Start by marking “Solange Du lügst” as Want to Read:
Solange Du lügst

Solange Du lügst

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  38,181 ratings  ·  2,704 reviews
No one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and reversals. Sue Trinder is an orphan, left as an infant in the care of Mrs. Sucksby, a "baby farmer." Mrs. Sucksby’s household also hosts a transient family of petty thieves--fingersmiths--for whom this house in the heart of a mean London slum is home.

One day, the most beloved thief of all arrives--Ge
Published September 30th 2003 by Rütten und Loening (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Solange Du lügst, please sign up.

Julie I would not say it lightens up. If anything, it gets a bit more twisted. But you're definitely at the most upsetting part in terms of how people treat…moreI would not say it lightens up. If anything, it gets a bit more twisted. But you're definitely at the most upsetting part in terms of how people treat each-other physically....(less)

karen
Jun 10, 2010 karen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: michelle and dana
lesbian dickens!

now that i have your attention... dana has been bugging me to write a review of this for the longest time, and now that she is on vacation and out of my path for ten minutes (seriously - the girl moved to my town just so she could stand under my window all night calling "hey!! heyyy!! write a review for fingersmith! come on, you know you want to!!")

every night.

so, now that i have a little breathing room, i will do my best.

it's true, i want her to read this. i want everyone to re
Steve Sckenda
Jun 23, 2014 Steve Sckenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Brilliantly Plotted Historical Novels
Recommended to Steve by: karen
Sarah Waters gave me a finger fetish. Having long worshiped at the temple of the body of literature, I have never given the muse’s fingers a second thought--until this book. How do I convince you to read this brilliantly plotted novel without revealing any of the plot? The challenge taxes my ability.

After her mother is hanged by the Crown, Sue is raised by “fingersmiths” (thieves, pickpockets and fences) in the back alleys of Victorian London. Sue conspires with “Gentleman” to bilk an heiress, n
Paul Bryant
This totally wonderful novel does exactly what the title says, it fingers your myth, it steals up on your soul and breathes down its neck and a shudder of pleasure is felt to the ends of all your extremities, your brain will wobble, your hair will vibrate strongly, and your eyebrows will be thrust up and down like energetic trampolining children as the intricate-clockmaker plot fastens your eyes ravenously to every page - draw the curtains, do not charge the mobile phone, tell your friends you h ...more
Limonessa
I have to admit that throughout almost all of Fingersmith the main random thoughts sweeping across the desolate land of my mind were along the lines of: WTF? WHAT? WHAT DID JUST HAPPEN?

This is an intricate, ambitious, original, jaw-dropping, gut-punching, heart-wrenching plot for which I will NOT give you a synopsis. First, because I wouldn't know where to start from and second because it's better for you if you know NOTHING about it. Then you'll have my same random thoughts, as stated above.

I'
Cecily
A tricky book to review, partly because it didn't live up to my (possibly unfairly high) hopes and partly because I'm trying to write shorter, punchier reviews, but this was almost 600 pages long. I have failed...

Great Expectations

Waters is an award-winning historical novelist, who specialises in the Victorian period (and lesbian protagonists). This book was shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Orange Prize and her PhD thesis even covers a key subject of this book.

I was expecting something l
Tatiana
Oct 21, 2011 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Tommy Tomato
Shelves: booker, 1001, historical, 2011
As seen on The Readventurer

Fingersmith packs quite a few twists and surprises.

At first, after reading the book's plot summary, I expected it to be a rompish, Les Liaisons Dangereuses-like adventure. 17-year old Susan Trinder, a foster kid in a family of fingersmiths (thieves), is recruited to act as a lady's maid to equally young and wealthy Maud Lilly. Susan's role in the devious scheme is to gently push this naive and simple-minded girl into the arms of Mr. Rivers, strip Ms. Lilly of her inher
Candise
A friend knocked on my door one evening and I answered, looking disheveled and I think a bit frightened. She asked me what was wrong, if she had interrupted something. I said no, that I had just been reading Fingersmith and I was really stressed out because now I had to leave the house and didn't know what was going to happen next. And that is basically how this book took over my life (in a good way).

Sue is an orphan who lives in London in a house of petty thieves. A con man known as Gentleman c
helen the bookowl
4.5/5 stars.
I don't like to use this word but this book was definitely a "mind-fuck". I went into it not knowing much about it other than that Sarah Waters has written it, a lot of people have recommended it and I had previously read "Tipping the Velvet" by Sarah Waters, so I wanted to read more by her.
I LOVE that I didn't know what was coming because that made the reading experience so much more intense. I was in awe at several points in the book and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out
Catie
This book is like the most filling and nutritional junk food meal I’ve ever eaten. It has so many of the hallmarks of fluffy escapist literature: breathless action, turns of fate that are positively Dickensian, romance, family drama worthy of daytime television…not to mention an ending that I would probably accuse of being “too neat” in any other novel. But here…the emotions and characters just feel so heartbreakingly honest and real. Not to mention, any ending that harkens to one of my favorite ...more
Elaine
I am always a little scared of books that have been nominated for The Booker Prize or the Orange Prize because I always feel that they are books that I “should” read and enjoy but worry that they are going to be too “intellectual” for me and way over my head, so it was with some trepidation that I picked up this book and yet, when it comes down to brass tacks, I absolutely loved this read and feel quite bereft now that I have got to the end of it.

