I Want to Live  (Dawn Rochelle, #2)

I Want to Live (Dawn Rochelle #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,247 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Dawn Rochelle turns fourteen and her leukemia has been in remission for almost a year. But now she needs to receive a bone marrow transplant from her brother.
Published by Pages Publishing Group (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about I Want to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want to Live

Ling Juan
This was a sad book. It is about Dawn Rochelle a 14 year old girl who has leukemia, a type of cancer. She only have 50% chance of surviving. She doesn't want to die. She want to stay with her brother, mom, dad, and her friends. She doesn't know when she will die so she uses all her time preciously. I think this is how life should be. No matter how much time you have left in life, the important is to use it precisely and preciously. We don't want to miss a thing.
Rachel
Lurlene McDaniel was my favorite author when I was about 10 years old. The stories were all horribly depressing and I'm not sure what drew me to them but I read them over and over. i was so upset when Jaime borrowed one of the books and couldn't find it for a while. Man, was I glad when she finally found that one.
Frank
I just picked this book up and finished it in one sitting. It is as good if not better than the first one, "Six Months to Live." The author specializes in writing about and for kids with tough diseases such as cancer, diabetes and even divorce. She takes Dawn through the end of her first year of remission and ending her school year to go on to a new High school. But her report comes back that her bone marrow is failing. She is out of remission and needs a bone marrow transplant. But this book is...more
Soraia Esteves
Dawn has been in remission for a little while now. She attended camp where she met with an old friend and spread sandys ashes. When she returns from camp she helps her brother rob with planning his weeding to which he is marrying Darcy. When dawn starts feeling a little odd she attends her check up and learns that her leukemia is back. The best idea is a bone marrow transplant which rob is best tested for. He agrees to do it, going against Darcy's opinion on it. They break off the engagement bec...more
Karen
Dawn Rochelle has cancer. She has chemotherapy at the hospital when she gets a surprise. Her brother Rob has come home from college with a surprise..... a fiancée. She goes to camp for kids with cancer and has a great time, but when she comes back, her white count has skyrocketed. Dawn is really sick. So sick that she is put into the hospital. . Rob and his fiancée Darcy are planning a wedding, and Dawn is trying to survive. She gets weaker; it looks like her only hope is a bone marrow transplan...more
Kaylee Hamm
This book was very interesting to read at times I didn't understand it but I liked it. I would recommend it to really anyone maybe people that like love stories. This book is about Dawn has been in remission for a little while now. She attended camp where she met with an old friend and spread sandys ashes. When she returns from camp she helps her brother rob with planning his weeding to which he is marrying Darcy. When dawn starts feeling a little odd she attends her check up and learns that her...more
Caitlin Bickle
Dawn has been in remission for a little while now. She went camp where she caught up with an old friend and spread sandys ashes. When she returned from camp she helps her brother rob with planning his weeding with Darcy. When dawn starts feeling sick she goes back to the doctor and learns that her leukemia is back. The only way to treat this is to a bone marrow transplant which rob is best tested for. He agrees to do it, going against Darcy's opinion on it. They break off the engagement because...more
Books Kids Like
Dawn has been in remission for almost a year. She's tried to fit in with her old group of friends but finds it hard to relate to their major concerns of school, fashion, boys. Dawn meets their curiosity about her cancer with ambivalence. She wants everyone to treat her normally, but at the same time she knows they sense the difference in her. They seem to ask the dumbest questions. Just after her 14th birthday, Dawn's test show that the leukemia is becoming active again. A bone marrow transplant...more
Jessica Ong
In Book Two of the series, Dawn Rochelle has had a busy year. She's been to summer camp and she's helped her brother plan his wedding.
Rochelle is now 14 and has been in remission from leukemia. Now she's sick again and waits to hear the news: Now the big question is Has the cancer come back? This has gotten very serious and Rochelle is anious for the results

