Start by marking “The Chalet School and Barbara (The Chalet School, #34)” as Want to Read:
The Chalet School and Barbara (The Chalet School, #34)

The Chalet School and Barbara (The Chalet School #30)

In this story 14-year-old Barbara Chester arrives at the Chalet School for the first time. The school gives the shy and cossetted child everything she has missed, including friends, new strength and confidence, as well as drama and danger.
Published March 28th 1972 by Armada (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Chalet School and Barbara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chalet School and Barbara

Beth
Feb 12, 2017 Beth rated it really liked it
Whoops, I've fallen down the rabbit hole again.

This isn't really a four-star book. But it's a nostalgic reread, and it's ridiculous in a wonderfully charming way, and I just loved these so much as a teenager who was dying to learn languages and travel and have snazzy uniforms and many talents.

And here's our outsider, never been to school before, who comes in, makes friends, and has a great time. What's not to like?

It's odd to realize, this reread, that this book probably takes place in the late
Deborah
Jan 08, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Huge affection for this Chalet, the first I ever read. They're all abroad! There are mountains and blizzards and magazines in French! And it was quite clear, on my first reading, that there were more stories about all these interesting people and places - I just needed to find them.

Of course, I had no idea what I had just got into. It was 25 years before I was able to read the whole lot in the correct order and even now I don't have a full hardback/GGBP collection.

Reading Barbara now, in its pr
Kerry
Feb 02, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this for my meeting with the local Chalet group and I admit I didn't actually get it finished until the day after the meeting. That's okay, I'd read it before and I could still follow the discussion. The general consensus, with which I agree, is that it's very much a comfort book, with lots of set up for the new location and just very pleasant to have read again.
Jeanette Greaves
Jan 31, 2017 Jeanette Greaves rated it liked it
I only ever read one Chalet School book, but I'm sure if I'd been given the opportunity I would have raced through the whole series with absolute relish. I must have read this one about a dozen times before I hit my teens.
Celia
May 28, 2016 Celia rated it really liked it
In 2008 I started a big read / re-read of the entire Chalet School series (well, the ones I could get my hands on). I got tired of it part way through, and the last one I read was The Wrong Chalet School (book 24 in a 58 book series - well, depending on how you're numbering them). I've realised these are the perfect easy comfort-food books for reading in the middle of the night while feeding a baby, so I picked up the series with this, book number 30 (using the Wikipedia series numbering).

This i
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara, who used to be an invalid, goes to the Chalet School in Switzerland when she is 14. Not much plot, but a bit more human interest than many of the later books in the series.

Re-read after fourteen years, in hardcover form; it's cliched of course and caricatured, but I so like the people, who feel almost like old friends. I was a little disappointed that there's so little of Joey Maynard (who is quarantined for most of the book) - although this volume does come immediately after 'Joey goes
Apr 04, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Barbara Chester is finally able to go to the Chalet School! She's always wanted to go, especially since all her sisters have gone, but due to health reasons, was kept at home for a long time. Now, however, she's on the way there!

As she's not been to school before, there are lots of things that are strange to her. However, with the help of her cousin, Vi Lucy, and the rest of the Gang headed by Mary-Lou, she finds her feet in school at last.
Mhairi Gowans
Dec 15, 2014 Mhairi Gowans rated it really liked it
It feels so good to be back in Europe, even if it isn't the Tyrol. All the proper chalet stuff is there - the language days, European food, tourist trips, and dangerous escapades in the Alps!

I wish there had been a little more in the way of challenges perhaps for Barbara but all in all, quite an enjoyable chalet book.
Avril
Definitely not one of EBD's best, and only of interest to fans of the entire series. Little action, and only a small amount of character development. But this is the book in which the Chalet School moves to Switzerland and if, like me, you love the place this book is worth it just for the descriptions of Interlaken, Unterseen, Lake Thun and Berne. It made me Swiss-homesick!
^
Love the description, which is both educational and fun of the excitement to be had from a fresh snowfall.
Donna Boultwood
Jul 14, 2015 Donna Boultwood rated it really liked it
A new girl who's not a trouble maker is a rare thing! Barbara fits in well as the school moves back to the Alps.
Sally
Barbara, as in Nancy and Beth's little sister and Vi Lucy's cousin. Which means she is straight away "adopted" by Vi and Mary-Lou and thus jealousy ensues!
Sarah Adamson
Mar 05, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was one of my favourites when I was a kid and now I still love it. It tells of the introduction of Barbara Chester to the Chalet school and all her adventures - making friends and enemies.
Boneist
Jun 27, 2011 Boneist rated it it was amazing
What a wizard book! (Quite why "wizard" is allowed, but "smashing" isn't is beyond me!). Really enjoyed it.
Bekki Phillips
Bekki Phillips rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Tirzah
Tirzah rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Sarah Meagher
Sarah Meagher rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Emma Wood
Emma Wood rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Jaz (Cloud Child )
Jaz (Cloud Child ) rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Sumandeshpande
Sumandeshpande rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Katherine Bruce
Katherine Bruce rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2011
Katie Bleathman
Katie Bleathman rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2009
Ninette
Ninette rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Dorian
Dorian rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Heather Ong
Heather Ong rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Sandra Munro
Sandra Munro rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2009
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • Good-Bye, Gemma (Gemma, #4)
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • Down The Bright Stream
  • Children of Morrow
  • Kristy and the Missing Fortune (Baby-Sitters Club Mystery, #19)
  • Jessica's Secret Diary: Volume II (Sweet Valley High Magna Editions #8)
  • Who, Sir? Me, Sir? (Oxford Bookworms, Green)
  • International Velvet
  • Biggles Flies North
  • Cherry Ames, Island Nurse (Cherry Ames, #21)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)