Start by marking “Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)” as Want to Read:
Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)

Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School #5)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When another school opens on the other side of the lake, it seems there will be a rival for the Chalet School. But will the girls of St Scholastica's be friends or foes? There are misunderstandings and practical jokes between the girls and soon the two schools are at daggers drawn.
Published July 1st 1998 by HarperCollins UK (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Rivals of the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rivals of the Chalet School

Sally
Re-read on 27/10/2011. This book is simply marvellous!! I'd quite forgotten how hilarious it really was - one of my favourites, perhaps. I don't know, I'd have to read ALL of them over again to determine which are actual favourites and which I just remember the most fondly... I didn't think this one would be so up there because the girls were not really my favourites - my 'era' is that of Bride Bettany and I never loved Joey as much as you're meant to, and the Robin just annoys me. But this book ...more
Shawne
Aug 02, 2014 Shawne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter terms at the Chalet School are always filled with incidents. There's just something about snow, frost and ice that lend themselves particularly well to disaster, and we all know how much Elinor M. Brent-Dyer loves to land her characters in disaster - from which, of course, they will always recover, little the worse for wear. She takes the threat of winter to its most ridiculously and enjoyably extreme in Rivals Of The Chalet School: a book which not only sees the girls deal with snow bliz ...more
Donna Boultwood
Jan 20, 2014 Donna Boultwood rated it it was amazing
Another lovely book. Some funny stories with the rival school. Sad there's less of Joey and Madge in the stories now though. I couldn't stop laughing about the corn flour in the hair!! Hilarious.
Jane Irish Nelson
Apr 20, 2015 Jane Irish Nelson rated it really liked it
Although I've read this many times through the years, this is the first time I've read the original unabridged version.

The pupils at the Chalet School ought to be thrilled to hear that another school is opening on the shores of the Tiernsee, finally they will have opponents to play hockey, cricket, tennis, and more against. But instead they resent the newcomers. And the bad blood between the two schools quickly escalates. Will it end before a terrible tragedy occurs?
Sue
Sep 24, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Yet another Chalet School book that I now own in hardback. Fifth in the lengthy series, which I first read in my teens. It's more than ten years since I last read this - perhaps nearer twenty - and I'd pretty much forgotten it.

I knew the overall plot was about a rival girls' school that opens at the other end of the lake, and the rivalry that develops between the two schools. However the many sub-plots seemed new to me, and as ever the characterisation is very good. There was one chapter where I
Celia Powell
Mar 08, 2008 Celia Powell rated it really liked it
Shelves: chalet-school
Um, I actually teared up while reading this today. Yes, I am pre-menstrual. And also pathetic.

***

A new school of English girls, St Scholastika's, is opened on the other side of the lake, and the girls from both schools enter into a rivalry. An ice skating incident results in Joey almost dying, and everyone staggers around weeping for a few chapters (hence my prickling eyes mentioned above).

We get to see a little bit of Madge's parenting skills, in which she gently exerts the discipline she uses
Readsandeats
Apr 23, 2015 Readsandeats rated it really liked it
It was good to read this as an Unabridged version and I really liked it. I realised that the edition I have missed out a lot.

The plot centres around the fact that another school has moved into the area and that the new schools pupils think that they are better than the Chalet School. Interesting how things work out and the changes that happen to a number of the pupils in both schools.
Carolynne
Apr 04, 2016 Carolynne rated it really liked it
One of the more entertaining Chalet School books, featuring Joey and her pals Frieda and Marie. A new English school is established, right there on the Tiernsee! What nerve! Naturally there are hijinks and rivalry that lead to a near-disaster (as always). The most interesting aspect is the way the girls of St. Scholastika are developed, especially open-minded Gipsy and the evil Elaine. Turns out, Elaine just needed to join Girl Guides for everything to come out all right in the end!

2016 Re-read:
^
Very much a story of growing-up; the transition between school-girlish pranks and the beginnings of responsible adulthood.

Just reading a few Chalet School books is more than enough to form an opinion that EMBD was obsessed with storylines of infectious diseases. In this book it's chicken pox. But there again, in EMBD was writing in an age where microbiology as a science was in its infancy, and antibiotics unknown. Something that's too easy for us to take for granted today.
Sarah Adamson
Jun 09, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was one of my favourite books as a child and I enjoyed it again as an adult. It is so easy to feel the emotions of both sides - Elinor does such a great job at making sure you know who is in the right and who is in the wrong whilst not hating anyone too much so it can all (mostly) turn out all right in the end.
Deborah
Jun 15, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Chalets, and one that gets a lot of references in subsequent books. There's not much of a plot (a rival school opens nearby and the two schools don't get on) but it's packed with incident, and EBD's characters are at their brightest and best.

Rosemary Carroll
I have read this so many times I really love this book
Mirvatbelani
Mirvatbelani rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Kate Pilmoor
Kate Pilmoor rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
uma janamanchi
uma janamanchi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Ruxi
Ruxi added it
May 23, 2016
Johanna
Johanna rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Emma Kellogg
Emma Kellogg marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Heather Ong
Heather Ong rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Lise
Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Awesome Momi
Awesome Momi rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Ray McCarthy
Ray McCarthy rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
  • Half A World Away
  • International Velvet
  • Cherry Ames, Rural Nurse (Cherry Ames, #22)
  • Amazing Airplanes
  • The Lake at the End of the World
  • Noni The Pony
  • Spot Can Count (Color): First Edition
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • Who Am I? The Diary Of Mary Talence, Sydney 1937
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)
  • The New House at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #12)