Start by marking “Summer Term at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #58)” as Want to Read:
Summer Term at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #58)

Summer Term at the Chalet School (The Chalet School #54)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Erica Standish is the daughter of a girl Joey met in India when she was younger. When Erica's mother dies, she is sent via Joey to the Chalet School. Erica attracts danger like a magnet, including a train crash, a land slide and a swarm of bees!
Published July 16th 1992 by Armada (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Term at the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Term at the Chalet School

Deborah
This a five star Chalet, because it's so awful, it's hilarious. When Armada were reprinting the final books in paperback, they left this one out, presumably because they found it embarrassing. That's how bad this book is.

It gets off to a swinging start, with a young girl recognising a passer-by in Oxford Street, London, as her Aunt Joey - a person she has only seen in 20 year old photographs. This unlikely beginning is followed by a lame 'new-girl' story, punctuated by events that prove that, if
LH Johnson
So, I need to tell you about somebody I met twenty years ago. I was eleven, but that's not a problem. I think she'd be the perfect guardian for my child-that-I-have-for-the-purposes-of-making-this-point and so I think I'm going to put it in my will that she'll look after my child-that-I-have-for-the-purposes-of-making-this-point. I think that sounds like an excellent plan.

Oh heavens, what a ridiculous plan, and yet at this point in the series I accept it for what it is and how perfect it is in t
Carolynne
Erika has numerous misadventures including: a train wreck, twisting her ankle during a hike, falling down the stairs, and falling into a pit (didn't we see that plot angle in _Shocks for the Chalet School_?).
And the poor girl just lost her mother. Will Erika survive her first term at the Chalet School? I prefer Chalet School stories that rely more for their conflict on the interaction of differing personalities, on the adjustment of new girls to the old girls and the old girls to the new girl, r
Harriet
As with all the later Chalet School books they begin to feel overly formulaic & have a lack of character development which I enjoyed in the earlier books. Each book focusses on a new girl & misses the joy of knowing a group of friends in the series.
However, I enjoyed the book as I have all the others. Another one tickes off my list.
Sarah Adamson
A bit far reaching in every way but a very enjoyable read and traditional to Chalet school values with all the drama of the last few books!
Sally
The first CS book I ever read (and enjoyed!). :) [See [book:The Princess of the Chalet School|1175329] ;)]
Gayathri Bhushan
Gayathri Bhushan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Taslim Sadiq
Taslim Sadiq marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Lisa (scarlet21)
Lisa (scarlet21) marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Sunita Cherala
Sunita Cherala marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Rebeccadanielle
Rebeccadanielle marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Pip
Pip is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Frances Madden
Frances Madden marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Doon
Doon added it
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...
The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1) Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2) The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7) The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3) The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)