Start by marking “The Ridge” as Want to Read:
The Ridge

The Ridge

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,333 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
Described as “eerie, beautiful and resplendent” by The New York Times, The Ridge centres upon a spooky lighthouse where evil forces appear to be at work.

The lighthouse, which is located on an isolated ridge in Kentucky, had long been dismissed as an eccentric landmark – until its builder and keeper is found dead. Then a local journalist discovers the lighthouse's walls are
Published September 2011 by Hodder Ome (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ridge

Arah-Lynda
Jan 15, 2016 Arah-Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
Let’s see, what do we have here?

On a wooded hilltop in the middle of no where, on an isolated ridge, in eastern Kentucky, stands a lighthouse, constantly bathing the surrounding terrain with light.

Lions, tigers, cougars and leopards and all sort of large cats, sixty seven in total, have been relocated to a new rescue center on a large tract of land close to the lighthouse.

Deputy Sherriff Kevin Kimble of Sawyer County (home of the lighthouse and most recently the large cats) has spent year’s no
Jim
I've read & really liked a couple of mystery-thrillers by Koryta, so expected this to be the same. It starts out as one, but is also supernatural horror. That's a genre I have enjoyed, although less lately. I wasn't expecting to turn down that road half way through the book & I found it jarring. I'm not a fan of pigeon-holing books by genres, but in this case I would have appreciated knowing that bit of information up front. It requires a different mind set.

The characters, reading, twist
Jason
Oct 11, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
5 Stars

This is my second Koryta novel that I have read, Cypress House was my first (I loved that one too). After finishing this novel I feel it is safe to say that Koryta is a masterful storyteller. He breathes life into his words, his settings, and his story. He creates characters that are three dimensional. They are real. They are not carbon copies or cookie cutter cutouts. Most importantly he creates a cast of characters that are memorable.

I am not going to give any spoilers away with this r
Mike (the Paladin)
This one was close a few times. My rating for this swung from 2 to 4 stars at different times. The book opens and there is a section that I found so annoying that I was thinking "if it goes on this way I'm putting it down". The protagonist of the book Kevin Kimble, has an obsession with Jacqueline Mathis, a prison inmate who shot him (before the book begins). Whenever the character refers to her, thinks about her, talks to her, etc. he waxes almost poetic spouting superlitives about her.

It gets
Naomi
May 22, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Michael Koryta..I can't believe this author is just becoming known to me as this is the third book of his I have read and absolutely love, each distinctly different...this one flows like a fine wine it is so good. It has sucked me in from the first page with its' mystery and characters. Even though this book is over 400 pages, I will read it in one day it is so good. I am now starting to go back and read others by this author that I miss and he will be an author that I follow h ...more
Deborah
Earlier last year, I reviewed Koryta's "Cypress House." (Please see it on my blog in 2010) It was my first introduction to his writing. I became an immediate addict...Michael Koryta is a master storyteller. He is the type of author who could have us mesmerized for hours while we waited out a hurricane! And, we'd never even know we were in the midst of one except that it would be a fitting setting for his story. I could read his books in tandem and be entertained all week without boredom.

Koryta's
Almeta
Jul 27, 2011 Almeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dying2read
It was satisfying to witness the authorities interpreting the physical evidence correctly, and not, as was expected, being mislead. In other words, SMART cops, for a change.
(view spoiler)

Although I had an inkling of what had to be the only solution to the dilemma. I didn't want it to be true.

Lions and Tigers and (view spoiler)
Patricia
Jun 12, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chief Deputy Kevin Kimble is making an early morning drive when he receives a very strange and disturbing phone call. The call is from Wyatt French one of the stranger residents of Kimble’s county. Wyatt lives on a hilltop known as Blade Ridge. Wyatt is famous for his heavy drinking and his residence. Wyatt lives in a lighthouse that lights up the hills surrounding his home. Wyatt’s call is to ask just one question of Kimble and that is if Kimble would rather have a homicide to investigate or a ...more
Jeff
Jul 05, 2012 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Unlike others who did not like this book, I have no problem with the mixing of detective and supernatural elements in a story. Koryta is a gifted writer and the story here is told well. But, I live in eastern Kentucky where this book is set and that was one of the reasons I tried to read it. Eastern Kentucky is in the heart of that region now called "Appalachia," and has a unique culture and mindset - a cross of genteel southern, Bible-belt religion, and mountain pioneer thinking. This is the ho ...more
Gloria Piper
Mar 08, 2016 Gloria Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew! Upon seeing Koryta's manuscript, I can understand why he is an award-winning author. I didn't want to let go of this masterfully written novel until the end.

