The Chalet School and Barbara (The Chalet School, #34)

The Chalet School and Barbara (The Chalet School #30)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In this story 14-year-old Barbara Chester arrives at the Chalet School for the first time. The school gives the shy and cossetted child everything she has missed, including friends, new strength and confidence, as well as drama and danger.
Published March 28th 1972 by Armada (first published 1954)

Deborah
Huge affection for this Chalet, the first I ever read. They're all abroad! There are mountains and blizzards and magazines in French! And it was quite clear, on my first reading, that there were more stories about all these interesting people and places - I just needed to find them.

Of course, I had no idea what I had just got into. It was 25 years before I was able to read the whole lot in the correct order and even now I don't have a full hardback/GGBP collection.

Reading Barbara now, in its pr...more
Barbara Chester is finally able to go to the Chalet School! She's always wanted to go, especially since all her sisters have gone, but due to health reasons, was kept at home for a long time. Now, however, she's on the way there!

As she's not been to school before, there are lots of things that are strange to her. However, with the help of her cousin, Vi Lucy, and the rest of the Gang headed by Mary-Lou, she finds her feet in school at last.
Avril
Definitely not one of EBD's best, and only of interest to fans of the entire series. Little action, and only a small amount of character development. But this is the book in which the Chalet School moves to Switzerland and if, like me, you love the place this book is worth it just for the descriptions of Interlaken, Unterseen, Lake Thun and Berne. It made me Swiss-homesick!
Sarah Adamson
This was one of my favourites when I was a kid and now I still love it. It tells of the introduction of Barbara Chester to the Chalet school and all her adventures - making friends and enemies.
Sue
Barbara, who used to be an invalid, goes to the Chalet School in Switzerland when she is 14. Not much plot, but a bit more human interest than many of the later books in the series.
Sally
Barbara, as in Nancy and Beth's little sister and Vi Lucy's cousin. Which means she is straight away "adopted" by Vi and Mary-Lou and thus jealousy ensues!
Boneist
What a wizard book! (Quite why "wizard" is allowed, but "smashing" isn't is beyond me!). Really enjoyed it.
^
Love the description, which is both educational and fun of the excitement to be had from a fresh snowfall.
Rebeccadanielle
Rebeccadanielle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Leilani Serfontein
Leilani Serfontein marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Frances Madden
Frances Madden marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Mini Varghese
Mini Varghese marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Anu
Anu marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Doon
Doon added it
Jan 11, 2014
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...
The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1) The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7) Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2) The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3) The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)