Start by marking “First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)

First Frost (Mythos Academy 0.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  4,691 ratings  ·  310 reviews
I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift. It's called psychometry - that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people's memories off almost everything I touch, even guys.

My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don
Published July 1st 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about First Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Frost

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
84th out of 526 books — 1,049 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadHex Hall by Rachel HawkinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingFrostbite by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Private School Paranormals
51st out of 112 books — 291 voters

More lists with this book...

Sabrina
So many screwups in so few pages.

ALERT: I'm in a ranting mode, and so I'm going to rant. A lot.

My mom sounded tired, so I decided not to bother her tonight.
“Love you, too,” I said, and hung up.
I didn’t know then that this would be the last time I ever talked to her.

And that is the first major mistake: hindsights. Too many of them (read: more than zero).
Hindsights are not allowed.

And here we go with the second huge mistake:
I’d already swapped my gym clothes for my usual sneakers and jeans. I’d al
Celine
My dear god, I should have known this would end up as a rant. Even though First Frost is barely an hour's read, it left me sputtering and muttering for three times as long. My fingers are sore of making annotations on my Kindle. Behold, my opinion of this little piece of work.

Ms Estep is writing in dangerous territory. Writing about a school for special kids with magical powers is tricky business; it automatically reminds of other successful YA-series that follow this formula. Series like Harry
Sans
I want to warn you that this a very long, very ranty review which I wrote in a very reactive way to what I was reading, complete with me losing my train of thought and grammatical and punctuation errors. If you actually read the whole thing, I’ll be shocked. If you do read the whole review and you get mad at me for my opinions, I won’t be shocked any more. I’ll just shrug and say, “Well, I sure do hope you enjoyed this short story more than I did” and quietly stop paying attention.

What. The. Fuc
Vinaya
Dear Ms. Estep,
You cannot write prologue and call it a short story. No, you really can't.

First Frost is, I'm assuming, the set-up to the first book in Jennifer Estep's YA series, Mythos Academy. I have mixed feelings towards Estep's work, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Not when it comes to this 'story', however. The only good thing about First Frost is that it helps me up my book count, which is desperately lagging.

This is mostly backstory for the first book. There is no
Veronica Morfi
Another amazing prequel. I can't wait to start reading Touch of Frost.

Ok, this is the story of Gwen before she enrolled in Mythos Academy. Gwen is a gypsy, though she doesn't know why, which is kind of weird but anyways...she is a gypsy with a gift to see memories and feelings that are attached to an object or even a person. One day she finds out a terrible secret by touching the hairbrush of another girl and her story begins. After a few weeks she is told that, by fall she will have to leave he
Julia
Inhalt: Sie sind die Nachkommen sagenhafter Kämpfer wie Spartaner, Amazonen oder Walküren und verfügen über magische Kräfte. Auf der Mythos Academy lernen sie, mit ihren Fähigkeiten umzugehen und sie richtig einzusetzen – auch die 17-jährige Gwen Frost, die gegen einen übermächtigen Feind bestehen muss … Wie es nach »Erster Frost« weitergeht, erfährst du im Roman »Frostkuss«, erschienen bei ivi. (Quelle: Verlag)
Wann kann ich es lesen: First Frost ist die Vorgeschichte zu der Mythos Academy-Reihe
HєllyBєlly
Ok, I can see straight away that this short story and I are going to have some problems getting along.

First of all, "I was a gypsy with psychometry magic" does not make any sense to me at all. Gypsy is considered a derogatory term to describe the Romani people. So when Gwen says she does not know why she was even considered a Gyspy in the first place I am as puzzled as she is.

Next we harp on about Gypsy Magic and Psychometry Magic several times lest we should forget that Gwen is a very speshul p
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
First Frost is a short novella that introduces readers and followers of Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series, to her new series called Mythos Academy and her main character Gwen Frost. Touch of Frost is the first book of the series which releases on July 26, 2011.

Gwen is a gypsy, like her mother, and grandmother, who has psychometry abilities. She sees images in her head and gets flashes of other people’s memories and feelings off almost everything she touches. Gwen even uses her “gift” to
AH
2.5 stars.

