The New York Stories of Edith Wharton

The New York Stories of Edith Wharton

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A New York Review Books Original

Edith Wharton wrote about New York as only a native can. Her Manhattan is a city of well-appointed drawing rooms, hansoms and broughams, all-night cotillions, and resplendent Fifth Avenue flats. Bishops’ nieces mingle with bachelor industrialists; respectable wives turn into excellent mistresses. All are governed by a code of behavior as rig...more
Published August 17th 2011 by NYRB Classics (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about The New York Stories of Edith Wharton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Stories of Edith Wharton

Maria
This will be good for people who love Wharton & are interested in the development of her craft. Some of the stories presented here are rather uneven & disappointing; I love her best when she dwells on searing emotional pain, as in Autres Temps..., which I like best out of this collection. Several of the others here are also fine enough, but more than a few smack too much of an O. Henryish kind of predictability and pat ending. As a collection, it isn't outstanding, but I didn't want to g...more
Reenie
Really, really good. Anthologies of stories are always going to be somewhat patchy - not every story is as much to one's taste as the others, but this set of stories had quite a few that really struck me, and in general, I really like the way that Wharton writes - definitely will be seeking out her novels soon.

That said, her style is definitely not going to be good for everyone - in the introduction, Roxana Robinson describes uses the phrase 'crystalline brilliance', which tells you most of what...more
Duane
I love reading Edith Wharton. I have said before that I consider her one of the great American writers, on a level with Fitzgerald and Hemingway. I like her novels better than her short stories but there are some good ones in this book. She was at her best when writing about New York as she does here with these stories.
Ami Jo
Always love a trip to Wharton or James' New York... short stories are easy for a short read, or longer if you have a morning to kill. Love the twist Wharton always has to her stories. The last line of this collection is a good one.
Patrick
While the quality of these stories varies (sometimes the dialogue seems completely stilted, but perhaps this just a 21st century ear listening to a voice from the 19th), Wharton is generally fantastic at depicting the psychology of her characters, and how little they know of themselves and their companions. She is particularly good at drawing out the roles of money and class and gender in New York society, which can rarely be spoken of but are hanging ever present over the characters, like evil...more
Cherylin
Wharton was a bit of a badass for her time.
Christopher H.
Edith Wharton is near the top of the pinnacle of American fiction for me. While I have read all of her novels, I have come to realize that her greatest strength may well be her short stories. They are simply sublime. They definitely pack a punch! And while I reference the New York Review of Books edition here, I have a couple of other collection of her shorts and they are all nothing short of brilliant. She also published a volume of ghost stories that are truly some of the best spooky stuff out...more
Kate
By choosing stories that are either set in New York, or feature New Yorkers as their main characters, this collection, presented in the order in which the stories were first published, provides a valuable survey of Wharton's talent as a short story writer as it developed over the course of her long career (they were originally published between 1891 and 1934). She is very good at conveying a sense of her characters as helpless captives in a web of social obligations and conventions, whether they...more
Gemma
Edith Wharton is engraved on my list of favourite authors, but I have to take long pauses between her books. I remember trying to read "The House of Mirth" immediately after "The Age of Innocence" and stumbling, but a number of months later I returned to it and I don't think I have had many more affecting reading experiences.

I was given this book in March and before that it had been a number of years since I had read any Wharton. The gift was timely and deeply appreciated.

The New York theme to t...more
Lynn
This was an interesting book to read, as the stories are arranged in the order they were written. I sensed her maturation as a reader, both in terms of her subject matter and the plots of the stories. I loved the stories that engaged with visual art. She also, of course, is always fascinated by class and gender.
The early stories have a kind of O'Henry feel to the them. The later stories are more sophisticated. Some of the stories are quite long. There was actually a kind of ghost story later in...more
Jessica
This book includes the short stories of Edith Wharton that take place in New York City. Many of the short stories are thought provoking, while some end abruptly without much of a climax. However, as in Edith Wharton style, her writing is so beautiful. She uses the English language in such a beautiful and artistic way that it's hard not to read her stories and find fault with the plot. You certainly need a dictionary close to look for words that she uses in her stories.
Suzanne
Oh snap! Miss Jones will teach you a thing or two about class, society, and what it means to be a woman.

