Start by marking “Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace” as Want to Read:
Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace

Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  404 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Frankie is struggling. This time it’s not to keep his room clean, or to win the Pine Run 3000. It is something much more serious: MATH! He just doesn’t get it—it seems impossible. So instead of acing his quiz, the numbers become unconquerable monsters. When Frankie finally shares his problem with his family and his best friend, Kenny, they band together to create a math ob ...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace

Brad
There is a life lull at the moment, as there always seems to be at the end of one year and the beginning of the next, wherein I have a hard time engaging with people, and books sing to me of their paper comforts. I let myself be led to a cozy bed (whenever I can) or a comfy chair wrapped in a blankie, and I read, read, read.

This year I find myself catching up on the books my kids read throughout the year, the ones I didn't have time to read right after they had (where's that Magic Tree House bo
Miloš & Brontë
Pa: So when are you going to write one of these reviews on your own?

Miloš: Well ... when I learn how to write.

Pa: You know how to right.

Miloš: I don't know how to write the things I want to say! I know how write most of the stuff how to write. I dunno. I guess you could come in and correct the stuff. I dunno. Next time I finish a book.

Pa: So you're going to write a review of James and the Giant Peach.

Miloš: Yep.

Pa: Excellent fun. I can't wait to read that. Okay, this book. What did you think?

Mil
Xiaoting
Feb 25, 2015 Xiaoting rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is book is very educational and interesting. Frankie Pickle has a big imagination but he's not so good at math. While taking a math quiz, Frankie begins to draw number monsters.He'd rather live in a world without math, but his quiz has other plans. It transports him to Arithmecca,a world filled with horrible number monsters.In this book, his parents and friends use other way to teach him how to use math. Finally, he do the good job on the math quiz.
The front cover is very cool. A little b
Cheriee
Jan 09, 2015 Cheriee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is from my blog at http://dickenslibrary.blogspot.ca/
James at Kidsbooks convinced me to purchase this book, proving once again, that James is rarely wrong.
I am so glad I did. This book is infinitely fun. It integrates graphic novel with text. There is humour, but it is serious and sweet as well.
It's perfect for my readers starting to read real chapter books, and will probably entertain reluctant readers of all ages.
Frankie struggles with mathematics. After drawing all over his math quiz,
Kellee
Frankie is awesome! His imagination is infectious.
This is my first Frankie Pickle book and I believe that it is one of the best early reader chapter books I have ever read! Graphic novels + humor + imagination= fun!
Also, a perfect book to integrate with math, specifically because it talks about practical, real-world applications of math.
Gideon
at. the. end. I. notiecd. he. learnd. all. his. math. after. all.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: next in the series.

I'll be frank. I'm usually not fond of stories about math. They start out with some kid either hating or having a hard time with math and then they are shown how math is used in the real world and just how relevant it is in everyday life. Usually something especially fun the kid enjoys is used to entice him/her and in the end the kid either likes math, is good at math or thinks it *is* fun. Well, Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace is no exception wh
Sarah W
Vampire threes. Dragon fives. Toothy twos. When Frankie tries to take his math quiz, number monsters are everywhere. Skipping problems doesn't help. Drawing wings and fangs on the numbers doesn't either. When Frankie tries to eliminate his number sketches, he loses his last eraser. Frankie has to turn in his quiz without a single answer on it.

Fast forward to the next day. Everyone in class has to go pick up their quiz from Miss Gordon, everyone except Frankie. She instead asks to see him after c
Tiffany Beedle
The story is about Frankie, a student who greatly dislikes math. he has troubles with math, but he also doesn't like to try in math class either. Frankie is given a math quiz during class in which he chooses to draw on instead of actually doing. His teacher decides to give him a second chance to take his quiz, but Frankie is super nervous. Frankie is able to study and pass his quiz, but it was a long process to get there.

The audience for this book is third through fifth grade. A student who dis
Verkizen
Dec 05, 2013 Verkizen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace made me wish I had a little first or second grader who was struggling with math. Wight makes math fun and enjoyable by pointing out all the little ways we use math in day to day life.

I loved Wight's use of both prose with illustrations and cartoon strip formatting which he volleys back and forth between. It seemed brilliant that Wight used the comic strip form to illustrate the adventures Frankie takes in his imagination because often times people do t
Kristy Ann
Frankie finds math to be boring and difficult until his family helps him to see the fun and practical application in everyday life. I am lucky to have two math-minded kids, so Frankie wasn't as relatable in this adventure. The Frankie series has not matched the brilliance of the original, but overall still a fun read for the kids.
Stacey
Jul 03, 2014 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-picks
This is a fun book series whose hero is a typical school-age boy.
Written as part chapter book, part graphic novel, kids in grade 2-4 will enjoy the format.

