El misterio de la casa de piedra (Elige Tu Propia Aventura, #5)

El misterio de la casa de piedra (Choose Your Own Adventure #5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  34 reviews
By making the correct decisions, the reader assists Jane and Michael in determining whether a spooky stone house is really cursed.
Published April 11th 1986 by Editorial Atlántida (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about El misterio de la casa de piedra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El misterio de la casa de piedra

Jason Koivu
Cue the scary music! For this is......The Mystery of Chimney Rock BWAHAHAHAAAAH!!! *cat sound!*

The fifth volume in the Choose Your Own Adventure series gets an extra star from me for some genuinely spooky moments. Yeah sure, it's just a haunted house story about kids snooping where they shouldn't, but if you allow yourself to be drawn into the moment, you'll find that Edward Packard wrote some scenes with a little Hitchcockian aura about them. Nicely atmosphered, indeed!

The drawbacks of The Mys...more
David Enos
By far the best of the series. The scratchy drawing of doughy-faced, beady-eyed Jarvis the groundskeeper is unforgettable.
David Sarkies
This one you explore a haunted house
18 June 2012

I didn't particularly like this book probably because it is a horror story and I could never get into horror stories. Okay, that is not entirely true because there are a number of Stephen King books that I did enjoy however his style of writing horror is somewhat different to what I would call a 'slasher flick'. Yes, I know, I am using movie terminology for a book, but it does help in differentiating the two different styles of horror. The first s...more
Licha
Yes, and I'm not ashamed to say I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books. This one was my particular favorite. I must have read and re-read this book a million times over. I tried all the possible combinations. I got so good at figuring out how to read all of the combos. Even now when I see one of these CYOA books I get excited. They're a guilty little pleasure.
Julie Sondra Decker
So . . . is the creepy house haunted? Cursed? Dangerous? Well, probably all of those things. You and a companion get to make various decisions and see if you can investigate this place and get to a decent ending without coming to an end yourself.

One great way to creep people out is to do something awful to their bodies. I was really put off by that aspect of this book as a child, and was horrified by the idea of, for instance, getting trapped as an animal. The book was written well enough to mak...more
Annie
of all of those cyoa books, this was the standout to me, i think the deaths, or the bad choices, were particularly gruesome or disturbing. awesome.
Cathy
Its was my first choose your own adventure book, and it was the best out of all them that I collected in my opinion.
Lyndsay-ann Stewart
I didn't like this one as much as the previous one. The endings all seemed to either be the same or at least very similar to each other. Throughout the whole book there was talk about the 'curse of chimney rock' but there wasn't much info about what the curse was or really anything about it.

Overall, this book was ok, but I got bored with it faily quickly and at points I even forgot I had started reading it, so i thought it best to just stop rather than continue on trying to find new endings.
Lu Somerhalder
This was my first CYOA book, and I loooooooooved it as a child. Today I decided to re-read the complete series (at least the ones I have), and I spent hours reading and re-reading this book to complete every single adventure with all the different choices that could have been made. It was wonderful:')
Joanna
Some plot lines fizzle out, while others go on far too long. It's not my favorite in the series, but a worthy addition. I love this series so much (hello, childhood) that I can look past its imperfections.
Androo
This book was a good nostalgic break for me. I don't think I've read a Choose Your Own Adventure in years. When I came to one of the endings, though, I remembered it as the story had stuck with me for all these years. Not all 36 endings are unique...quite a lot rely on a certain transformation. But I'd still say there are 4-5 unique endings and it encourages kids to re-read.
Eddie Evers
My 7 year old says, kids will love this because you feel like you are in the story!
Josiah
This is the flat-out scariest of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books that I have read. I can still feel the palpable sense of fear as Pop read it to me, and I wouldn't even want to put my feet on the floor for fear that something was going to grab them! Edward Packard weaves a story of thick suspense that takes crazy, unexpected turns here and there, and there are often choices to be made within the text that can alter the story so very slightly, but which mean the difference between gettin...more
Swankivy
I read this Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid, and since I didn't particularly appreciate horror, I think I ended up putting it down. I think the "body shock" idea is one of the scarier forms of horror to me, and as a kid it was of course sharper, so the fact that choices could lead to me getting trapped as a cursed mouse in a haunted house or something made me nervous about reading. I'm pretty sure that the images were creepy all around, and it just didn't suit my taste, but I think a wri...more
Weathervane
Just could not get into this one. The curse was too vague to make any sense, and the woman and cat weren't particularly scary. Too many endings, too many reused paths, not enough colour or flavour.

Packard's prose was fine for the most part, and I'm still a fan of his; but I believe he does better when there are fewer endings and he has time to develop a real story.

Montgomery's style, on the other hand, strikes me as better suited to many endings. His zaniness and unpredictability translates well...more
Colton
This was the first book I read in this series as a kid and I loved it then. I loved the creepy atmosphere, the haunted house, all of it. There are a huge amount of scenarios to participate in and rooms to visit. The ambiguity of certain characters' actions actually works well. The endings manage to be creepy without being overly gory and that's the magic of this book. The illustrations do a great job of deepening the story and altogether the book just does everything right. A basic but must-have...more
Natalie Martinez
I must have reread this book a million times as a child. It was my favorite of the Choose your own adventures. It stayed on my shelf long after I got rid of the rest of them.

It had everything for a "scary" kids story. Remember at this time there was no Mr. Stine with his Goosebumps line of stories. We recently received got some of these at our local library. I was sad to see that this one was not among them.
Garrett Alley
Found this book on an old bookshelf at my father's house back east. I threw it in my suitcase on a lark.

When I got home I brought it in to the office to keep on my desk as a kind of conversation piece, but I find my eyes drawn to it constantly. I've opened it up and read a couple quick story arcs. All have had bad endings. I don't recall dying in the books I read as a kid!
Brandon Burrup
Oh my gosh I can almost remember what it felt like to read these when I was a fourth grader and thinking they were the scariest books in existence. Seemed like no ending was a happy one.
Marts  (Thinker)
Adventure 5 of the 'Choose your own adventure' series, The Mystery of Chimney Rock... in these books the reader gets to be the central character by choosing what path the tale follows through a variety of endings...
Susan
This choose your own adventure series was one of the series that got me hooked as a kid. I can still remember the fun of choosing which page to go to and having the story turn out different every time.
Steve Tanner
Creepy. Weird. Great. Originally known as "The Mystery of Chimney Rock," later republished as "The Curse of The Haunted Mansion" -- but that had nothing to do with Disney theme parks!
Elizabeth
This book is pretty good. It's short and by answering questions you go to a page and each time you can get a different outcome!
Veronica
I liked this book it was creative fun and hade a uneke ending well that is if you picked the right pages.
Bob
My favorite choose your own adventure book so far. IN this book i have gone 3W-1L
My first and only Choose your own adventure book...was good at the time...
Kristofer Petersen-Overton
Literally my favorite book as a kid. I read this a million times or more.
Sheila Read
I have read so many of these books I can't remember all of them.
Bren Boston
My favorite choose-your-own-adventure book from grade school.
This was my favorite cyoa book. Scary, but fun to read!
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • Shadow on the Sand (Lone Wolf, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled...more
More about Edward Packard...
The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1) Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6) Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8) The Forbidden Castle (Choose Your Own Adventure, #14) Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)