clive James...