All Fall Down

All Fall Down

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A deadly contagion races through England...

Isabel and her family have nowhere to run from a disease that has killed half of Europe. When the world she knows and loves ends forever, her only weapon is courage.

The Black Death of 1349 was the deadliest plague in human history. All Fall Down is a powerful and inspiring story of survival in the face of real life horror.
Published March 1st 2012 by Marion Lloyd Books

karen

1349. england.
plague.

you know what follows, right?

i myself am suffering from plaguelike symptoms right now, so this is probably going to be a crummy review, and for that i apologize, because this book really deserves a review from someone who is abler-bodied than i am right now.

i have read plenty of books about plenty of plagues, but this one was really special. most of its strength comes from the voice of the narrator; a fourteen-year-old girl whose family are villeins living in rural england...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
People often have entire lists of things they fear, but one of those fears usually stands out, stronger than all the others. For me, that’s fear of germs and infectious diseases. Deciding to read All Fall Down was a way for me to face my worst fear, and although it took me a while to get through it, in the end, I’m very glad I did.

Between 1348 and 1350, the Black Death killed anywhere from one third to half of European population, after wiping out tens of millions of people in Asia. In the smal...more
Laima
LOVED IT!!!

An amazing novel.... a story about the Plague in England - the Black Death
All Fall Down …. By Sally Nicholls

***********************************

This review will include absolutely no spoilers! If you happen to pick up a copy please do not turn to page 273 to read the author’s historical note. This in itself is a spoiler.

The PLAGUE! Yes, the word itself is scary, but what do we really know about it? I have never studied European history, I am not an infectious disease researcher nor do...more
Jo
To me, historical books are like wagon wheels*.

No not like an actual wheel for a wagon… um… no, I mean the biscuit. The delicious, delicious biscuit.
Let me explain. I don’t have wagon wheels very often but when I do I savour them, love them, vow to eat more of them and get marshmallow in my hair. Similarly with historical YA. I don’t read many of them but when I do I savour them, love them, vow to read more of them and get marshmallow in my hair.
Um…

I’ve spent the last few hours searching my hou...more
Teresa
Award winning author Sally Nicholls won me over with her wonderful debut novel, Ways To Live Forever, a poignant contemporary story which was published in 2008. She has since written Seasons of Secrets (2009), contemporary fiction with a taste of magic, and her latest, All Fall Down, is her first foray into historical fiction, set in Yorkshire during the Black Death in the mid 14th century.

At the moment so much Childrens/YA fiction is concerned with post-apocalyptic dystopias but, as Sally Nich...more
Deborah
A very enjoyable read even though the topic of the book was less than pleasant.

Sally had amazing insight to write this novel from the perspective of Isabel given that the book took place during the 1300's and was during the plague. Her thoughts and level of understanding of how the characters would feel in this given situation was most remarkable. I could not imagine going through what the characters endured in this novel. My god a number of cases of the flu these days is a cause for alert and c...more
Jellybelly
Rebecca
Fourteen-year-old Isabel lives in a small village in England that has recently suffered from bad weather and food shortages. When the villagers hear news of a strange new disease, they are concerned by how fast it is spreading through the country. This plague strikes everyone equally, whether they are young or old, weak or strong. Nearly half the population of England dies. Many people believe the end of the world has come. Those that survive are left struggling to rebuild their homes and lives....more
Geoffrey Gudgion
I was recommended to this book by a fellow author, who knew that my work-in-progress includes scenes from the 14th century. It is probably aimed more at the Young Adult or teen market, so I may not be best place to review it, but with that proviso:

All Fall Down is a meticulously researched work; the level of detail about peasant life immediately prior to, and during, the Black Death is exemplary. Sally Nicholls manages to put the reader right into the mind of a teenage girl living through those...more
Anna
A great introductory novel based on the arrival of the Black Death of 1349 to a village near York - probably suitable for 10+ and YA. To be more accurate it is about people experiencing the Black Death rather than passage of the sickness itself or medieval England. The latter merely forms a backdrop for catastrophe on an apocalyptic scale.

Isobel and her family, Ned, Meg, Alice and her father watch as the plague approaches their village, helpless despite the knowledge of impending disater. Nichol...more
Annie
This is the third YA novel by Sally Nicholls that I've read, and must say she grows in strength with every one. She has a wonderfully drawn young heroine in Isabel, facing the spread of the Black Death from her small Yorkshire village, watching the destruction of life as she knows it and holding her family together. This is history brought to life at its very best, the horrors unflinchingly described through Isabel's eyes. Against the background of death and destruction, the story is strong and...more
Victoria
I seem to be obsessed by anything 'Black Death' related. - This is a beautifully written though heartbreaking story of a village dealing with the plague. I read it in one sitting and was constantly filled with a sense of dread - knowing how devestating it was going to get - as well as a sense of relief that I do not have to live in a time of such loss and sorrow. This will certainly leave the reader grateful for the love in their lives. The perfect historical novel for younger readers.
Penny
This is a children's book - possibly 9 + - concerning the Black Death of 1348. It follows one girl, her family and community.

This is an excellent introduction for children to this episode of history and while it certainly doesnt skate over the issues it does approach the subject with care and dignity.

The story also shows the social and moral impact that this devastating event had on England, from harvesting to worship.

I recommend this.
Liberty Gilmore
When I was a kid, I had a real obsession with the Plague. Morbid, I know, but I had this book that was all about diseases – in the fun, quirky illustrations, cartoony sort of way. Despite the cartoons though, it used to scare the hell out of me. Every time I felt even slightly ill I managed to convince myself I was going to die of the plague. And this was before you could Google your symptoms.

