Start by marking “The Sound of Thunder” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Thunder

The Sound of Thunder (Courtney #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  4,050 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The year is 1899. The British Empire is at the height of its power. But in South Africa, proud Dutch colonists defy the Queen and her army--and a lush, wild world is torn apart by guns, spears, and swords.

Sean Courtney had been tragically separated from his family, but the Boer War has brought him back to his homeland--and into the sights of his enemy's guns. It has also r
Published October 2nd 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Thunder

Graham
The follow-up to Smith's first book, WHEN THE LION FEEDS, is a continuation of the same story following the cliffhanger that the first novel ended upon.

We learn more about Sean Courtney's life at Ladyburgh, his experiences in the 2nd Boer War and finally the next Courtney generation, i.e. his children by various mothers.

In my mind, the book falls into three sections. The first part flies by as it reintroduces the central characters, throws in some new personalities and sets up the second part, w
Jacqie
I'm reading some books about South Africa or by South African authors in preparation for a trip. So I gave Wilbur Smith a shot...

Yeesh. It's amazing how... primitive this book felt. So old-fashioned in the writing style and outlook. The main character is Sean Courtney. In the beginning of the book he's returning from a years-long elephant hunt, loaded down with ivory that he will use for the enrichment of his family. He's also got his young son with him.

This book seems firmly in the camp that h
Tammi Morgan
I am really struggling with this book. Feel I should have brushed up on my Boer War History before attempting this. So boring and confusing as to the ranks in the army. I am also finding myself annoyed with Garrick and Sean. The misunderstanding as to what happened between Anna and Sean is wearing thin and I am almost certain that only at the end will it all be resolved. Am still going to plough through, even though I keep falling asleep before I have read a couple of pages.

Still didn't enjoy th
Sandi
While not quite as good as the preceding book, When the Lion Feeds, lots of action, adventure, and larger than life characters made this an entertaining page turner.
Matthew
I could not put this book down. The first book in this series, When the Lion Feeds, was an instant favorite for me. This book made me fall in love with the Courtney's at an entirely new level. Every emotion represented so clearly through a family I became so connected to.
Pablos
Załóżmy, że potrafię się zmusić do wysiłku, którego efektem będzie maksimum obiektywizmu z mojej strony. To raczej niemożliwe, ale załóżmy, że się udało. Wtedy podstawową myślą, jaka towarzyszyła by mi podczas lektury ciągu dalszego genialnej powieści powinna brzmieć mniej więcej tak: nie powinno się tomowi drugiemu wystawiać maksymalnych ocen, albowiem autor zgarnął już chwałę i szacunek przy tomie pierwszym. A teraz zwyczajnie kontynuuje doskonałą historię, wykorzystuje swoich własnych bohater ...more
Annalize
Wilbur Smith's second book on the Courtney family is as gripping and easy-to-read as the first. They way the characters form make them crawl into your heart as if they were real.

Following on the first, Sean and Garrick Courtney are going to war against the Boers in South Africa. Apart from colourful pieces of war history, and a compassion for both sides of the war, the story does not stray from the fact that life goes on.

This is a good second installment, and a must if you've read the first!
Luckngrace
My version was titled "The ROAR of Thunder". It must have been the oldest version and was changed. It is 2nd in the Courtney Series and does not disappoint. The twin brothers, Sean and Garry, fight the Boer War. Always at odds, decisions made for themselves impact their twin catastrophically. The 3rd generation of Courtneys enter the storyline and provide great entertainment. It was especially interesting to me which Courtney characteristics are carried through into each child and which twin tha ...more
James
This the first book by Wilbur Smith that I had read. It was over ten years ago and my coworker left the book on the counter at the gas station we worked at. I borrowed the book forgetting to tell her that I took it. She was nice about it and said it was OK. Ever since that first book, I've been a fan of Smiths work.
I would consider his work comparable in detail and excitement with a dash of the unexpected situations that the characters have to come up with novel and genuine solutions to overcom
Mark Edlund
Historical fiction
Smith continues the Courtney saga with a book about the Boer War. Sean's multiple progeny populate the book and help reach to the next book and generation. Great action continues and the characters are still larger than life.
No Canadian references.
Bryce Gordon
What an enjoyable book, I'm not the best reviewer as I just want to tell people what ended up happening. Though for my second book I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm not sure if I liked it as much at the first instalment (when the lion feeds) though it was great all the same
Wayne Martens
As it is largely about the Boer war , I loved all the history about our country, a must read for anyone who has an interest about the Boer war.
AndyS
Slammed right through this book today!

I am so impress this Wilbur Smith's story telling...