OK. I get it. Psychometry. Violet Eyes. Yup. Gwen's a gypsy.

This short story suffers from repetitive writing. Usually short stories are released to excite readers and make them want to shell out their hard earned money for the series. I don't think this short story would make me want to read more.

Sara Núñez
Segui a la profesora Metis fuera del gimnasio y volvimos al patio principal. Mis ojos vagaron sobre el paisaje. Vi las misma cosas que cuando habiamos caminado por primera vez por el patio. Arboles. Bancos. Edificios. Estudiantes. Estatuas.
Todo parecia bastante inocente desde una distancia, pero habia mas ahi que lo que se podia observar con los ojos. No tenia que tocar nada o usar mi don Gitano para averiguar que habia algo ahi. Podia sentirlo profundo en mis huesos.
No sabia porque estaba siend
Kristoffer Bernardo
It's a good prologue for a book series especially since the protagonist, Gwen frost, feelings are illustrated very clear. Like when she touch the hairbrush of Paige Forrest she literally scream her head off, 'till she head off to the hospital. Her Psychometry magic that is mentioned as her gift or in simple word her gypsy magic is kind of awesome. Her sense of touch be it an object, person or anything is incredible, to know someone else's secret that nobody did, to replay it in her head like som ...more
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Gwen Frost has a gypsy gift, the gift of psychometry. Basically, she gets flashes of other people’s memories from touching things. Her gift has made her incredibly nosy and when she discovers something entirely unpleasant about her fellow classmate, it forces her into a mental breakdown leading to her changing school. Mythos Academy is for people with gifts, to help them control their gifts and learn fighting techniques to defend
Mara
Jan 19, 2012 Mara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody.
Vinaya said:
Dear Ms. Estep,
You cannot write a prologue and call it a short story. No, you really can't.
That should tell you everything about this "short story". I love Ms. Estep's Elemental Assassin series, so I decided to give her new YA books a chance. Ms. Estep can write. It's just that her world-building here leaves a lot to be desired.

I had several gripes with this story (which read like a prologue for Touch of Frost that was cut out after someone (maybe her editor?) insisted the book sho
Rayne
Short, to the point and peaked a little interest in me. Ok - it is a back story a d prequel so lots of info dumping is needed BUT this will probably be rehashed in the first book too. A lot of this I will probably pick up throughout (if not straight away) in the first book as it is typical YA stuff. Anyway, I've read it now.
rameau
A decent enough introduction to yet another young adult novel series about Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters... excuse me, Mythos Academy. I still like the idea, but nothing in the writing seized me enough for me to want to continue reading. Instead, I'm going to stop here and thank my lucky stars I got this when it was free on Amazon and move on to something else. That way I won't be disappointed when the crush at first sight turns into instant love and and the grumpy librarian wo ...more
Ana
This is a novella, a prequel to the Mythos Academy series.

We meet Gwen Frost, a Gypsy with a gift of psychometry. She is doing what she can to live a normal life, but she is using her gift to earn some extra cash. After all finding lost keys and phones is ridiculously easy for her. But then she touches Paige's brush. And she is suddenly in a middle of a nightmare.

The purpose of the story is to meet Gwen, to realize what is it that led to her going to Mythos. We don't see much of the Academy.

It'
Ronda
I have to say that this short introduction to Mythos Academy has gripped me. Packed with information that saddened and worried me, that has me curious and wanting more, it is a sure read to start off the series I've been wanting to read for ages.

Gwen has 'Gypsey' powers, psychometry, where she can find or see things through the vibrations others leave. This 'gift' comes from her grandmother and her mother but in different forms.

