A Genius at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #38)

A Genius at the Chalet School (The Chalet School - Armada #38)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Originally published in hardcover in 1956, The Genius at the Chalet School was split into two volumes in paperback. This first part retained the title of the original, and the second was named Chalet School Fete.
Published December 11th 1987 by Armada (first published 1956)

Deborah
I've never really understood why Armada split this - it's one of the slimmest books in the collection, and it's not as if it's so action-packed that readers need a break before they tackle the last couple of weeks of the term. Nina is a well-drawn character (although I don't believe for a moment that Joey's few words about how Hilda was feeling would have been enough to resolve the situation) and while there's rather too much 'hilarious' pantomime for my liking, on the plus side Joey is mostly k...more
Daisyjess
One of my favourites; I've always found the character interactions in Brent-Dyer's books to be surprisingly believable, especially for children's books of the time. And additionally, who can help but love Joey?

Highly recommended - it's such a shame that the books of the series are either out of print or only available new at a price well over the odds for children's books! There are still a good number of second-hand copies floating about cheaply, though, and it's well worth trying to get hold o...more
LH Johnson
It strikes me as curious that I've never actually reviewed this until now. Nina Rutherford is very much a fascination of mine and so this is a book that is very much overdue a review.

Brent-Dyer once wrote a book populated solely by gifted and talented characters (The School by the River). And she did this with great success. The School By The River is a school story with a Ruritanian twist and possesses some of the most attractive characters ever to feature in the school story genre (I'm looking...more
Mhairi Gowans
A good start to a story,but I can't comment due to reading the Armada version which has been split. As a result, I must wait until purchasing the 'Chalet School Fete' before really commenting.
Nina Rutherford has been travelling around with her father around the world since the death of her mother. However, her father recently drowned, and she is left alone.

Her cousin has been appointed as her guardian wants to send her to boarding school, but it's a tricky situation as Nina is a very talented pianist and requires a school that can handle her. She is eventually sent to the Chalet School, but finds it difficult to fit in at first as she has never been around other girls before.
Carolynne
Nina, a piano prodigy (I would not call her a genius), finds a way to fit into Chalet School life and still manage to practice her piano. This version is only about half of the original. I found Nina a bit too bland to be one of Brent-Dyer's memorable characters.
Boneist
This was a very quick read, and could have done with not being split into two books! I also wonder if it was edited at the beginning, as reference is made to her father's death in the blurb that isn't in the book!

Enjoyed it, though.
Sally
I was slightly biased against this because the cover is just so damn ugly! Okay, and I didn't really love Nina all that much either, but they could have at least made her a little prettier...
Sarah Adamson
Just love this book. Nina is so obviously a genius with musical priorities and yet she's so relatable. A really fun and exciting story.
Pinikir
I am now convinced I am no genius and I should never wish I was
Tria
Abridged version loses a great deal.
Frances Madden
Frances Madden marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
May 19, 2014
Anu
Anu marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Doon
Doon added it
Jan 11, 2014
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...
The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1) The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7) Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2) The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3) The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)