Start by marking “A Genius at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #38)” as Want to Read:
A Genius at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #38)

A Genius at the Chalet School (The Chalet School - Armada #38)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Originally published in hardcover in 1956, The Genius at the Chalet School was split into two volumes in paperback. This first part retained the title of the original, and the second was named Chalet School Fete.
Published December 11th 1987 by Armada (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about A Genius at the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Genius at the Chalet School

Deborah
Jan 12, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never really understood why Armada split this - it's one of the slimmest books in the collection, and it's not as if it's so action-packed that readers need a break before they tackle the last couple of weeks of the term. Nina is a well-drawn character (although I don't believe for a moment that Joey's few words about how Hilda was feeling would have been enough to resolve the situation) and while there's rather too much 'hilarious' pantomime for my liking, on the plus side Joey is mostly k ...more
Sue
Jun 29, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘A Genius at the Chalet School’, for some reason, was divided into two volumes when the series was re-published by Armada paperbacks in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The first volume is still called by its original title; the second part has become ‘Chalet School Fete’.

The story in this first part is about Nina Rutherford, who has been brought up by her widowed father, and who, at the age of 15, has become a highly talented pianist... and ends up at the Chalet School in Switzerland.

There’s a
LH Johnson
It strikes me as curious that I've never actually reviewed this until now. Nina Rutherford is very much a fascination of mine and so this is a book that is very much overdue a review.

Brent-Dyer once wrote a book populated solely by gifted and talented characters (The School by the River). And she did this with great success. The School By The River is a school story with a Ruritanian twist and possesses some of the most attractive characters ever to feature in the school story genre (I'm looking
Mhairi Gowans
Jul 12, 2014 Mhairi Gowans rated it liked it
A good start to a story,but I can't comment due to reading the Armada version which has been split. As a result, I must wait until purchasing the 'Chalet School Fete' before really commenting.
Jessica
May 11, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fiction
One of my favourites; I've always found the character interactions in Brent-Dyer's books to be surprisingly believable, especially for children's books of the time. And additionally, who can help but love Joey?

Highly recommended - it's such a shame that the books of the series are either out of print or only available new at a price well over the odds for children's books! There are still a good number of second-hand copies floating about cheaply, though, and it's well worth trying to get hold o
Apr 04, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Nina Rutherford has been travelling around with her father around the world since the death of her mother. However, her father recently drowned, and she is left alone.

Her cousin has been appointed as her guardian wants to send her to boarding school, but it's a tricky situation as Nina is a very talented pianist and requires a school that can handle her. She is eventually sent to the Chalet School, but finds it difficult to fit in at first as she has never been around other girls before.
Donna Boultwood
Sep 21, 2015 Donna Boultwood rated it liked it
I can see others have reviewed in similar vain, saying that this book and Chalet School Fete should be one book. Usual story of a girl losing her parents and being sent off to the school by the guardian. Not my favourite but always an insight into another time.
Carolynne
Apr 07, 2010 Carolynne rated it liked it
Nina, a piano prodigy (I would not call her a genius), finds a way to fit into Chalet School life and still manage to practice her piano. This version is only about half of the original. I found Nina a bit too bland to be one of Brent-Dyer's memorable characters.
Boneist
Sep 13, 2011 Boneist rated it really liked it
This was a very quick read, and could have done with not being split into two books! I also wonder if it was edited at the beginning, as reference is made to her father's death in the blurb that isn't in the book!

Enjoyed it, though.
Sally
I was slightly biased against this because the cover is just so damn ugly! Okay, and I didn't really love Nina all that much either, but they could have at least made her a little prettier...
Sarah Adamson
Jun 18, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Just love this book. Nina is so obviously a genius with musical priorities and yet she's so relatable. A really fun and exciting story.
Tria
Jul 20, 2012 Tria rated it liked it
Abridged version loses a great deal.
Lise
Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Deepa Chandrasekhar
Deepa Chandrasekhar marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
SJ
SJ rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Dianne
Dianne added it
Jan 16, 2016
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Isaac Kelton
Isaac Kelton marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Blue_bell
Blue_bell rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Aastha
Aastha added it
Nov 16, 2015
Carol Beardsall
Carol Beardsall marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • Return To The Wells (Sadler's Wells, #7)
  • Cherry Ames, Island Nurse (Cherry Ames, #21)
  • Grinny
  • International Velvet
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • Revolt Of The Dwarves (Endless Quest #5)
  • The Lake at the End of the World
  • The Weathermonger (The Changes Trilogy, #3)
  • The Princess in the Pigpen
  • Down The Bright Stream
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • The Moon of Gomrath (Tales of Alderley, #2)
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School - Armada (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)