Start by marking “Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery #14)” as Want to Read:
Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery #14)

Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery #14)

When megamillionaire and imitation cowboy Rex Taylor proposes building a country music theater in Scumble River, everyone's ready to do the boot-scootin' boogie except school psychologist Skye Denison. She's been asked by Suzette Neal, Rex's assistant and a rising county star, to investigate her mother's suspicious death twenty-seven years earlier. No sooner does Skye agre ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about Murder of a Creped Suzette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder of a Creped Suzette

Oct 23, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worst of the series, imho. (At least of the ones I've read!) Early on, Skye stays the night with Wally and clearly puts on loafers that she's got stowed at his house to go to work. After work, to climb the stairs to the barn, she takes off her heels to do it. A decent editor should have caught that. The plausibility that people keep wanting to come to a tiny little town and build some sort of large, money-making venue there was hard to swallow once. Now I've seen it at least twice. How many time ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
When Rex Taylor mega millionarie proposes to build a country music thetter in Scumble river everyones ready to do the boot- scootin 'boogie except Skye Denision school Psycholist. Suzette Neal , Rex's assisant and a rising country star asks Skye to investigate her mothers suspious death twenty -seven years earlier. But no sooner does Skye make the decision to help find out what really happened to Suzettes mother than Suzette herself gets literally flattened -and very dead. Suspion seems to be ho ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a nice cozy murder mystery. Our friendly sleuth, Skye Denison is asked by a Country Western singer to find out if her mother was murdered, but before Skye can begin, she learns her client has been brutally murdered.

Skye is still engaged to Wally, the Chief of Police and their romance is still on hold for his annulment. I would like to see this resolved.

The murder was solved and I had figured out the culprit with little effort, which surprised me as usually I'm the last to know.
Oct 27, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The residents of Scumble River, Illinois have their cowboy boots on and are ready to boogie! Nashville music promoter Rex Taylor is putting on a free concert for the town that features country star Flint James and up-and-coming hometown girl Suzette Neal. Rex wants to turn Scumble River into the next Branson, Missouri, but Skye Denison (school psychologist and police consultant) thinks the town would become a tacky tourist trap instead of the new country music capital. The young and pretty Suzet ...more
Nov 08, 2011 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder of a Creped Suzette is the 14th book in the enjoyable series set in the Scumble River series. It's always enjoyable check in with school psychologist and part time amateur sleuth,Skye Dennison.

Rex Taylor has brought country star Flint James to Scumble River to put on a free concert in hopes of getting the communities support to build a country music theater in the area. Just prior to concert Skye over hears a heated argument between Taylor and Flint, over the worthiness of the opening ac
May 13, 2012 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In general, I've enjoyed this series. I've not enjoyed the last few installments as much as I have earlier. As I was reading this one I realized why I wasn't enjoying them as much. Instead of having several predominant characters (a couple of teens that wrote the high school paper, more interaction with the librarian, etc.), allowing several storylines, which I prefer, she has reduced the focus to primarily the protagonist and her fiance. Not only is there less breadth to the book, it has more " ...more
Feb 21, 2012 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder of a Creped Suzette (Scumble River Mystery #14)Diane Swanson

Skye is approached by Country singer Suzette Neal to help her find out the reason her mother died over 20 years ago. Soon Suzette is found dead and Skye is on the case.

A lot of suspects, mystery and secrets. This one was more of a mystery than the rest, and less of Skyes personal life. I was happy that reference to her large size was not brought up in this book, as to the previous books that droned on and on about her "curves".
Jul 13, 2016 Ronda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance, humorous
I am so glad that Skye's mother wasn't so over the top in this one. Frankly, after the last one, I was ready for Skye to move to Florida, with or without Wally. While I liked this story, I will say that I am missing hearing about the other characters. Sure, they were mentioned, but even in the last story, it was more like they were there in name only. I miss the small town interactions and snippets if other characters's stories that the earlier installments had. Still line the series, but this i ...more
Sep 05, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better mysteries in this series.

The ending was a surprise and believable. Even the sub-plot was interesting and there was some character development in the recurring characters.

When the title gives away some of the plot, though, it is disappointing and Skye really needs to invest in some Depends diapers. Every books seems to include an urgent search for a bathroom for her.
Aug 29, 2012 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Skye has just agreed to help Suzette find out what happened to her mother years ago. When she goes to the future home of the country Music theater she finds Suzette's dog in the pooring down rain trying to tell Skye that something is very wrong. Skye finds Suzette under a under piece of equipment very dead. Now she needs to see if the current Murder of Suzette has anything to do with her mother's Murder years ago.

This is a page turner of a book. I really enjoyed reading it. This is the first in
Jan 20, 2015 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cache, z2013
Enjoyed this mystery in the on-going series. Enough suspects and red herrings to keep you guessing. Swanson does a good job of moving forward Skye's personal relationships and blending that with the mystery. I complained about a previous book where the behavior of her ex-boyfriend bordered on stalking. In this one, their relationship is handled much better with the ex regretting Skye's choice but accepting it. Dragging out a love triangle can be an annoying distraction.

