The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)

The Calling (Darkness Rising #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  17,704 ratings  ·  1,431 reviews
Maya Delaney's paw-print birthmark is the mark of what she truly is -a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly everyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it's only a matter of time before she's able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others i...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 326 pages
Published April 10th 2012 by Harper (first published April 5th 2012)

Can't Wait Books of 2012
16th out of 2,496 books — 15,913 voters
YA Novels of 2012
21st out of 1,256 books — 9,985 voters

More lists with this book...

Phoenix
Maya's going to meet Chloe in the 3rd book! I love the Chloe books, I like Maya too but she doesnt have Derek :) I can't wait for the 3rd to come out or the second :)
Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

How do I put it gently? It is time for Kelley Armstrong to stop writing the same story. This cow, unfortunately, is almost dry.

I know, it sounds mean, but even though I mostly enjoyed the process of reading The Calling OK, this book is pretty much the same thing as The Summoning, The Awakening, The Reckoning, The Gathering, plus a couple of short stories relating to this whole Darkest Powers series. ALL of these stories have exactly the same plot. I do not even need to...more
Emily May

Reading The Calling so soon after finishing The Gathering is both a good and a bad thing. Good, because this book takes off exactly where we left the story in the last installment and there's absolutely no recapping for those who've forgotten what happened. Bad, because it only highlights the fact that Ms Armstrong does not have enough story for three books and this one was a complete waste of time and paper.

I really don't understand why every single publisher/author thinks that a trilogy is th...more
Giselle
Kelley has been one of my first well-loved and favorite authors since I discovered her Women of the Otherworld series. Since then, her Darkest Powers Trilogy has also been added to my favorites, and even though I don't love this trilogy quite as much, it's still filled with the Kelley awesomeness that I live for! The Calling, the second installment in the Darkness Rising trilogy, continues immediately where we left off; it starts at a full speed that does not ease up until the end, where we're l...more
Angela

Second disappointing installment in series

After narrowly escaping a suspicious forest fire that threatened to destroy their island home, Maya, Daniel, and their friends find themselves in even more danger as their rescue helicopter crashes and they’re left to survive and outwit their pursuers in a remote wilderness. As their potential captors get closer, Maya must struggle to decide whom to trust and what to believe about herself and her friends. Strange rumblings start to surface as others in t...more
Alyssa
THINGS I’D DO TO GET MYSELF A COPY OF THE RISING:

1. Force everyone I know to buy a copy of The Calling
2. Actually get down on my knees and beg for one
3. Burn my copy of [insert-bad-angel-book-here], or donate it, if that’d make my case look better
4. Go a week without my headache meds
5. Jump through a ring of fire

Okay, maybe not those last two – both seem pretty painful – but I’d definitely sacrifice quite a bit to get myself the next book.

The Calling was a very strong book. While furthering the...more
Michelle
Jul 31, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read
I really hope Derek, Chloe, and the others from the Darkest Powers are in this book.
Marie
The first book was amazing, and this was a good follow up- not as good but good. I've always hoped she'd give Daniel a chance, I love him he's such a great guy, wish i had a friend like him! I dont know what to make of Rafe, but I couldn't care i'm for daniel all the way hands down unless he turns out to be a real jerk which i doubt. Feel so sorry for him because he has a crap abusive dad! How can she not love him? Cant wait to see what happens.
I gave this one 4 stars because shes still not giv...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
I'll let my dear Sheldon to show you my reaction after reading this book

description

As some of you know I really love Kelley's books but not this one. I just got the feeling like this book is written only because it had to be done. I won't even start talking about know much I'm disappointed.

I'll write my reasons now and DON'T read it if you're planing to read the book. You've been warned.

(view spoiler)...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Okay
Rating PG
Thumbs Up 4.5
Overall: Hearth Thumping.
Characters: Well crafted.
Plot: Action packed like running for your life.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: DANIEL

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

Where we left off in the previous book, I was anxious to get started on the next installment. This book had a lot more action from the beginning. Again the storyline was slightly predictable, but it didn’t stifle my enjoyment of the story. It however was...more
K.
I have a feeling that some people are going to hate Kelley Armstrong's The Calling. It's almost impossible that she didn't think this was going to piss a few people off. This is a book you can't take at face value. Because at face value, this is a slow progressing plot, the romance is largely missing (though not entirely, it's just not with the same guy - shock horror), and as we get more answers about Maya, her friends and the bad guys, we also get more questions.

This is an adventure book. It'...more
Crowinator
I really liked The Gathering, the first book in this series, but even for a middle book, The Calling is disappointing. It's not that this series is eerily similar to Armstrong's first YA trilogy, the Darkest Powers books, because that didn't bother me with The Gathering -- I thought it was a successful refresh of a similar group of characters in a similar plot, with better characterizations and a better setting than the original. And I already expected the second book to be the weakest, because...more
Sharon Hsu
Oh my gooodnesssss :D

The cover IS HERE!!!! I love the title, it really does suit the entire series really well (in my opinion of course)

I can't wait for this and 2012 is a still a long way to go! WRITE FASTER KELLEY!!!!!!

One last thing: TEAMMMM DANIEL!!!!!!!
Natyra
It better be Jan 1st 2012!!
Erica
I really enjoyed the second installment, didn't go very far with the plot but it does mean were going to better get a kick ass third book, the ending was just screaming that were going to get the old gang back.

Ellie
Well, first of all, I can no longer call Maya The Girl With The Blue Face.

Darn.

