Start by marking “The Chalet School in Exile (The Chalet School, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Chalet School in Exile (The Chalet School, #16)

The Chalet School in Exile (The Chalet School #14)

When Madge Bettany decides to start a school in the Austrian Alps, little does she realize how such a small idea will so completely change her life.

Now, in this classic series of books, first published in the 1920s, join the Chalet School's first pupil, Joey Bettany, as she forges strong bonds of friendship with girls from Europe and America. Independent, intelligent, res
Paperback
Published 2010 by GGBP (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Chalet School in Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chalet School in Exile

Shawne
Jan 28, 2015 Shawne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that grows deeper and more impressive with age - and, by age, I mean the age of the reader. That's not often the case in boarding-school fiction or in literature aimed at a younger readership. But The Chalet School In Exile is that rare exception: a brilliant, bold blend of history and fiction that's really quite exceptional for its time.

In a way, Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's plot for this entire book was a necessary one: her fictional boarding school was located in the magnificent idy
LH Johnson
I'm surprised to realise that I've not formally reviewed The Chalet School in Exile. I've mentioned it repeatedly across my blog, and made no bones of my admiration for it. So now, it's time to redress the balance and let you know why - and how - this book is outstanding.

Published in 1940, it became part of the narrative of the Second World War. Authors working in this time had roughly two choices (she says, generalising massively). They could either acknowledge the war - address it - or ignore
Sally
Setting a boarding school in Austria was such a great idea... until World War II came along! And obviously, not even a fictional school could stay put. Loved this one, one of my favourites of the series. Very much "of the times" and all the more better for it; I'm glad E.M. Brent-Dyer didn't just pretend away the War and keep her girls in a cosy little AU.
Mike
I can actually smell this book still, My sister bought it from a Jumble Sale for 5 whole pence, and she struggled to read it, every night out came this musty old book and every night I would hear the really slow adventure not get going until, one fateful night the book vanished!!

-.- heehee
Kirsty Darbyshire

This was one of my favourite books as a child; it combines two of what I thought as a child were the best settings for girl's stories: boarding schools and the second world war. The fact that the second world war is a really good setting is probably just due to growing up with children's literature in the 1970s and 1980s when it was a fairly major sub genre probably because many of the people writing children's books at the time had been children themselves in the war. This book is different to

Kate Forsyth
Jul 06, 2014 Kate Forsyth rated it really liked it
Elinor Brent-Dyer was an extraordinarily prolific author who wrote more than 100 books in total, many of them in the famous Chalet School series about a 1930s girls’ school set in the Austrian Tyrol. I’ve been collecting them for years and had been searching for this one in particular – the rare The Chalet School in Exile, set during the Nazis’ Anschluss of Austria. The girls of the school fall foul of the Gestapo after trying to save an old Jewish man from being beaten to death, and have to ...more
Katherine
Jun 05, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it
Another wonderful Chalet School book, this really intrigued me, especially as I have recently been studying that period of time in History (in which the book was set.)
For me, I was really quite saddened when the School leaves the Tiernsee for Guernsey. I found it to be a pivotal moment in the book, and although Guernsey was probably a nice place, it could never take the place of Tyrol.
Robin surprised me a lot in this book. I was still expecting her to be the clingy, angelic little girl that EB
Donna Boultwood
Oct 23, 2014 Donna Boultwood rated it it was amazing
Carolynne
Feb 21, 2014 Carolynne rated it really liked it
A seemingly innocent agreement to avoid conflict casts the Chalet School girls into danger, and they find it necessary to flee their beloved Tyrolean Alps and the beautiful Tiernsee for a new location for the school. Madge settles on Guernsey, where she can borrow an estate for the duration of the war. (Oops!) As they struggle to safety, on foot ("Sound of Music" style--the musical, not real life), handsome young medic Dr. Jack Maynard confesses his love for our young Joey, and they get engaged.
Deborah
Jan 31, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best in the series for plot, action, character development, and adventure.
Easily the worst for editing! Did Chambers actually *have* an editor for this book? It's not just the inconsistencies with previous books in the series - I can forgive those, it was a different world then - it's the inconsistencies within the book itself, even *within chapters*, that spoil what would otherwise undoubtedly be the best Chalet of them all.
Sue
An important book in the lengthy Chalet School series, and one of my favourites. Naziism arrives in Austria, forcing the school to re-locate. High drama surrounds the escape of a small group after a nasty incident, told with realism. Joey, still a schoolgirl at heart at the start of the book, finally grows up and surprises her family and friends. There are warm friendships, believable characters, and an extremely moving ending.
Tria
Nov 11, 2012 Tria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: needs-librarian
One of the best books of the series. Far better read in its unabridged state (Chambers hardback or Girls Gone By paperback) as the Armada-abridged edition cuts a whole chapter and much more, and makes a lot of references that remain nonsensical. I'll leave a proper review for the book in the near future. Just a note for war historians: it's best read as a slight "alternate universe" with regard to the Guernsey plot.
^
High drama, extremely well told too. WW2 forces the school out of Austria. What must it have felt like to read this book when it was first published in 1940, when London was being bombed night after night with high explosive & the eventual victory of the Allies still lying in the distant future? Elinor M. Brent Dyer succeeds in producing realistic and lively action sensitively balanced with moments that I think any wartime child would have found greatly reassuring.
Feb 16, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites in this series! There's quite a lot of history in this book, as it's set around the time of Hitler. Joey and a few of the others have to escape from their home, and make their way to safety to another country, as they're under suspicion of espionage. Joey gets engaged, and readers will be surprised as to what happens to her at the end!
Nicola
Aug 13, 2016 Nicola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, an unabridged version! The cut down version of this instalment was fine enough but the original really is a wonderful addition to the series as well as being more fully a transitional piece, I think.
Laurel
Dec 09, 2014 Laurel marked it as to-read
Another book I want to read because it was recommended by Val McDermid as one of her childhood favorites.
Liam Moiser
Liam Moiser rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Anne Clough
Anne Clough rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Jacqui Liddell
Jacqui Liddell rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Meryl
Meryl rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Buttercup
Buttercup rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
Tobi Grantham
Tobi Grantham rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Roisin
Roisin rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
Michele Yardumian
Michele Yardumian rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2009
Sonali
Sonali rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2010
Jay Vaux
Jay Vaux rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • Summer Half
  • Return To The Wells (Sadler's Wells, #7)
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Emma in Winter
  • Biggles of the Camel Squadron
  • Kentucky Thriller (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #3)
  • The Avenging Saint
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
  • The White Rabbit: The Secret Agent the Gestapo Could Not Crack
  • Landfall
  • The Sledge Patrol: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival, and Victory
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Rivers of London: Body Work, #4
  • Other Paths to Glory
  • The O'Sullivan Twins (St. Clare's, #2)
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)