A tragedy occurs and Gwen finds herself enrolled into Mythos Academy
Steph
"You're a wizard, Harry!" I mean, you're a gypsy, Gwen. Gypsies are magical now? Best kept secret, I think. Nevertheless, I am going to give the series another shot and read book 1 b/c of the recs I've received. This was, after all, only 20 pgs or so. But, in that short span there were some major points Estep wanted us to take away: (1) Gwen and the females in her family are violet-eyed magical gypsies {Not sure, are those two synonymous now?}; (2) she's being herded off to Hogwarts Mythos; and ...more
Victoria
A good starter book. I'm intrigued and looking forward to starting the series now. Hopefully, the series is as good as it sounds.
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
I quite liked this prequel. I've had Touch of Frost on my bookshelf for so long but I figured I could start with the prequel and I'm not at all disappointed. Not the best, but very likable. I felt sad for Gwen when (view spoiler). I hadn't seen it coming. Also with this prequel I kind of forgot that this series is about the Mythos Academy. Yeah, I read the description a lot. Anyway, I can't wait to read the actual book now and to know more about Logan Quinn. ;)
Tara Holman
This is the brief novella introduction into the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep. Upon reading the first full length book, Touch of Frost we are introduced to Gwen and her gypsy magic. There are pieces to her past that are clearly identified here in this prequel. I greatly enjoyed the background details to these stories and recommend anyone that reads this series to take a quick look at First Frost.
Nancy Brady
This is the backstory of Gwen Frost, a Gypsy with psychometric powers. Set prior to her enrollment in Mythos Academy, Gwen is first seen as experiencing an intense vision of a friend which sets off a chain of reactions bringing her to her new school.
It does have some Harry Potter overtones. It isn't truly necessary to read the prequel, but it explains more of what happened to Gwen and how she ends up going to Mythos Academy.
Lucy *Qhuay's shellan*
Sep 11, 2014 Lucy *Qhuay's shellan* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series

This was a nice read that I recommend for fans of the series curious to know a bit more of how Gwen was prior to Mythos Academy.

It’s the beginning of the adventure and so forth and of course Gwen was a different person back then. After all, much happened after that.

She seemed a bit lighter, but otherwise she was pretty much the same feisty smartass person we came to love.

Trea
This was a very good read overall, but I wound up knocking a star off because I felt that it was too much like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. It does deviate from that formula slightly, and has a mystery brewing already, but I couldn't ignore the similarities between the two series, much as I wanted to. However, what I enjoyed about Mythos was that it was set in Ashland, a nod to the Gin Blanco series, and at one point in the story, the heroine wears a Karma Girl tee shirt, which is a nod ...more
Puddlyduck
I read this prequel novella in little over half an hour. Although the story doesn't strike me as particularly unique, I'll probably pick up the first book and take a look.
Claire
This book basically exemplified how much Gwen's life sucked and while it made me feel sorry for her, I was also really excited for her to go to Mythos Academy. And Logan. <3
Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)
I have fairly mixed feelings about this prequel short story. I almost always do not like short stories (or at least not very much) because of the lack of depth. This story is no different in that aspect. I really only got a slight read off of Gwen and that was mostly that she was kind of bratty and fairly naive. I felt disconnected to her personal tragedy as well.

That said, it’s only a prequel. I’m still excited about reading the first book Touch of Frost. Logan, who I’ve only encountered briefl
L'existence Et le Silence
ich werde wohl doch nicht um diese Serie drumherum kommen ^^
Pris
Great introduction to the YA Mythos Academy series. Reads like "The Mortal Instruments" and "The Infernal Devices" series, but with Amazonians, Spartans, Valkyries, Bogatyrs, Ninjas, Reapers (whatever those are), and Gypsies, and their own brand of magic and powers. If Cassandra Clarke's world was based on extrabiblical characters, Michael Scott's on mythological characters from all over the world, and Kami Garcia's/Margaret Stohl's on witches and wizards, then Jennifer Estep's world is based on ...more
Prami
Okay read for the first novella.
  • Entangled
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5)
  • Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Foreplay (Succubus Diaries, #0.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • Avion (The Crystal Rose Chronicles, #1)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways (Rhiannon Godfrey, #1)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

HAIN
More about Jennifer Estep...

Mythos Academy (6 books)
  • Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
  • Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
  • Killer Frost (Mythos Academy, #6)
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2) Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)

“Infamy, thy name is Gin Blanco.” 1 likes