The story: On a ridge in a remote forest of Kentucky, far from the ocean, a lighthouse shines. Its beacon is too bright, too annoying for Audrey Clark who had chosen this unpopulated area to build a sanctuary for large cats. Even so, their existence is threatened. But that's not all. The man who built the lighthouse lives there alone a
Gatorman
Jun 22, 2013 Gatorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid, immensely entertaining tale from Koryta, deserving of 4.5 stars. Koryta does the supernatural thing much better here than in So Cold The River. This story of a suicide, a lighthouse and the age-old secret that connects them starts off strong and doesn't let up. The mystery is engaging, the characters well-drawn and the writing top-notch. The ending does not disappoint. Not quite a 5 star read but pretty damn close. Highly recommended.
Marvin
Dec 17, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a strong entry in the modern ghost story and the deal with the devil sub-genre. It took me a little while to get into it as it started out like many of the mainstream rehashed ideas that you get from the dime-a-dozen horror pulp writers. Yet Kortya can write and by about a third into it, I could see the story was not going to go the usual way. This is my first read from this author and I'm looking forward to others.
Diana
Jul 19, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-best-books
Dark and spooky, The Ridge combines flawed yet likeable characters, a creepy and mysterious setting, and a ghost story. Like So Cold The River, this book winds an entire story around a place touched by evil and the choices people make. I was riveted from page one. Highly recommended.
Miriam
Apr 11, 2011 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Michael Koryta to date! It is a super creepy supernatural thriller set in rural Indiana where there is an inland light house and an exotic cat rescue preserve (Based on this amazing place: http://www.exoticfelinerescuecenter.org/). You will be completely engrossed by this book.
Apr 14, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
Wow, this was a great book. I have not read a "thriller" for a long time and I usually avoid anything remotely "paranormal" thinking it will be hokey. But this book pulled me in from the beginning. Just this little feeling of unease. That grew. And grew.

Details were expertly revealed at a satisfying pace.

I would have given it 5 stars instead of 4 except I felt the ending was a tiny bit abrupt/unsatisfactory to me. Just a tad though. Also, while the book was very suspenseful, I still found it ea
Thomas Bruso
May 31, 2014 Thomas Bruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Dean Koontz, Michael Kortya is also on my must-read list.

A supernatural tale of mystery set amid an isolated stretch of Kentucky, where a haunted lighthouse and a tiger-cat sanctuary take up shape and pull the reader into its dark labyrinth of rich storytelling. Good characterizations and well-written subplots only add to the already irresistible reading experience that Koryta has to offer with The Ridge.

The murder of lighthouse keeper, Wyatt French, is discovered close to the beginning of
William Bentrim
Jun 04, 2011 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ridge by Michael Koryta

Once again, Michael Koryta takes ordinary folks and puts them in extraordinary situations fraught with danger and mystery. A lighthouse in the woods and an exotic cat rescue center draw focus on the deep woods surrounding a remote mining community with an unusual number of deaths.

Michael Koryta has the ability to bring to the printed word characters that you might know. His characterizations are detailed and clear. He paints scenarios that are vivid and emotionally ev
David
Sep 25, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a long Michael Koryta tear, where I was reading book after book by this author. Some were better than others, most quite good. "The Ridge" was a big disappointment. This is a book that is fairly confused about what it wants to be. It is a cross between a detective novel and a supernatural thriller, and not a good example of either genre. The two main problems are the plot and the characters, both of which are weak.

The plot is a mix of detective novel plot devices: "Detective
Gloria Feit
Aug 28, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixing mystery with the supernatural, Michael Koryta has developed works that are eerie and fascinating, and “The Ridge” is no less than captivating. The plot is somewhat complicated, and it takes a while to follow the thread. And, of course, it requires suspension of disbelief. But it does hold the reader from start to finish.

The story involves a particular area in Kentucky where over a century or more, a series of accidents and deaths occur. In the midst of a forest, a drunkard has built a lig
Miles
Sep 09, 2011 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
On an isolated ridge in the Kentucky woods stands a homemade lighthouse, hundreds of miles from any substantial body of water. Local reporter Roy Darmus has always found it an amusing oddity- until he is selected as the recipient of a suicide note from its builder. Roy enters the bizarre structure to find the walls covered in maps bearing the names of the dead - including his own parents, who were killed in a car accident when he was a boy. Roy soon has a storytelling assignment more daunting th ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Jun 24, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy lighthouses, my wife even more than I. We like to visit them whenever and wherever we are. The one in this story though, no thanks we will pass on it. I am a big fan of Michael Koryta and his writing. Revisiting his detective series is something I am holding out for though, each time there is more news from his camp, I am hopeful. Okay it’s a Friday, we have a pretty hot blogtalk show to do in a little bit, let’s get to the action and then chat a little on what is between the covers:
“On
Tonile {My Cup and Chaucer}
Anyone who knows me well knows that I love a good scary story. Ghosts and spooky things that go bump in the night have always appealed to me, and rather than try to shut that odd side of me out, I have found that embracing it makes me infinitely happier. So it was a happy discovery when I found Michael Koryta had released a new book, The Ridge. I read The Cypress House earlier in the year and while I did like the chilling tale of the man who could see death before it arrived, I enjoyed The Ridge ...more
Mary Gramlich
May 15, 2011 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE RIDGE written by Michael Koryta
06/11 - Little, Brown & Company - Hardcover, 368 pages

Can you control the madness when good and evil reside in the same body?

