Start by marking “A Point of View” as Want to Read:
A Point of View

A Point of View

The BBC Radio 4 series, 'A Point of View', has been on the air since 2007. Of all the presenters, Clive James was a clear favourite, and now, for the first time, his original pieces - 60 in total - and all new postscripts are collected together in one volume.
Published November 1st 2011 by Picador USA

To ask other readers questions about A Point of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Point of View

Richard Barnes
Feb 19, 2012 Richard Barnes rated it it was amazing
Clive James has always been a great commentator - his earlier TV shows which were hardly high brow stuff, were still razor sharp funny, but it was his series of "postcards" from various cities around the world that made me really admire him.
From there I found his "Unreliable Memoirs", being his autobiographies.

I saw this on the library shelf just as I was walking out having already checked out my books for the week - and had to pick it up.

Each short piece is a transcript from a radio series in w
Julie
Jun 09, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a Christmas present and I've been reading it on and off since then. It contains all of Clive James' contributions to the Radio 4 10 minute A Point of View strand, and so is ideal for picking up and reading at odd moments, or to provide a break between other, longer books. I've been a great fan of James's writing for some time, and his Cultural Amnesia is one of my all-time favourite books. This collection of A Point of View articles is a master class in the art of the short essay. While ...more
Leigh
Sep 03, 2013 Leigh rated it liked it
He has a great turn of phrase and these radio talks are quite good. I was extremely disappointed and puzzled to read him repeatedly declare climate change as false, which has rather put a damper on my wanting to read more of his stuff. He seems to reject climate change as a social commentary, or a value judgement about having to revert to Stone Age living or an admission of western prosperity guilt. All of his points seem to be about sending up the relative spokespeople on the topic, criticising ...more
Xanthi
Dec 21, 2013 Xanthi rated it it was ok
Although very funny in places, I found myself getting a bit 'lost' in some of these pages, as James discussed topics, events and people that were very much UK-centric and so I was not familiar with them. I also felt his climate change denial quite frustrating but it would not have been so bad if he just discussed it once and did not keep harping on about it several times over during this course of this book.
Jeff Howells
Sep 07, 2014 Jeff Howells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite writer/journalist/humourist/all round renaissance man bar none. This book is a collection of his Radio 4 talks and are as funny as his writing about TV and as insightful as his cultural criticism. If I had to take the collected works of one writer to a desert island it would be those of Clive James. The man is a genius.
Pat Abercromby
Pat Abercromby rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Craig
Oct 06, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm and witty, but would have been warmer and wittier without all the climate change debating.
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
David Cripps
David Cripps rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Jarrod Vassallo
Jarrod Vassallo rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Izzy
Izzy rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Darron
Darron rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Matt Hirst
Matt Hirst rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
chris hughes
chris hughes rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Calum MacBeath
Calum MacBeath rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Mark Brown
Mark Brown rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2014
Stuart Haining
Stuart Haining rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2016
Catherine Robertson
Mar 30, 2012 Catherine Robertson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-genius
So many great lines to admire and envy.
Carol Doherty
Carol Doherty rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Amro
Amro rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2013
Christine Dunn
Christine Dunn rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
paul culley
paul culley rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Pedja
Pedja rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Paul Arthur
Paul Arthur rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Tim Andrews
Tim Andrews rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Julian Lees
Julian Lees rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

An expatriate Australian broadcast personality and author of cultural criticism, memoir, fiction, travelogue and poetry. Translator of Dante.
More about Clive James...