There’s just something really scary about the thought of a plague that could kill more than half the pop...more
Alannah Clarke
The Bubonic Plague of the 14th Century, otherwise known as the Black Death. In my eyes, this is the worst natural disaster to ever happen in the history of the world. Imagine that there is something you don't quite understand is wiping out everyone around you, imagine the fear, the break-down of law and order throughout Europe. The Black Death is something that has always fascinated me so I was really glad when I saw this book.

Ok, enough of the historical context and on with the actual review o...more
Tracy
The medieval period is just so depressing to read about isn't it? I give the author four stars for making me interested in one the very few historical periods I tend not to "like" to read about. It started off a little slow, with 14 year old Isabel coming off much like the 11 year old protagonist of Nicholls' first work "Ways to Live Forever." Luckily it picked up and Isobel became her own character - stubborn, loving, and conflicted. She responds pretty realistically to what follows after the B...more
HG
All Fall Down is the story of 14 year old Isabel and her family as face the 1348-9 plague in a small village north of York. I liked this novel from the start as the author’s description of life on a medieval manor was so vivid that I could almost draw a map of where Isabel lived. Sally Nicholls also covers the roles of people in a village, the difference between villeins (serfs) and freemen and the trade origins of surnames (i.e. Baker, Smith etc.). That is, it had many teachable moments in it!...more
Princess Okonkwo
A very interesting read, offers an insightful view of the black plague. The characters are memorable and the plot is heartbreaking (naturally).
Theresa Tomlinson
I've been very impressed by this book. The main character Isabel is a strong young woman, who loves to make and mend things - she's very practical and makes mistakes, but I found her quite compelling. This is in some ways a harrowing story about a group of young people struggling through the time of the bubonic plague - the author doesn't pull her punches - there is a great deal of death - but there's hope as well. The prose is written in the first person and present tense, which gives a powerfu...more
Arietta Bryant
I read this book as part of the Hampshire Book Awards 2013 and It took over two weeks to read it and every time I opened it was an effort, I didn't look forward to reading it and could not get into the characters but I did try to keep an open mind and I wanted to learn to love it... Like reading Dickens or Shakespeare it is not for everyone but often there is joy to be found at the end of the book in simply having completed it. I have to say that I was very joyous when I finished this book it ju...more
Rhian
Isabel and her family are villeins living (and dying) through the pestilence in a small village outside York. We follow her thoughts and feelings as she tries to make sense of God punishing people like monks and priests by sending the plague, and share her sense of bewilderment as she tries to come to terms with what happens in her family.
Although not full of wildly exciting events, this is nevertheless a compelling read.
Uditi
Death. And sadness. But I guess that's what I get for reading a book about the black death if 1349. Excellent character development but I kinda felt that the major deaths could have been more emotional. I didn't really feel it until the very end. Love love loved Isabel and Robin's relationship. Overall a pretty fantastic book but just a little more would have been perfection. 4/5 stars from me.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Erin
Cover Story: Totes Acceptable
BFF Charm: Yay?
Swoonworthy Scale: 4
Talky Talk: Historically Accurate
Bonus Factors: Very Superstitious, The Black Death
Relationship Status: A Trip to the Museum

Read the full book report here.
Mandy (Tea and Toast)
So this book is based on the Black Death of 1349. What got me to read this book was the whole theme of Black Death, which at the same time was our topic in History. I did learn a lot of the time during the plague and its effects which astonished me. Anyway here are my rates on this book;

Book Cover: 6/10
Writing: 4/10
Plot: 6/10
Characters: 6/10

Overall i give this book; 3/5
Mrsshuttleworth
A deadly contagion races through England...

Caroline
An excellent evocation of what it must have even like to live through the Black Death which killed half of the population of Europe. Sally Nicholls brings out the horror of those times, reminding those of us who enjoy dystopian novels that England has already experienced an apocalypse, and survived.
Aina
This book opens your eyes to things you would never have thought of. It brings sadness that we have or haven't encounter yet. I feel sad throughout the story and I think everybody should read this book. I think it's a short story but you'll see a very big picture and understanding.
Stephanie Deguara
A great book for learning about the three types of plague but on the whole the plot seemed slow and uninteresting. There were so many characters that they lacked rich descriptions and I struggled to empathise with them as a result.
Hannah
This is one of my favourite books I have read. It is very sad and very interesting because it is about a real thing that's happened. I would recommend it to people who like reading horror of true books.
Zoe
Fascinating, frightening, and makes you think about the future - could it all happen again? A pacy read, made me want to find out much more about the Black Death.
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Being Billy
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • Naked
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • Black Heart Blue
  • Soldier Dog
  • Losing it
  • Missing Me (Girl, Missing, #3)
  • The Dead of Winter
  • Kill All Enemies
  • The Earth Hums in B Flat
  • The Weight of Water
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • Creepy and Maud
  • Twelve Minutes to Midnight (Twelve Minutes to Midnight, #1)
  • Unhooking the Moon
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
Sally Nicholls is a prize-winning British children's author. She was born and grew up in Stockton-on-Tees. On finishing school, Nicholls chose to travel around the world. Her first novel was Ways to Live Forever.
More about Sally Nicholls...
Ways to Live Forever Season Of Secrets Close Your Pretty Eyes A Lily, A Rose Shadow Girl