Seriously. This girl looks nothing like the other girl did! And what am I supposed to call this female?! The Girl With The (what color is that?!)....Purple? Face? Light Grey? The Girl With The Light Grey Face. Meh. Also, what's up with the earrings? It's like the Darkest Powers series. Darkness Rising also has the Changing Jewelry Syndrome. -.-)))

I have a prediction to make!

At the end of the book, when that (view sp...more
Francesca
I have a 73 page rule where if I can't get into the book after about 73 pages I stop reading it. While I hate the idea that I spent money on a book I'm not going to finish, there are too many good books out there to waste time reading ones that I don't really like or can't get into. That happened with this book. I got about 100 pages in and became bored. I put it down a few weeks ago and am not sure if I'm going to go back to it. It's disappointing because I really like Kelley Armstrong - she's...more
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Ooooooh! That cover! Love the purple!

arp 10
Wendy Darling
Survivalist story + shifter. I should have loved this, because I really like the author's Darkest Rising series. But while the first book in this spinoff series felt like a loooong road to get to the main point of Maya's story, this installment is so jam-packed with action, there's barely any breathing room in it.

(view spoiler)...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
i LOVED this book! LOVED LOVED LOVED!

i have to admit at first it was a bit weird for me that these teen's were freaking out so badly over death but then i realized that that was actually the normal reaction and what im use to reading is POV's from BadAss UF heroines who stare death in the face everyday without a problem, but once i realized that i appreciated the teen's reaction more cause it was natural, prob the way i'd react even. plus a nice change from my usual books l8ly - not that i love...more
Alela
I believe the best way to read this kind of trilogy is when you have all three books (I did so with The Darkest Powers trilogy - it worked really well that way), but since I'm no saint and don't have a patience of one, I'm reading them as they come.
The Gathering was a little action-slow, introducing new world, new characters and another puzzle piece from top secret supernaturals experiments. Even if it was slow, it was also very interesting, new characters were strong and distinguished, present...more
Catie
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy of The Calling by Kelley Armstrong and all I can say is the book is absolutely fantastic.

I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong and I love to read anything that she has written. The Calling is the second book in her new series which is great. The calling is a perfect sequel to The Gathering.

In The Calling we get to see a closer look into the lives and abilities of all of the characters. This sequel was more about self discovery and being able to come to tu...more
Watson
Alright. So first things first. As in all love triangles, sides must be drawn. Shall it be the sweet, caring, attractive best friend who has been there through tick and thin? Or, rather, the sexy bad boy who is actually willing to sacrifice everything for those he loves?

The basis. So as you, dear readers, are already well aware, both guys have their plusses. My issue with going "Team Daniel" is that he and Maya are sooooo close, it would ruin their friendship! And with "Team Rafe"...I don't kno...more
Nozomi
Dec 05, 2012 Nozomi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Who else hates the cover?

Despite the unbelievability (supernatural or not, they are still teenagers), I liked this more than the previous book, because 1. action was happening, and 2. Armstrong no longer had to explain character back stories, so there was none of that "____'s parents are ____, ____ is ____'s ____, etc." Though I am glad that Armstrong shared more of Sam's backstory, I was still annoyed at how she had to be a cunt in nearly every scene.
Jeen22
Jun 25, 2011 Jeen22 marked it as to-read
i'm reading the gathering now just came across this i wish kelly would write faster i want to read the next one if this triology ends like the series she wrote before that i'm going to be freaking mad because the last one didn't end very well still why 2012 i'm goin to die before then i atleast hope it comes out jan 1st that way i will have money.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 12, 2012 Jillian -always aspiring- marked it as maybe-reads
Heh, I love the title because it reminds me of the band of the same name. XD
Lana
Aug 11, 2011 Lana marked it as to-read
April 2012?! It's such a long wait!! I want to read it now!
Hayley
Originally post at: http://bookmigik.blogspot.ca/

Kelley Armstrong wasted no time in getting right back into the story where we were left off with a cliffhanger in The Gathering. The plot line is very fast paced right from the first chapter, there a deaths, injuries, and many more chaotic things that occur with this book. In other words there is never a dull moment. Readers will be satisfied with character development, revelations revealed, and of course the fastness of the plot.

There were two th...more
Lola
First finished this book 22 April 2012. Re-read in April 2013.

Book 2 in the Darkness Rising triligy is almost as good as book 1. It's a great book and I loved every second of it. In this book we get to know the characters better, learn more about their supernatural heritage and we get even more questions. The book just made me want to keep reading, because I had to know what was going to happen.

This book contains more action than book 1 and where book 1 was still a bit of an introdcution the sto...more
The Calling or The Summoning? 36 118 Jun 25, 2014 06:22AM
Crazy for Young A...: The Calling (Darkness Rising #2) by Kelley Armstrong → Start Date: June 7th, 2014 20 24 Jun 09, 2014 08:06PM
Daniel vs Rafe 165 363 Jan 06, 2014 11:39AM
Lowdown on main events 1 11 Apr 09, 2013 07:27PM
the calling 3 14 Dec 19, 2012 04:12PM
Darkest Powers &a...: The Calling *Spoilers* 1 11 Nov 14, 2012 04:09PM
THE ENDING!?!?!?!? 32 189 Oct 29, 2012 12:39PM
  • Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves, #3)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • The Hidden (The Hollow, #3)
  • Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved, #3)
  • Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • Endure (Need, #4)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“Remembering. Forgetting. I'm not sure which is worse.” 209 likes