The mystery is a good puz
Dec 06, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-illinois
Rex Taylor wants to create a country-music mecca in quiet Scumble River, whether the locals like it or not--and a lot of them do. His assistant, singer Suzette Neal, asks school psychologist Skye Denison to help her find out about the death of Suzette's mother, when she was a young child. When Skye stumbles upon a very contemporary body, she wonders whether it links up with the story Suzette told her. Even with the help of her fiance, police chief Wally, Skye finds it hard to get the information ...more
girl writing
Hmmm...maybe it is time to give up on this series. The mystery wasn't that interesting and some of the storylines are really getting dragged out such as the Simon, Skye, Police Chief triangle and will or won't the annulment be granted. After Skye's mother stole the story in the last installment with her over-the-top behavior, she was hardly in this story at all (come to think of it, none of Skye's immediate family members were).
Nov 07, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy, series
This was a typical Scumble River book. You know that it will be wrapped up at the end (at least the mystery). Skye and Wally have been dragging their relationship out forever, but I think the author might be getting close to wrapping up the series. It looks like she's starting a new one and that usually means the end or close to it for the previous one. It would be nice to see them married before the end of it though.
Murder of a Creped Suzette by Denise Swanson is the 14th Scumble River Mystery. Skye finds the body of country singer Suzette Neale crushed under a steamroller after having being asked to look into the singers mothers death. I love this series and this book was just as good as all the others. Wally and Skye's relationship keeps progressing despite all the hurdles and I love the caring way that Wally treats Skye. I'm looking forward to the next book and catching up with everyone again.
Skye's "client" Suzette is killed before Skye can even accept her case. So, Skye gets to solve the mystery of her death as well as the original mystery she approached Skye about. This one had me guessing! I really liked the addition of Toby. I also enjoyed that more of our profession (which is what first attracted me to this series years ago) was discussed in this book. I am finally starting to warm up to Wally, I think. Can't wait for the next book!
Jul 14, 2015 Tana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters in the Scumble River series. This book begins with a country music producer that puts on a free concert for the community in hopes that the community of Scumble River will invest and the area can become the Branson of Illinois. Of course, there is a murder and Skye helps the police track down who the killer is...
Jan 02, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Denise Swanson's series, and this book does not disappoint. Skye Dennison is back, championing her small town and commitment to said town despite a very public bid to change life in Scumble River as residents know it.
Swanson's trademark style and commitment to character-driven plot are present within this novel and leave the reader hoping for more!
Jun 18, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment in the series involves country singers, a destructive but adorable dog and new developments in Wally's annulment situation. It was fun, funny and fast paced. Looking forward to the next!
Aug 14, 2016 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Scumble River mystery. What I love about these books is, the protagonist, Skye, is a school psychologist. As I do a similar job in Australia, I particularly enjoy the glimpses into her work life.
Mar 30, 2012 Melodie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
For this series, not a bad read. I liked the info on the back of this one so decided to give it a shot even though I hadn't read one in awhile. The series is pretty much a solid 2.5 to 3 stars. Not good, not bad, but good for killing some time.
Lexie Graham
Another outing for school pyschologist Skye Denison in the little town of Scumble River as a promoter comes to town to put on a show and talk about building a Country and Western music venue, only to have a rising singer get flattened. A light, fun series.
Dec 05, 2011 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the rest of the Scumble River books, I thought I knew the formula. While May, Skye's mother, was mentioned, I don't remember her having any direct dialouge. What I am enjoying is the triangle between Skye, Wally, and Simon.
Nov 17, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting into this book, maybe because it was not the first in the series. The mystery was interesting, but there were just too many loose ends and answers that popped out of nowhere to be believable.
Nov 27, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book just as much as I loved the rest. Skye's character is so easy to relate to for me. The mystery was not.the most challenging but still found the story engaging and very enjoyable. I am anticipating the next book in the series for sure.
Nov 30, 2011 Suka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Scumble River series. This one was predictable but still a pleasant read, with a few surprises. At least her mom was not so over-bearing and contacts with Simon were limited. Missed Uncle Charley, though.
Apr 16, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another fun read from Denise Swanson! I'm interested to see if her new characters can compete with her Scumble Riverites!
May 19, 2015 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
3.5 Stars. I like where Skye is at in her relationships at this point in the series. The mystery was good and I liked the resolution with the "Branson of Illinois".
Sep 16, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved it....a little extra mystery besides the main plot..and I liked how characters from the last book were brought into the story.
Diane Davis
Dec 26, 2011 Diane Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual a great mystery... Denise keeps you in suspense with a great deal of humor mixed in... LOved Toby, the little dog...
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Board Stiff (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • Cat in a Yellow Spotlight (Midnight Louie #26)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #5)
  • English Tea Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #17)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Gossamer Ghost (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #12)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • Killer Physique (Savannah Reid Mystery, #19)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3)
Denise Swanson lives in Illinois with her husband, classical composer David Stybr and their cool black cat Boomerang.
More about Denise Swanson...

A Scumble River Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1)
  • Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2)
  • Murder of a Sleeping Beauty (A Scumble River Mystery, #3)
  • Murder of a Snake in the Grass (A Scumble River Mystery, #4)
  • Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5)
  • Murder of a Pink Elephant (A Scumble River Mystery, #6)
  • Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)
  • Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)
  • Murder of a Botoxed Blonde (A Scumble River Mystery, #9)
  • Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry (A Scumble River Mystery, #10)