Buying Trouble (Dorina Basarab, #1.1)

Buying Trouble (Dorina Basarab #1.1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Claire just wants to keep out of trouble. But that isn't always easy when you’re a mage with the extremely unusual ability to block all magic around you. And when Claire’s sleazy boss decides Claire herself is the most valuable rarity to sell at a magical auction, trouble finds her. Now, her only hope for survival is to trust a mysterious and handsome stranger, a Fey Lord...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Penguin.com USA

To ask other readers questions about Buying Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buying Trouble

Mel
Claire is a null who works at an auction house, just trying to mind her own business, when she discovers that SHE is the one up for sale. In the chaos that ensues, Claire accidentally gets shifted to Faerie with a Light Fey lord by her side. One who she happens to unexplainably find very attractive...

Typical Karen Chance: fast, fun and sexy. The story is set in the Cassie Palmer universe which is wonderfully built. Claire is a bit quirky but very funny. Heidar is just hilarious with his dry Fey...more
I read this story as part of the On the Prowl anthology

Buying Trouble - Karen Chance 4/5 Stars
This was my second favorite story in the anthology and one I was looking forward to reading as I'm a big fan of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series. Claire is a great character & I believe she is Dory's roommate from the Dorina Basarab series but you don't need to have read any of those books to enjoy the story. I loved Heidar, he's probably up there with my favorite leading men from Karen's books....more
Anoolka
I seem to like Karen Chance's short stories more than her full novels. I liked Clare here far more than in the first Dorina book. Fascinating bits of worldbuilding - this universe gets richer and richer and I'd like more from the pov of the fae (especially dragons) and the weres (from the other short stories).
Cons - Very speedy romance and too little family interactions - glossed over first encounter with long lost father and brother... missed opportunity for some interesting stuff, imho.
Anna
I liked this short story about Claire, the null witch and Dory's room mate who encounters the fey and realises some truths about her own ancestry. I read it as part of the anthology On the Prowl not as a standalone but I've re-entered it here so it shows up on 'my books'as I tend to think of it as Claire's story rather than the Dory prequel.

I found Claire in the Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series quite endearing so I was pleased she had her own story, even though she had been a relatively minor...more
Sandra
Short for $2.99 or in the anthology On the Prowl.

I really liked the first half of this story, it was set in interesting world and the main character was appealing. The whole dragon plot-twist caught me off guard, and took a little while for me to warm up to, although I eventually liked where it went (although it wasn't super surprising). The main thing that bothered me was that after getting involved in these characters lives, the action ends and the story abruptly cuts off in a couple paragraph...more
Anne
Novella about Claire and how she met her Fey (and found her twin self). This should be read after Midnight's Daughter. Ms. Chance is a great story teller, and has created a couple of good series - Cassie Palmer and Dory Basarab.
Audrey
Loved this novella ! The attraction between Haidar and Claire was a little far fetched before but it all made sense in the end. Cute short story to provide some more depth in Claire. Definitely recommend it if you love the Corina Basarab series
Natalie
I really liked this...However, I think it could have been a much longer story and really needed to either be finished from claire's point of view or it needed to be left alone and just told as it was in Dory's book. I really enjoyed the back story but I felt like if we were going to go there-we at least needed to be brought up to speed where we left off in Midnight's Daughter. After finishing this read...I was just left feeling cheated out of the rest of the story and I know I will never get it....more
Deborah Replogle
Actually a novella, but a nice side story of one of the major characters in the Dorina Basarab series. Urban Fantasy category, and an entertaining fast read.
Diane

Novella by Karen Chance, I don't usually go in for Novela's but the reviews for this were very goodand I try and read every thing the KC writes. I enjoyed this very much. About Claire who is a Null...meaning she's immune to magic. She nearly gets auctioned off to her cousin Seb who plans on selling her to Harvesters who want to harvest her magic abilities. Enter a Light Fey Lord Heidar.
They embark on an adventure that they did not ask for. From the human realm to the Fey realm, and not
the frien...more
Sandra
Why do authors persist in trying to do a full story the size of a novella. Once again this story was too short. I know it's only an interlude between Dorina Barsarab stories, still it gets you hooked then its all over!

