Start by marking “Calendar Girl: In Which A Lady Of Rylstone Reveals All” as Want to Read:
Calendar Girl: In Which A Lady Of Rylstone Reveals All

Calendar Girl: In Which A Lady Of Rylstone Reveals All

2.93 of 5 stars 2.93  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The true, inspirational story behind the film Calendar Girls, starring Julie Walters, Helen Mirren, Penelope Wilton and Annette Crosbie, as the women behind the Alternative W.I. Calendar (better known to most as the Naked Ladies Calendar. village of Cracoe were devastated. During his illness Tricia Stewart had joked with him about creating an Alternative W.I. Calendar - sh ...more
Paperback
Published August 15th 2003 by Not Avail (first published October 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Calendar Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calendar Girl

Rachael Hewison
I have complete respect for the Rylestone women and what they achieved with their calendar. They are an inspiration to all. I was so excited to read this book and hear the story behind what actually happened. However whilst Trish Stewart is a remarkable woman with such brilliant ideas, her talents don’t extend to writing.
At times her book was humorous and it was so interesting to hear how their lives had changed as a result of the calendar. However other than that, I didn’t enjoy the book. It wa
Abi Cadell
I was disappointed in this book, to be honest. Tricia Stewart doesn't have much of a talent for writing - her style reads like a schoolgirl's diary. Of course, this is a memoir of very personal events, so perhaps good writing should not be expected.

However, I also can't help wondering what the reaction to the book was of people such as her husband and those members of the eleven who didn't agree with the author on certain issues. Tricia Stewart doesn't do much of a job of putting the other side
Tifnie
This was a cute story about a group of women who pull together to create a creative nude calendar to raise money for cancer.

The problem with the story is it painfully recounts the whole story of how the calendar came to be and what happened 1-2 years afterwards. The story was interesting up to the end of the 1st year, then it just dragged on to the point of me skipping around.

Noria
This was a very interesting and insightful read about the true events concerning the Calendar Girls. It was interesting to see were the movie differed from real life and where it was true.
I very much liked how honest Tricia Stewart was on all the ups and downs that came with the calendar.
Eileen Clark
I was so excited to read this book but found it extremely difficult to get through. The sentence structure was poorly constructed and hard to follow. I also found some of the British colloquialism impossible to understand. Tricia seems like a fun loving and dynamic lady but she should have had someone write the book for her. I think it might have been easier to read.
Christy
The premise of this book intrigued me and I had remembered hearing about the movie though I have not watched it. While most of the story was very interesting and well written, I felt it dragged at times.

Spanning several years you read about the rise and fall of a group of women trying to bring something good out of a tragedy. One of the ladies husband had died from cancer and the calendar was to raise money for Leukemia research funding. These women were all over the age of 45 and eleven of the
Liz
Having seen the movie, I was intrigued to read the back story behind it. Ms. Stewart did a brilliant job putting together and promoting the calendar, but her writing needs more editing than it got. The narrative rambled, she used too much local slang, and she went into a little too much detail about the infighting among the "calendar girls" and her marital woes. TMI.
Julie
I have been very interested to read other reviews on this one although as ever, always after I have read the book myself. I don't disagree with a lot of the comments but am surprised at the resulting ratings. I found it to be very interesting indeed as an insight into human nature. Whilst the motivations behind the original idea are laudible enough, by the end of the book the author hardly comes across as altruistic and I didn't really have much time for her. As others have indicated she appears ...more
Tracy Morton
Lovely topic, boring book.
Susan
Really inspiring story.
Bethany
If you loved the movie, skip the book. Ms. Stewart's view seems slanted and she carps on and on about her own importance and the shortcomings of the others. As mother used to say, "If you can't say something nice. . ." Ms. Stewart, I don't like you!
Joy
This book was only ok. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't ever become truly involved in it. I had already seen the movie. I know that's terrible, but the book wasn't better. I would recommend the movie.
Sonia
Quite boring to read. But, after all, it's about a true story, so the author has no previous writing skills. I think the movie is better.
Diane Mueller
I was disappointed with this book. I had enjoyed the movie but this is nothing like the movie. Back-biting and it just spiraled downward.
Malea
Gives a whole lot of background to better understand the film. However, lots of British slang throughout the book...
Bonnie
I enjoyed this memoir. Now will have to see the movie--to compare fact from fiction!
Mandy George
Mandy George is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Apr 18, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015