Start by marking “A Point of View” as Want to Read:
A Point of View

A Point of View

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The BBC Radio 4 series, 'A Point of View', has been on the air since 2007. Of all the presenters, Clive James was a clear favourite, and now, for the first time, his original pieces - 60 in total - and all new postscripts are collected together in one volume.
Published November 1st 2011 by Picador USA

To ask other readers questions about A Point of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Point of View

Richard Barnes
Clive James has always been a great commentator - his earlier TV shows which were hardly high brow stuff, were still razor sharp funny, but it was his series of "postcards" from various cities around the world that made me really admire him.
From there I found his "Unreliable Memoirs", being his autobiographies.

I saw this on the library shelf just as I was walking out having already checked out my books for the week - and had to pick it up.

Each short piece is a transcript from a radio series in w
Julie
This was a Christmas present and I've been reading it on and off since then. It contains all of Clive James' contributions to the Radio 4 10 minute A Point of View strand, and so is ideal for picking up and reading at odd moments, or to provide a break between other, longer books. I've been a great fan of James's writing for some time, and his Cultural Amnesia is one of my all-time favourite books. This collection of A Point of View articles is a master class in the art of the short essay. While ...more
Leigh
He has a great turn of phrase and these radio talks are quite good. I was extremely disappointed and puzzled to read him repeatedly declare climate change as false, which has rather put a damper on my wanting to read more of his stuff. He seems to reject climate change as a social commentary, or a value judgement about having to revert to Stone Age living or an admission of western prosperity guilt. All of his points seem to be about sending up the relative spokespeople on the topic, criticising ...more
Jeff Howells
My favourite writer/journalist/humourist/all round renaissance man bar none. This book is a collection of his Radio 4 talks and are as funny as his writing about TV and as insightful as his cultural criticism. If I had to take the collected works of one writer to a desert island it would be those of Clive James. The man is a genius.
Gill
always stimulating
Xanthi
Although very funny in places, I found myself getting a bit 'lost' in some of these pages, as James discussed topics, events and people that were very much UK-centric and so I was not familiar with them. I also felt his climate change denial quite frustrating but it would not have been so bad if he just discussed it once and did not keep harping on about it several times over during this course of this book.
Craig
Warm and witty, but would have been warmer and wittier without all the climate change debating.
Catherine Robertson
So many great lines to admire and envy.
Bryan Summers
I'll read anything by Clive James.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Slow Man
Slow Man marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Dave Williams
Dave Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Thrown With Great Force
Thrown With Great Force marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Xuan Nguyen
Xuan Nguyen marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Carrie McCarthy
Carrie McCarthy is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Ryanly
Ryanly marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

An expatriate Australian broadcast personality and author of cultural criticism, memoir, fiction, travelogue and poetry. Translator of Dante.
More about Clive James...
Unreliable Memoirs Cultural Amnesia: Necessary Memories from History and the Arts Falling Towards England May Week Was in June North Face of Soho