Set in mid 19th century London and its surroundi
Wendy Darling
A superbly written novel, full of great twists and turns. You may be able to guess some of what's going on, but the author will still surprise you with daring prose and unexpected red herrings. If you've never read the author before (as I had not) I'd recommend not reading ANY reviews about the book, not even the Amazon general description. The book jacket and this http://orangeprizeproject.blogspot.co... should whet your appetite enough. Trust in the author to do the rest.
Chrissie
ETA: No, this damn book IS worth four stars. I woke up early this morning worrying about my rating! Here is why I must give it four stars: I came to care deeply for three people: Susan, Maud and Mrs. Sucksby. Wait till you find out who exactly the last one is! They moved from being cardboard evil characters to people I felt compassion for. Yes all three of them. And look at all the other good things I have listed below!

***************************

By the book's end I was extremely impressed! By w
Amanda Clay
While not as sexy as Tipping the Velvet, this book is a gripping read. I envy any reader their first trip through the story, because you will never guess what's going on or what's going to happen next. Perfectly plotted, brilliantly realized. Unfortunately, Sarah Waters' most recent book is rather a snore, and in her next book she's promised to abandon writing about lesbian characters all together ('cause the world of heterosexuality isn't yet well-documented. Sorry to be so bitter, but it makes ...more
Adam
Jun 19, 2007 Adam rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like lesbian sex
Boring. Just boring. Painfully painfully boring. Are you willing to slough through 592 pages of wanna-be Victorian writing for a couple of plot twists and lesbian sex scenes?

Half the damn book was Waters narrating in excruciating detail who blushed when. Or, as she puts it, whose "face coloured" when. Note the 'u' in colored. That means that it's a classy British book and not at all a bland excuse to foist a little bit of bean-fiddling on those who are too repressed to admit that that's what the
Emily May
This is a Victorian murder mystery with a lesbian romance. You will probably love it, but even if you don't, it's highly unlikely you will have read anything else quite like it.
Tara
Mar 11, 2009 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like unexpected plot twists, Victorian & Gothic elements
Shelves: favorites
If you've read the reviews for this book below, then you know that this book is on almost everyone's "favorite" list, and for good reason. This is my #1 favorite book (a tie to Jane Eyre, which is certainly hard to beat). I read this novel several years ago and have since loaned out 3 copies to friends only to never get them back. I am, in fact, due for another copy -- because I must have one of my own on the shelves!

Essentially, Fingersmith is everything I could possibly want in a novel. The na
Stepheny

I have met so many fabulous people through goodreads. I have created friendships and bonded with so many people through books on this website. It’s truly remarkable.

What’s cooler than that? That it is totally acceptable for me to push books on people like a common drug dealer! The fact that these people encourage me to branch out and read books that I normally wouldn’t. Some of those books have been better than others, and some have really surprised me.

When the lovely Lisa suggested Fingersmi
Daniella
Part 1 = Amazing. Part 2 and 3 = Is this book over yet?!
Blair
I had high expectations of this: firstly, the one other book I've read by the author - The Little Stranger - is one of my absolute favourites, and secondly, I'd heard/read endless positive reviews of Fingersmith prior to reading it. It's the latter point that spurred me on to finally get round to it, as the plot didn't pique my interest in the same way The Little Stranger's post-war psuedo-ghost-story did. Fingersmith is set in Victorian England, and tells the tale of two teenage girls - both ap ...more
What to say about this book? Nothing, except that you must read this book if you are a big fan of gothic plot with plenty of twisted events during the narrative.

So far, this is my favorite book written by Sarah Waters.

A TV series was made based on this book: Fingersmith (2005– )

Cast

David Troughton as Mr. Ibbs
Bronson Webb as John Vroom
Stephen
Phrynne
An okay book but it never really grabbed me which was awkward since it was very long. The plot was very convoluted to the point where I actually gave up trying to understand who was who and why and just read to the end to see what happened. The characterisation was okay, the Dickensian setting well done and the writing good. In fact everything was in place for it to be a good book but it just never made a connection for me.
BrokenTune
3.5* rounded up to 4*

"We were thinking of secrets. Real secrets, and snide. Too many to count. When I try now to sort out who knew what and who knew nothing, who knew everything and who was a fraud, I have to stop and give it up, it makes my head spin."

It was with some trepidation that I started on Fingersmith. This was said to be the book that was most resembling a Dickensian story. I don't rate Dickens highly. I don't mind him, but I was afraid that people loved Fingersmith because they love t
Jasmine
Jun 07, 2015 Jasmine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes Victorian or Gothic novels
Recommended to Jasmine by: Lauren
Shelves: fiction, in-english, 2015
3.5 stars. Fingersmith is a very suitable book for the winter season. Sarah Waters manages to evoke this ‘Victorian-Gothic’ feeling I like so much in books. She describes masterfully Gothic manors, gruesome ‘lunatic asylums’ and of course Victorian London with its dark alleys and eerie shadows. It is an entertaining read and a real page-turner. The prose is simple with short sentences and not overly verbose, though still atmospheric.