I liked what there was of it and if anything it made me want to re-read the 2 Dory books, it's been awhile.

This story is Claire and Heidar, how they met, how they survived and who Claire's real father is revealed.
Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥
That was a great short story.

I wasn't a fan of the typical "she shouldn't let him touch her but she couldn't resist" parts although I know they might have to do with him being Fey and Claire's second nature.

The rest of the story was fast, funny and interesting. We learn more about the Fey and some scenes were hilarious, especially when Claire tuns into a dragon.
Denise
A short companion novella to Midnight's Daughter, this story is told from Claire's POV and gives some background on her character and how she met Heidar. Entertaining, but not as awesome as the Dory novels IMO.
Theresa
I knew Claire’s story would be good. I smiled reading it and was fascinated by the fats moving action and interweaving of the Fey politics. I knew Claire was part Dark Fey, but how she finds her family and what she becomes is marvelous.

Fave scenes: the truth bird, riding the horse and Claire’s transformation.
Carolin
I would say it is a perfect shortstory, although I think it is a little on the long side. But that is not a problem as far as I am concerned. I get into the story fast, I'm starting empathizing with Claire very soon. She is funny! Interesting to get a view of sides of the world that is not really getting through in Cassie's books.
Drew
Interesting little story. This is my second time reading it but at least this time I've read others from the same world. Still an odd story and little confusing. Not exactly sure how it's going to tie into the series but we shall see
Bridget
I read this story in the anthology, On the Prowl. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on and who the story was about, because it has been so long since I read the first book in the series. It was a good story and actually explained a lot once I remembered what was going on in the series.
Khristine Stain
I liked this short story the best out of the Cassie Palmer/Dorina Basarab world. although, I haven't yet read Midnight's Daughter and have no idea how the short story relates to Dorina which I assume is Mircea's sister (?). Anyway, this short story was a great read.
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
A novella chronicling Claire's adventures from auction house to Faerie and how she met Heidar for the first time and discovers surprising facts about herself.

This would be ideally read before Dorina Basarab book #1 Midnight's daughter.
Shannon C.
For a novella, this is a really good read. It is the companion story to book 1 in the Dorina Basarab series. In book 1, Dory is looking for her missing friend Claire. This novella shows Claire's side of the story.
Lea Bourg'
A nice short-story where we discover how Claire has come to expect a baby from the son of the Light Fey King and move from being a vegetarian redhead null to a dragon fan of raw meat =)
Lindsay
Oct 04, 2012 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance, fantasy
Recommended to Lindsay by: Amazon
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I love this novella because you learn of Clare and Heidar's adventure during Midnight's Daughter. It also explains somethings about Clare and I also enjoyed the story.
Aimee
This is a cute little story following the usual Karen Chance style. Lots of action...some romance...and a a lot of sarcasm and quirky humor. I loved it!
Raynak25
Short story from the Dorina Basaarab series. Great story, but I wouldn't recommend reading it until after you read book 2 in the series.
Linda
Love the shortstory about Claire and Heidar. And now i know how null bombs are made, =) Love Karen Chance´s world with fey and magic.
Alicia
Cute. Karen has such a great imagination. The big twist for Claire was so not what I was expecting. Fun.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Very nice story. Actually Claire is Dorina Basaarab's flatmate? I didn't know it...
EJ MACK
I liked Claire and was hoping to see more of her in the future books...
Tania
"Buying Trouble" by Karen Chance. A novella in the Dorina Basarab series.
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Kate Daniels Complete Set 1-4
  • An Evening for Vayl and Jaz (Jaz Parks #4.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin #2.7)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Trixie (The Asylum Tales, #0.6)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #7.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling)
  • Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Wrecked (Iron Seas, #3.4)
  • Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in...more
More about Karen Chance...
Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)