Start by marking “Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)” as Want to Read:
Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)

Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School #6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"A rotten little sneak!" "A smug prig!" That's how the girls at the Chalet School describe Eustacia, and she's only been there a day!

Somehow they'll have to take her down a peg or two. Nursing a bitter grudge, Eustacia plans her revenge - a revenge that will have dire consequences for the school.
Published March 1969 by Armada (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School

Shawne
It's odd to say so, but re-reading Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's most enduring series really makes very clear that EUSTACIA GOES TO THE CHALET SCHOOL is where a great deal of it really falls into place. The first five books were all about the school finding its feet and identity - from being founded, to growing, developing, and brushing up against a rival school. With EUSTACIA, the school has settled into itself, and the template for many of the remaining books in the series - a girl arrives at the Cha ...more
Sally
Haha!! What a holy terror of a girl Eustacia is! This was a re-read, but it's been so long since my first (and I think only) read that I didn't recognise much of it, if any, really.

Eustacia is awesome to read about. She's just plain awful! An uppity little sneak who looks down on everyone and doesn't care who she is rude to. Older students, prefects, even teachers! Certainly makes for fun reading! I was laughing out loud more than once at her antics.

Interesting to re-read a very early book in th
LH Johnson
The sixth in the series, rich with the gorgeous detail of the Tyrol and the sheer thrill of the early titles, Eustacia Goes To The Chalet School is spectacular. It's sort of a blueprint of everything the Chalet School series could be when it was on form.

Following the now traditional concept of new term, new girls, this term sees Eustacia join the Chalet School. Eustacia is sort of different. She's an 'arrant little prig'. It took me a long time to actually figure out what that means but it's not
Parinita
Vassilissa
It was... challenging. It pushed a lot of my buttons in the bad way. This is not to say that I hated it, just that, well, it was challenging.

I really don't think it's such a dreadful personality flaw to hate (or even simultaneously hate and have a crush on) Joey Bettany. Bill and Charlie are still my favourite characters.

I prefer the prig to the reformed girl. One of the tropes I really really hate in school stories, especially the Chalet School, is when a girl can redeem herself and become acce
Celia Powell
Book 6 of the Chalet School series, and we meet Eustacia, probably the worst student ever (so far, at least). To give you a sample, the first sentence of this book - "There is no disguising the fact that Eustacia Benson was the most arrant little prig that ever existed." (Which is an awesome insult, by the way - I have been waiting for the opportunity to call someone an arrant little prig.)

(Also, I love that the synopsis on the book page makes it sound like Eustacia is plotting to firebomb the C
Sue
Eustacia is the daughter of an eminent professor, and is sent to the Chalet School. She considers herself superior to the other girls, which inevitably leads to some clashes and - eventually - high drama.

This is sixth in the lengthy series, and I'm delighted to have it in hardback now. Much better than the abridged paperback version which I last read six years previously. Good light reading that doesn't use up too much brain power, and yet is surprisingly moving in places.
Boneist
This is the second of the books I bought yesterday, although it's a few books further on. I love these books; they're a different world, being as they're set in the 1920/30's, yet they're still accessible.

I enjoyed this book, though I felt it ended a little sooner than it should have. It's your basic "new, disagreeable girl joins the school, but comes good in the end" story, but still enjoyable.
Donna Boultwood
What a horrid little girl! I wondered what it was going to take to turn things around. As per usual all comes right in the end.

I was really shocked at one sentence though - and I suppose it shows the age the book was written - Mary says "we'll have to work like niggers" - terrible.
Carolynne
One of the best of the Chalet School series. Eustacia is bright, but arrogant and self-centered. Naturally she has to be whipped into shape, and Joey is helpful in achieving that! A character study, but there is lots of Alpine adventure too.
Roseanne Lobo
Roseanne Lobo marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Thimira Anjana
Thimira Anjana marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Maria Spencer
Maria Spencer marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Gayathri Bhushan
Gayathri Bhushan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Taslim Sadiq
Taslim Sadiq marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Aishwarya Dhaigude
Aishwarya Dhaigude marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • No Castanets at the Wells (Sadlers Wells, #3)
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's (St. Clare's, #8)
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • Grinny
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
  • The Lake at the End of the World
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...
The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1) Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2) The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7) The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3) The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)