Start by marking “Terps” as Want to Read:
Terps

Terps

Deafness is perceived as a culture and not as a disability in the world of "Terps" and interpreters comprise the subculture that can only exist where Deaf and hearing overlap.

That's the backdrop, but the story is about a marriage. An interpreter marries the only hearing member of a famous Deaf family. The interpreter has chosen to build her life around the Deaf world, but
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Terps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terps

Andrea Shettle
Jun 06, 2016 Andrea Shettle rated it liked it
If you are looking for an accurate reflection of the culturally Deaf, ASL-signing community, then yes this is good, go ahead and read it. I am myself a signing Deaf/deaf person. I didn't feel it had much of a plot or a story line, it's just a series of events in the life of the main character (a sign language interpreter). It was okay, just not memorable or that engaging. To me, its main value was the authentic glimpse into the culturally Deaf, ASL-signing community, and particularly sign ...more
Zehra Rizvi
Mar 27, 2012 Zehra Rizvi rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and all the little details about deaf culture were woven in so well I thought. There's really 3 reasons I'm not giving the book 4 stars: I had trouble relating to the main character and even though I'm a woman found myself relating more to her husband; the weird chemistry thing with the brother-in-law whatever it was that kept getting brought up was strange; and finally the book ended abruptly.

Other than that it was pretty good.
Tina
May 11, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was a great real-life drama. I really appreciated that it was clean, too. The author did drop the F-bomb once, and that put me off, that's what kept me from giving it 5 stars. Other than that there was not really any profanity and no blatant sexuality. I felt it was unnecessary for that word to be in there, though. Really good story.
Dean Lappi
Sep 01, 2011 Dean Lappi rated it it was amazing
Terps is a wonderful novel about the Deaf community, a love story of epic proportions, and about a long family history. It is beautifully written. A must read!
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Lynelle
Lynelle rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Gerri
Gerri rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2012
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2011
Gary Hoover
Gary Hoover marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012
Angela Dabruzzi
Angela Dabruzzi marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Brittania
Brittania marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Gypsy Madden
Gypsy Madden marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013