Having said that, I must admit that I was expecting something
Corbin Dodge
Character is a fascinating thing, and not many authors can top Waters' ability to create character through dialogue. She also zooms in on details: the sound of a man rubbing his fingers along his unshaved chin, the pop from a fireplace that comes at just the appropriate moment--Waters can do it all. She's able to take point-of-view to a new level-- look over here, now here, now here. It's amazing.

Almost everything about this book is perfection. I love the zipper effect of the first two books be
Krok Zero
I dunno, guys. This is...not trashier, but shallower than I expected. It is basically a bloated Elmore Leonard caper novel in Victorian clothing, with a feminist POV and a deceptively dour tone. It's not bad at all, but I was expecting something meatier. The length isn't really justified, either; after a dynamite first act it gets seriously draggy in the remaining two thirds. OTOH, the period milieu is totally convincing and the dialogue is great. But I wouldn't give this more than a shrugging h ...more
Lisa
I was a little torn over what to rate this book - it is not without it's flaws BUT the fact that I loved it so much and will carry it around with me for some time means it had to be 5 fabulous stars!

I was expecting a book a lot like Tipping the Velvet which I really enjoyed but this book took some of that style and surpassed it.

Take an intriguing tale of trickery, turn it on it's head, add in a love story, opposing lifestyles and some odious characters and you've got yourself a mind blowing tale
Dianne
A very Dickensian tale, chock full of twists and turns. A loosely knit “family” of thieves and sharps in Victorian London are offered a proposal by a dapper and dangerous scoundrel they call “Gentleman” – he has found a 17 year old heiress, Maud Lilly, who will come into a fortune when she marries. If one of the thieves, 17 year old Sue, can get placed as Maud’s lady’s maid to encourage Maud to receive Gentleman’s attentions and marriage proposal, Gentleman will pay her 3000 pounds – after he ma ...more
DJ TweakyClean
WOW! This book is so damn good! It is one of those great books that I couldn't put down, because I wanted to know what was going to happen next, but I found myself stopping to admire the writing as well. It has a rich Dickensian style, both in language and plot. The big difference being that this is a Dickensian tale of Victorian London, through the modern eyes of a feminist and lesbian. It deconstructs the darker aspects of literary England in that period, and tells the tale of two young women, ...more
Christie
"There are always novels that you envy people for not yet having read, for the pleasure they still have to come. Well, this is one. Long, dark, twisted and satisfying, it’s a fabulous piece of writing…and unforgettable experience.” Julie Myerson, Guardian

Fingersmith was my choice for book club (2008). As always, I deliberated endlessly over what to choose and wanted to pick something off my ‘to read’ shelf. Despite the book’s length, reviews had promised a page-turner and they were right.

Fingers
Ferdy
Spoilers

Loved it. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much I did, after reading the first few chapters I was sure I was going to hate it, I found them utterly boring and was on the verge of quitting. Thankfully, I persevered and eventually found myself engrossed in the twisty plot, the cunning characters, and the grim setting.

-What's what: Victorian London. Dual POV (Sue and Maud). LGBT. Sue (orphan/thief/fingersmith) agrees to help Richard Rivers seduce and marry Maud, an orphan/heiress who lives
2015 Reading Chal...: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters 4 23 Apr 15, 2015 01:37PM
dark skin 6 79 Mar 12, 2015 04:00PM
A little disappointing 32 315 Jan 16, 2015 07:12AM
The 2015 Reading ...: Fingersmith (January 2015) 7 22 Jan 02, 2015 04:22AM
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: June {2014} Discussion -- FINGERSMITH by Sarah Waters 15 144 Jul 11, 2014 08:13AM
Guardian Newspape...: January Read: Crime - Fingersmith 9 28 Jul 11, 2014 07:08AM
  • Aimée & Jaguar: A Love Story, Berlin 1943
  • The World Unseen
  • Silhouette of a Sparrow
  • Afterimage
  • Life Mask
  • The Observations
  • Patience & Sarah
  • The Blue Place (Aud Torvingen, # 1)
  • The Colour
  • In the Forest
  • Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America
  • The Price of Salt, or Carol
  • The Dark Wife
  • London Orbital
  • The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For
  • Schooling
  • Master Georgie
  • Wildthorn
Sarah Waters is a British novelist. She is best known for her first novel, Tipping the Velvet, as well the novels that followed, including Affinity, Fingersmith, and The Night Watch.

Waters attended university, earning degrees in English literature. Before writing novels Waters worked as an academic, earning a doctorate and teaching. Waters went directly from her doctoral thesis to her first novel.
More about Sarah Waters...
Tipping the Velvet The Paying Guests The Little Stranger Affinity The Night Watch

“We have a name for your disease. We call it a hyper-aesthetic one. You have been encouraged to over-indulge yourself in literature; and have inflamed your organs of fancy.” 105 likes
“It's a curious, wanting thing.” 66 likes