Loved this book...
Todd
Loving the saga aspect of this series, but this book spent a lot of time on battles and fights and wars so I found myself flipping past scenes where the author describes endlessly what is happening in what is merely a competition, whether it be between two men (Sean and Jan Paulus for example, more than once) two peoples two brothers etc. Hopefully, the future books got the competition/battle thing out of the way and there won't be as many and it'll focus more on the other aspects of the charact ...more
Laura-lee Leslie
Got through it, but got a bit irritated by him moving from woman to woman.
Caroline Dhont
Waar boek 1 echt goed was, was deze het exacte tegenovergestelde. Heb me nog nooit zo door een boek moeten worstelen! Jammer!
Mee
My addictive Courtney love continued and went onto the third...
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Woohoo the witch is dead...I was so relived that she went the way she did nothing less than she deserved.
Nice to have a respite from dirk as well going away, such an evil child apart from his love for his dad. And did he have anything to do with Mary :(
I found the first half of the book a bit of a jumble as you flit between the boer and the English and I got confused at some points but the second half after the war I found it an easier and faster pacing book and quite exciting wanting to know w
Andrew
The Sound of Thunder is a boys' book: brawling, drinking, women, horse racing and war. This is the second of Wilbur Smith's Courtney series, and follows the adventures of Sean Courtney, who was introduced in When the Lion Feeds.

Set in South Africa at the start of the twentieth century, Sean spends the first half of the story working his way up through the ranks of the British Army during the Boor War. Then, he heads home to rebuild his fortunes (again).

A light, fun book - I've already got A Spar
Ian Copsey
Another historical lesson from Wilbur Smith
Katherine
I was getting mixed up at the beginning with s,it's other series I have read some of. The ballantine characters, so I had to go back and read a summ,ary of the prequel to this, when the e lion feeds to get it straight. after that it was ok. I little heavy on long battle scenes and descriptions. Also, over two novels Sean doesn't seemed to have learned or grown very much, a little at the end of this one. Still. I enjoy the setting and the history, so I will continue with the next in the series as ...more
Dark-Draco
This is the second book the the epic Courtney saga. Sean has been living in the wilds of Africa with his young son, Dirk. They return to town on the eve of war and soon Sean is caught up in the fight against the Boers. But old antagonisms soon come to bear on his life and nothing works out the way he planned.

A good, fast-paced thriller. Lots of action and 'smoochy bits'. The characters that I so wanted to get their comeuppance in the last novel, do here, so you have to give a bit of a cheer!
Naomi
This book continues with the story of Sean Courtney and his brother, Garrick. Both serve in the British army during the Boer war. Sean on the fields of battle and Garrick in headquarters. After the war is over the conflict between the brothers escalate even more. Sean becomes a man to be reckon with while his brother continues to avoid evolving himself in any kind of like due to his wife Anna. The background of the coming of age of South Africa is interesting history and very well described.
Logan Crowe
Please bear in mind that I am a huge Wilbur Smith fan, probably what prompted me to start writing. The settling of Africa, the struggles in SouthAfrica, Rhodesia, the epic battle of conquests when men who were real men faced challenges of immense proportions. This is the story of an epic struggle to survive during the early years in Africa, when wildlife was untamed, enemies very real and tragedy all around. Leave enough time to finish this one if you start it. Fabulous....
James Hayward
second instalment of the Courtney series is an amazing read. It follows Sean through some highs and lows and also brings in his two sons who don't like each other and his daughter , the last few chapters are intense reading . You will not want to put this book down, Its drawing you in to the next installment in the Courtney series. This is my second Wilbur Smith book and I am at aww with the amount of detail and character building he gives the reader
Donna Collier
Very engaging story. Not as good as the first one, but I will still continue on with the VERY long series. . .
Tasha
3.5

While still really good, especially the beginning and the ending, the middle slogged a bit. I learned much about the Boer War which, sad to say, was completely new to me. While interesting, the story itself didn't engage me like the ending did, once all returned back to 'normal'. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Bruce
I think I liked this one better than the first one in the Courtney series. Wilbur Smith writes some of the most entertaining historical fiction I have ever read. This one is about the Boer War in South Africa at the beginning of the 20th century. I've heard about it, but didn't know much. Wilbur Smith did a great job of educating while entertaining. Highly recommend this book.
Marianne
Highly recommend this series to anybody who likes historical fiction. Smith is a consummate writer with tons of credibility because he was born and lived in So Africa.

Most of this book is about the Boer War, which I knew very little about.
Deep development of characters.

IMO not as smashing as the first novel, but I'm already looking forward to the next in the series.
Obinna Udenwe
Wilbur Smith is a writer i admired from childhood and i cannot stop reading his books because they take my mind back to my childhood. The bush burnings in the village, the plays, the moonlight tales and the country food.

This book continues to introduce more intriguing character of courtney. I am in love with it just like When Lion Feeds.

Obinna Udenwe
  • Copperhead (The Starbuck Chronicles, #2)
  • Whitethorn
  • The Other Side of Silence
  • The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
  • Kringe in 'n bos
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • The Field of Swords (Emperor, #3)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • Running Blind
  • The Second Saladin
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

Courtney (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1)
  • A Sparrow Falls (Courtney #3)
  • The Burning Shore (Courtney #4)
  • Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)
  • Rage (Courtney #6)
  • A Time to Die (Courtney #7)
  • Golden Fox
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • Monsoon (Courtney #10)
  • Blue Horizon  (Courtney #11)
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)