3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The marriage of George Jones and Tammy Wynette was hailed as a union made in honky-tonk heaven. And when little Tamala Georgette Jones was born in 1970, she was considered country music’s heir apparent.

For the first four years of her life, Georgette had two adoring parents who showed her off at every opportunity, and between her parents, grandparents, older sist...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Atria Books (first published May 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Three of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three of Us

Guy
The book focuses more on Georgette and Tammy, since George just wasn't around for so much of Georgette's teen years. There are some particularly sad revelations of George Richey's (Tammy's last husband) abuse and, as with Tammy's daughter Jackie's book, and the recent bio of Tammy, more than a hint of Richey's culpability in her death.

Though "The Three of Us" was co-written with Patsi Bale Cox, this is very much Georgette's voice. I enjoyed reading about how much both of her parents valued inte...more
Archie
Make no mistake, this book is about Georgette, as an autobiography ought to be. She was young when her parents split up and rarely saw her father for a variety of reasons, so this isn't the place to come for lots of anecdotes about the George and Tammy years.

But Georgette is brutally honest in the book, both about herself, her family and those surrounding them, and it makes this book refreshing and insightful. We get insights into Tammy, at least as it appeared to a child and young woman but, ev...more
Dale Stonehouse
This book suffers in comparison to Jimmy McDonough's bio of Tammy Wynette, but even so it lacks a compelling hook. There is some insight into the marriage of Wynette and George Jones, and some nice observations of her friendship with legends Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn, among others. One thing seems obvious after reading this: everyone close to Tammy Wynette is convinced her 5th husband George Richey murdered her by intravenous medication overdose, overwork, and/or a combination of the two.
Rhonda
I read this book in one day, it is a enjoyable read, down home, nice storytelling manner. Georgette is refreshing in her attitude and there is no mean spirit in her book. George Jones is distant through most of it, but still likeable and Tammy seems to be a classy lady who tragically died before her time. It doesn't go into great detail on Tammy's death and I'd like to learn more.
Patricia
I picked this up at the library on a whim and read it in one night--it was an easy and quick read. While I have not followed the lives of any of these people, it was interesting to hear what Georgette Jones had to say about life with her famous parents.
Patsy Crawford
I loved this book and read it in 24 hours. It was a wonderful look back at the royalty of country music. Who knew there were problems in the kingdom?
Edwina Hall Callan
George Jones passed away yesterday. (4-26-2013)
Today I find this book in the discount bin at Wal-Mart.
It was lying right on top and calling to me ... lol.
Marianne Meyers
I'm not a country music fan, but I'm always interested in family dynamics. I read this in an hour and a half.
Dana
While it was interesting in some parts, others dragged on and got confusing. I liked it, but wouldn't say I loved it.
Sharon
was interesting, seemed to shy away from anything bad to say about George and Tammy...A mediocre read..
Tammyg
Had SUCH a hard time getting through this book. It was jumping all over the place. Couldn't finish it.
Pam
Hmmm, Just another kid trying to cash in on a famous parent.
Elaine
Very interesting look at the private lives of George &Tammy.
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Judy
Judy added it
May 24, 2014
Josh Dingler
Josh Dingler marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Jasmine Hughes
Jasmine Hughes marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Don LaFountaine
Don LaFountaine marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013