Why I picked up this book;
I picked up this book cause the cover looked interesting. Even though they day 'never judge a book by it's cover...more
Molly
Jan 23, 2008 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
This was the second book of the series. It was about a girl, Dawn, who has cancer and she can't stand having it. She always feels like she can't talk to her friends because she is "different." Her brother, Rob, donated some bone marrow which she needed to help her body fight the cancer. Also, while Rob was at the hospital, he met a nurse that he liked a lot and became very good friends with her. He was going to marry a woman named Darcy, but to see what happens with her, you will have to read th...more
Suki
I kind of liked this book because it really brings a strong message about life. It is about Dawn Rochelle who has leukemia which is a type of cancer, struggling to survive because she doesn't want to leave this world. She misses her brother, mom, dad, and her friends. She has only 50% chance of survival and she never knows when she is going to die. She uses her time preciously with her family and friends. I feel sad for her and it makes me feel lucky. She is only 14 years old and she have cancer...more
Jaelyn O
this book is about a girl named dawn rochelle and she has leukemia. She found out that her best friend died her name was sandy and she had cancer too. Dawn went to cancer camp that summer again to tell everyone the news about her friend. When she returned from the camp her brother was home from collage and he brought with him his girlfriend. Later that night he tells the whole family that he is getting married to his girlfriend in about 6 months. And dawn didn't like her one bit because she thou...more
Jusenda hansen
i have read all the books to this series and each time they have made me cry good books to read tho
Megan
This is the sequel to a book entitles Six Months to Live, that fact alone told me everything I needed to know about this book, and in fact, 120 pages later it was still all I knew. Obviously there is a girl—Dawn Rochelle—who is suffering from some likely fatal condition—leukemia, and who will make a miraculous recovery at the last moment—her brother calls her back from death after her heart stops. This sort of book uses leukemia, a terrifyingly real problem that many families must deal with, as...more
Valeria
This book reflects everything a person with cancer and the people around him/her have to go through. It's a very emotional book (i cried atleast three times) and its easy to identify with it. This girl goes through so much and still handles to recover from all those thing that are happening to her.
The book also shows how much a brother is willing to do for his sister. Actually, in the end, the brother plays a big roll on her life. He is the one to bring her back to life.
I trully recommend this b...more
Teaha
Sep 30, 2008 Teaha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can read
Recommended to Teaha by: no one
in this book a girl name dawn rochelle is in remission for cancer and want to be able to live past 15 but than when she thought things might be okay, her cance comes back, but it soo happens that the doctors can use her brothers bonemarrow to save her life, so dawn is in the hospital and trying to survive with all the medicines the doctors give her and plus the affects she has with the bonemarrow of her brothers that she almost died, but she comes back and gets to go home and hopefully gets to l...more
Robin Conley
I think I enjoyed this book even more than the last. Lurlene McDaniel's did a beautiful job of writing the scenes between Dawn and Rob, especially towards the end. I really enjoyed reading more of Dawn's story and can't wait to start the next book to see it continue. I did feel like time moved extremely fast in this one, but I understand why. Good characters, great writing, and a lovely story.
Bailey B
Cherokee
This book written by Lurlene McDaniel is the best im learning alot about leukemia and chemo. The book is very interesting for most people because they have something to relate to but otherwise the book is very good and i love the 1st one called Six months to live if you didnt read it already im telling you that you will cry as you go along.
Dorel
When I read the first book in this series I knew I wanted to read the rest of the books in this series. I felt so sorry for Dawn in this book. I loved all the parts of the story between Dawn & Rob. Like I said about the 1st book I loved the insight & understanding Ms. McDaniel gives you about Dawn's leukemia. I'm really glad I purchased this book.
Amanda
This is a great book.
My friend recommended these books to me and I am happy I read it. It is sad but it is still good and makes you think “Hey I’m lucky that this is not happening to me.” Or it can make you think “Wow I wish I could help these people that have cancer.” Great book everyone should read this series.
Lisa Buccieri
these books are totally some of the best books i have ever read in my whole life. They made me want to laugh, cry and rejoice about life. Dawn is an amazing character and i couldnt put this or any of the other ones down!!! they were all soooo good, you haveeeeee to read these.
Charissa
Oct 20, 2012 Charissa added it
Recommended to Charissa by: my old friend Serena
Shelves: bla-bla-bla
I didn't read the first one, but the second one did sum a few things up. Dawn has had cancer. She is in remission but she gets a relapse and ends up fighting for her life again. A very deep tale.
(Oh, and I love how on the cover Dawn's hugging a teddy bear. I don't know why.)
Molly
Dawn has been in remission for almost a year now, but when her Leukemia relapses she must undergo a bone marrow transplant. Will she survive?

This book was a little better than the first. It is still a bit dated by today's standards, but I think readers will be satisfied.
Elah Horwitz
This extraordinary book is about how a young 14 year old girl fights back her cancer which has been in remission for almost about a year. She has been struggling and fighting and hoping for a long time that her disease would go away. Dawn (the main character)
Shannon
The first two books of this series were some of my absolute favorite when I was young!!! I was so thrilled to buy the four book series for my daughter! I hope she enjoys them as much as I did! I am even tempted to re-read them plus the last two!!!!
McKell
Not the best book I've ever read. It has a simple plot line and not much character development. The story is about a young girl whose cancer is in remission but returns. It tells the story of her battle for survival both physically and emotionally.
Taylor
I loved the first book "Six months to live" then i read this one and now i am reading the third one and they are all so good i never want to put the books down till i was done reading the book.
Mary Bronson
I really enjoyed reading this book. Dawn is growing as a great main character. To read about her struggle to battle cancer is very heartwarming. I can not wait to read the next book.
Caroline
Dawn Rochelle overcame Leukimia, but now she has to undergo a bone marrow transplant, which wrecks her brother's marriage plans. And what about Jake Macka, her superhot crush?
  • My Girl
  • Alex: The Life of a Child
  • Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story
  • Too Good to be True (Sweet Valley High #11)
  • Hindenburg,1937
  • Vampire Kisses - Blood Relatives: Complete Edition
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • Some Girls Do (Love Stories For Young Adults, #11)
  • Princess Jellyfish, Tome 1
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
  • Elly: My True Story of the Holocaust
  • Summer (Witch Season, #1)
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • Jealousy (Canterwood Crest, #17)
  • Numbering All the Bones
  • The Demon Hunter (Oliver Nocturne, #4)
  • The Woman in the Wall
  • Birth of the Pack (Weregirls, #1)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...
Don't Die, My Love Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy, #1) I'll Be Seeing You Telling Christina Goodbye