Deputy Kevin Kimble is a good cop that keeps things going in the right direction for the fine folks of Sawyer County in eastern Kentucky. His path collides with everyone but during the latest event on Blade Ridge, nothing is as it appears and every direction he takes leads him to another mystery.

The crime scene he is called to at fir
Lighthearted
Why would someone build a lighthouse in the middle of the woods? A curious landmark for years, given its location in an isolated stretch of eastern Kentucky, the strange, pulsing light in the abandoned mining country hasn’t warranted much attention until recently. The creation of a large-cat sanctuary nearby changes things, however. Wyatt French, builder of the lighthouse, is not happy that the sanctuary will bring visitors to his neck of the woods; Audrey Clark, owner of the sanctuary, is not h ...more
Clark Hallman
The Ridge by Michael Koryta is a very creative and enjoyable novel. It takes place in a rural area of the forested hills of Eastern Kentucky near a small town. Wyatt French, a long-time eccentric resident of the area, built a lighthouse on the ridge that runs through his property. The powerful light shines its beacon over the forested valley and the small river that flows through it. It also illuminates a big cat sanctuary that is adjacent to French’s property and provides a home to numerous lio ...more
Lindsay
Should be 3.5. I wish I could do half-points!

This is my first novel by Michael Koryta, but it will not be my last. I'm glad I have "Cypress House" waiting, because I really enjoyed "The Ridge, and I'm eager to read more.

I loved the setting of this novel- tucked away in the Kentucky hills. I loved the melding of supernatural elements and mystery, and I loved the way Koryta paced his book. I never felt like it was dragging, and he managed to throw in at least one really good twist.

If I have a com
Jen
Jun 26, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Michael Koryta's almost as long as I've been reading crime fiction. When Koryta branched out to try his hand with the supernatural, I followed despite the fact that it wasn't my cup of tea. His work in this area intrigued me and captivated me, due in large part to the qualities that make him such a fabulous crime writer as well. He tells a superb story with fascinating, well-developed characters. However, when asked what my favorite work of his was, I always went back to his s ...more
Bobby
Jul 28, 2013 Bobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while a really good supernatural book comes along with possible solutions to real threats....this is one of those times! An excellent, non-stop story that incorporates a big cat sanctuary into a devil possession tale. Not sure how Mr. Koryta did that but its quite an accomplishment. Even the character development, though not extensive, is enough to relate to the people in Blade Ridge.

The deaths over the decades have a commonality that are discovered by a "put out to pasture" news
Stefanie
Jul 06, 2011 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems to be a pattern that I'll take a day off sick to stay home and rest and then will be completely unable to sleep, so I end up spending the whole day in bed reading. I did that today and read this book pretty much in its entirety.

This is the second Michael Koryta book I've read, after Mom suggested I try his "So Cold the River." He's based in Indiana and writes about places that I have visited with my family, so I really like the local appeal. "The Ridge" is based in part on a real-life
Kelly Hager
Apr 26, 2011 Kelly Hager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't want to say too much about the plot because most of the fun is in learning what's happening. But it's set in Kentucky and there's a lighthouse...even though it only lights up the woods. And there's a sanctuary for lions, tigers and cougars. And there's a suicide. And things get really strange.

Oh, holy crap, this book. It's very, very creepy and unsettling. I don't think "unsettling" is even strong enough for it. But even more than that, it's also incredibly well-written.

I've read (count
Ira -- A question 3 24 Aug 21, 2014 07:33PM
  • Spiral
  • The White Devil
  • The Glass Demon
  • The Painted Darkness
  • Motor City Shakedown
  • Those Across the River
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • The Broken Ones
  • Dead Bad Things
  • Bedbugs
  • The House of Lost Souls
  • Pitch Dark
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • To Dwell in Darkness (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #16)
  • Gone 'til November
  • The Silent Land
  • The Burn Palace
  • The Evelyn Project
Michael Koryta (pronounced Ko-ree-ta) is the New York Times-bestselling author of 11 suspense novels. His work has been praised by Stephen King, Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Dennis Lehane, Daniel Woodrell, Ron Rash, and Scott Smith among many others, and has been translated into more than 20 languages. His books have won or been nominated for the Los Angeles Times Boo ...more
More about Michael Koryta...

“You have bound us, Kimble imagined saying, to an evil world. Where’s the love in that? And in that scenario, God always answered, Temporarily bound you, yes. Now, during your time in that evil world, did you do anything to help?” 3 likes
“The walls were bare wood now, unadorned by the maps and photographs. All that remained was the thumbtacks, which protruded in all directions, tilting like gravestones in a forgotten cemetery.” 0 likes