In this book Frankie's family and friends challenge him with real life math problems to help him gain confidence as he prepare for a math quiz.
Mary Anne
Nov 23, 2015 Mary Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Frankie Pickle struggles through a math test, turning the numbers into the monsters they truely are. When his wonderful teacher asks why he didn't do the test he told her he didn't know how to do the problems. She suggests that he come to her afterschool on Monday to try again. Frankie is supposed to spend the weekend studying for the new test, but he is distracted by his mom, who drags him shopping, his friend who comes to play a card game, his sister who encourages him play with her in the bac ...more
Ryan Sias
Jan 18, 2012 Ryan Sias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Eric once at BEA and then hung out with him down at ALA, and yet had never read a Frankie Pickle book. So I got one and I only wish I had read it sooner. I FREAKING LOVED IT! It's the perfect blend of chapter book and comic. The story's is centered around Frankie's math problems; these sections are in chapter book form. When he starts to daydream and imagine the numbers as monsters, it becomes a comic book. This worked great and made for a easy transition from reality to fantasy.

The story
Nick
Sep 27, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This is a clever story, a chapter book with brief graphic interludes. Basically, any time the story goes inside Frankie's head, the book turns into a comic for a couple of pages. This works very well. The story itself is about Frankie freezing up when it comes to a test, even though his homework shows that he knows the material. Math-phobia and test-phobia are real issues, and this one shows his family and friends understanding the real problem and helping him get past it. A cute book, and one t ...more
Beth
Nov 23, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, 2015
Cute book and my kids absolutely love the whole series.
Ricardo da Fonseca
Comprei esse livro para o meu filho e o li com o intuito de conversarmos sobre a história.
De minha parte, achei o texto, principalmente no meio do livro, um pouco tedioso e sem argumentos para manter a criança interessada.
Da parte de meu filho, notei que ele adorou as ilustrações (que são realmente bem feitas) mas não se interessou muito pela estória.
Acho que ideia do livro é muito boa mas parece não ter sido bem trabalhada pelo autor para manter o interesse das crianças até o final.
Debby Baumgartner
Text and graphic novel format story about Frankie who is having trouble taking math quizzes.
Lincoln
Mar 09, 2015 Lincoln rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spooky
Jagr
Mar 05, 2015 Jagr is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
frankie pickle was a book i read in grade3
Zeynep Öndeş
Jun 19, 2014 Zeynep Öndeş rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IT WAS A GOOD STORY... :)
Destinee Sutton
Frankie Pickle is back and better than ever. After turning the numbers into monsters instead of actually completing his math quiz, Frankie embarks on a weekend of preparation for a make-up test. Numbers come at him everywhere, from the grocery store to a "Yugimon" card game with his friend Kenny. Obviously, the appeal of these stories mostly come from Frankie's imagination-fueled adventures.
Amy Flanagan
Mar 25, 2016 Amy Flanagan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Reading Olympic book for my group. Pretty basic for 7-10 years. Great theme though. Might be good for non readers to get their interest.
Jessica
I simply like Frankie Pickle's character. As I read the book, I can see my own 8 year old in the storyline! Even to the doodling on the math worksheets. :) And the second best thing. After I read it, my son picked it up to read it all in one sitting! Looking forward to the next book in the series, which looks like it will be released in 2030!?!?!? What's up with that date. :)
Elizabeth
Jan 17, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this graphic novel (for the younger set) about Frankie who is finding mathematics challenging. Unknown to him, over a weekend, his parents set up some situations for him in which he is actually learning about the concepts of math, hands-on. Because of this he has a better understanding of mathematical equations. Very well done, this is a book kids can relate to.
Colby Sharp
This series has so much appeal to young readers. I can see it hooking in that low fourth grad reader and getting them excited about reading. The switch between graphic novel and traditional novel will help keep the interest of that reader looking to find their love for reading.
Lorna
Probably my favorite Frankie Pickle yet. Frankie's discouraged by math, but comes around with some help from his imagination and his family and friends. I love the message that math isn't something we use on isolation, but a part of everything we do.

The Styling Librarian
Loved reading this with my kiddo. Probably will want to reread in a few years when he finds math to be intimidating... if that topic comes up. Will be terrific to share again. Still, love the formatting and style. Know students will eat this series up!
Tanja
Dec 29, 2011 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great mix of a traditional chapter book and a graphic novel, a fun adventure around math. If math feels sometimes like a nightmare, you’ll enjoy reading this book. (Thanks to John Schu, who kindly sent me this book as a gift!)
  • The Power of the Parasite (Squish, #3)
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)
Eric Wight is the author and illustrator of FRANKIE PICKLE, a new chapter book series published by Simon & Schuster. Prior to that, he was an animator for almost ten years for such companies as Walt Disney, Warner Bros., and Cartoon Network. Wight's comic book adaptation of the AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY helped garner both the Harvey and Eisner Awards for Best Anthology, as well a ...more
More about Eric Wight...

Frankie Pickle (5 books)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom (Frankie Pickle, #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Land of the Lost Recess (Frankie Pickle, #4)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Invasion of the Polka Dots (Frankie Pickle, #5)