The Good Body

The Good Body

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Bobby "Loose" Bonaduce is a just-retired professional hockey player who lies his way into graduate school to lay emotional claim to his son, a student he abandoned two decades before. He is also -- unbeknownst to almost anyone -- struggling with an insidious disease that promises to rob him of the one thing that never let him down: his body.

Bobby's attempts to navigate the...more
Published February 5th 2002 by Harper Paperbacks (first published March 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Body

Pooker
Read in July, 2010

Oh my. This is such a wonderful story that I wonder where I was when the book first came out in 2000. As I said in my first entry here, I picked this book up at the library's discards sale. Now, examining the book, I see that there are no library markings and the copy I have was actually published in 2010 by House of Anansi Press. How did it get to the library sale? How lucky am I to be the one who found it there. Pure serendipity.

The Good Body reminds me very much of Paul Quar...more
SixBeforeLunch
I don't, as a general rule, read books like this. I don't like what seems to be called literary fiction, books where the focus is almost entirely on the characters and there's...well, there's plot, but it's mostly there to serve the character's journey of discovery or whatever you want to call it.

My life involves a lot of sitting around and thinking, and a plot with no clear cut villians or endings. I don't want the same out of my escapism.

I picked this book up because it was tagged as hockey fi...more
A.J.
Minor-league hockey goon Bobby Bonaduce discovers he has MS and returns to Fredericton, hoping for one last chance to play hockey with the son he abandoned. His son plays for UNB; to get on the team, Bonaduce (now a more dignified "Robert") cheats his way into the creative writing MFA program. Complications ensue.

Bonaduce is a likable goofball surrounded by good, clearly drawn characters, and The Good Body is funny and engaging throughout. But the ending is unsatisfying.

This novel could easily...more
Candace Klenk
Dec 21, 2009 Candace Klenk rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: IDK
Have you ever see The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke? This is kinda like that movie except instead of the guy being a washed up wrestler he's a washed up hockey player, but this book wasn't really as much about hockey as the Wrestler was about wrestling.

I liked the book. I gave it an average rating just because this isn't a book that I would tell someone "OMG! YOU HAVE TO READ THIS" I read it, it was an easy read (I read it in 2 days). I did find is somewhat hard to put down, which is wierd cuz I d...more
Pmcdnld2
This was a great read. After 20 years playing minor league hockey and never making the pros, Bob returns to a small Canadian town to try to reconnect with the son and wife he abandoned years before. Goes back to college to Try to play college hockey even though he has been diagnosed with MS. well written and much humor in what is basically a tragedy.
SA
Nov 12, 2012 SA rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Another on the hockey summer reading list; I wanted to like it, and the writing was technically solid, but it was hard to relate to the protagonist, who mostly seemed like an unrealistic dumbass, and the ending was out of left field and didn't jive with the rest of the narrative. Weird book.
Cassie
May 08, 2007 Cassie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hockey fans, canadian literature fans
I absolutely loved this book! It was very relateable and emotional. And as Gaston has pointed out in interviews, there is so much great Canadian literature, and so much Canadian love for hockey, but the two rarely combine. And in this instance they do and the result is great.
Gabrielle
I read this again and upped my rating. I love Bill Gaston. This novel is sensitive, insightful, gorgeously written and unsentimental. What films strive to be and more often than not, fail.
Deanna
I wanted to like this book, I really did, but the ending was just really terrible. Nothing got resolved in the end, this book was meh.
Sue
Hockey player in the minors. Goes back to college in Fredericton, Canada. Sees his son Jason and his ex-wife Leah. He has MS.
Kevin Gallan
the best book i have read this year
Tommy
Katie
Katie added it
Aug 14, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Kayla
Kayla added it
Aug 07, 2014
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Zinzw
Zinzw marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Nicholas Forret
Nicholas Forret marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Lauren Doggett
Lauren Doggett marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Coriander
Coriander is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014