And her New York is possibly the most romantic New York of all time.

If you can, try to read each story in the neighborhoods in which it's set. Better yet, throw on a bustle, huff on a little ether, and horse-and-buggy yourself around in character(s)! What a delight.
Secil
I want to kiss Wharton for having written this stuff when she did. And we thought free thinking females were an invention of the 60s... She understands people. She's not afraid to write from a male pov. She's so good at making you enter the world of her characters. A different New York, but in some ways, the same one.
Julie Siegel
I hate this star system; never liked grading students either...EW a master of prose and such a clear, insightful social lens. The good stories are riveting and profound; a few did not compel me at all...but that's how it should be. Supern Intro by the wonderful contemporary novelist, Roxana Robinson.
Clare
As with so many authors, I'm not as fond of Edith Wharton in short form as I am in long. Her trademark melodrama was often a bit overwhelming in such small packages. However, there were a few tightly constructed gems (like The Reckoning and Roman Fever) that I think will stick with me for quite some time.
Andy
The later stories surprised me. I didn't expect so much would hang on the plot. Made for very entertaining reading - lots of irony, mystery and surprise, in addition to the development of character and scene. O Henry and EW have some things in common - though not their literary reputations.
Meredith
I had this vision that I was going to read this in Washington Square Park and imagine being in Olde New York. But it's rained the whole time I was reading it, so a no go there. I love Edith Wharton and I love New York, but if you don't, this will probably be a bit tiring.
Jordan
Really good. A variety of stories, I like that she does not write the same thing again and again. My favorite story had to be Roman Fever. I felt it had a different level, different purpose. I love New York and here is a newyork from the very early 1900's. Enjoy.
Sumi
Wow, Edith Wharton's writing is incisive, rich, and ominous. Of course the writing is old-fashioned, which can sometimes be hard to wrap my brain around, but many of the short stories consist of flawed, nuanced characters and a very delectable, dark, twisted ending.
Lisa
Beautifully written, as all of Wharton's work. The stories rage from middle of the road to astonishing- Roman fever has to be one of the best short stories ever written. I finished it and went back to the beginning to start it again.
Mark
Elegant writing and a brutal contemporary assessment of turn of the Century New York and Parisian society of the belle epoch. Short stories that rival Anton Chekov both in their brevity and in their power to engage and enthrall.
Kaycie Hall
I love Edith Wharton, and I needed more of her in my life after moving to New York, so I read about half of these over the span of a few months. It's time to part for now, but I'm sure I'll return to them.
Shaughnarioux
Tried to read her in college, and didn't like at all...finally tried again at the recommendation of a friend I trust, and now have read all I can get my hands on
Peter
I've read a lot of books over the years. This is the first time I've read a short story collection cover to cover. Edith Wharton is a magnificent writer.
amanda
enjoy! edith wharton was a complicated, conflicted, and superbly intelligent and talented woman. (what else does one say about the inventor of lily bart)?
Melissa
I think I'd rather read this in book form rather than electronic. Short stories invite random flipping. nicely done stories.
Tiffany
I love Edith Wharton - I think she's the epitome of intelligent biting of the hands that feed - and bind ....
Jeff
Jan 07, 2008 Jeff marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Birthday present from C. Natale Peditto (2007). Wharton is one of my favorite writers.
Adele Goetz
Not all of these stories are gems, but all of them are so beautifully written.
Meghan McCarron
FANTASTIC portrait of Wharton's "Old New York." And, oh god, so heartbreaking.
NYRB Classics: The New York Stories of Edith Wharton 2 2 Oct 29, 2013 04:17PM
  • A Meaningful Life
  • The Outward Room
  • Apartment in Athens
  • Indian Summer
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a...more
More about Edith Wharton...
The Age of Innocence The House of Mirth Ethan Frome Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction The Custom of the Country