Start by marking “Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)

Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  599 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Chalet School now boasts over 30 pupils. The autumn term sees adventures of all kinds - a flood that threatens the school and the dramatic rescue of an unwanted St Bernard puppy. Finally Joey, Robin and Madge spend a delightful Christmas at Innsbruck.
Published 1984 by Armada (first published 1926)

Kate Forsyth
This is ne of the treasures I found in a second-hand children's bookshop Hay-on-Wye when i was there recently – a third edition of ‘Jo of the Chalet School’ by Elinor M Brent-Dyer, published in 1936, with illustrated bookplates intact. This is the second book in the famous series about a girls’ school in the Austrian Tyrol, but was the first one I ever read. I had found a box of them in my grandmother’s attic while staying there on Christmas holidays, and read my way through them. Years later, I ...more
LH Johnson
There's very little to say about the early Chalet School books other than to rhapsodise over how awfully lovely they are. And they are. They are like snow on the day when you don't have to go to school. There's something other worldly about them at this point in the series and it is something rather special and beautiful.

So! Here we are. It is only book two and the school is still finding its feet. We are on the side of the bluest lake in all of Austria and it includes one of my most favourite m
Carolynne
Robin makes her first appearance at the Chalet School, and headmistress Madge, who is Jo's sister, gets engaged to Dr. Jem Russell of the nearby TB sanitarium ("The San"). Not the most compelling of the Chalet School series, but you need to read it for background for the subsequent books.
Donna Boultwood
Dec 09, 2013 Donna Boultwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't give these books anything less than 5 stars. Adorable and of a time. Gruss gott!! Loved the Shakespearean slang and new character the Robin.
Deborah
Jun 07, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Who writes these synopses?!

The Chalet School now boasts over 30 pupils. Correct

The autumn term sees adventures of all kinds - a flood that threatens the school I think you'll find this happens in the EASTER term and the dramatic rescue of an unwanted St Bernard puppy. Oh, well done. Although we don't actually witness the rescue, do we?

Finally Joey, Robin and Madge spend a delightful Christmas at Innsbruck. 'Finally'? No, this happens halfway through the book, before the flood. HELLO! Did you r
Shawne
Jun 25, 2014 Shawne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where school stories are concerned, very few can rival the length, depth and quaint magic of Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's Chalet School series - none more so than at the very beginning, when the school is just getting started in the Austrian Tyrol. At this point, the universe is fresh and refreshing, filled with some of the characters who will stay with the series through over 50 books - many of them at their most winning and human.

Jo Of The Chalet School, in particular, is a joy - a world centred fir
Ella Mclellan
Feb 14, 2014 Ella Mclellan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
i love this book and i think it is one of my fav. chalet school books as my family have 60 out of 62 books of the chalet school! i definitely recommend and i love the robin and Rufus the pup!
Adrienne
Such lovely tosh. Surely in real life the Chalet School would have shut down by the end of this book, yet another accident making it uninsurable.
Katherine Bruce
Jan 06, 2016 Katherine Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jo of introduces a number of new ideas that EBD does not really use in other non-Chalet books: hobbies club, Shakespeariana, St Bernard dogs, a nativity play, etc. The much-lauded Christmas scenes also help to introduce her readers to another facet of continental life. Like its predecessor, it is made up of a series of short scenes and events rather than attempting to follow one or two characters through the course of the book. Of course, having so few characters means that almost all of them ge ...more
Ruby Rose Scarlett
I liked this much more than the first one so I'm so glad I persisted. I'm getting really attached to the students, especially Joey (who I consider the main character at this point). I still wish most of the adventures would take place within the school and revolve around school activities but I really enjoyed the girls' Christmas spent with a host family nonetheless. The Robin is a lovely addition to the cast, too. At this point I'm considering this an adventure series, not a school series, and ...more
Sue
Sep 20, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the lengthy series about a girls' boarding school in Austria. This book particularly features 13-year-old Joey, sister of the school Head. She makes new friends, becomes editor of a magazine, learns to ski, and even discovers what her future career is likely to be.

Much more interesting than the average school story for teenagers, even if it does seem a little dated in places. So enjoyable to read the hardback again, after only having a paperback version for many years.
Nicola
Oct 06, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this just as much as the first one. I especially liked the descriptions of Christmas in Innsbruck. Joey's 'Elsie' book and the Shakespearean slang made me laugh. Oh and I now want a St Bernard puppy! (although my cats wouldn't be impressed)

I need to try and find an unabridged The Princess of the Chalet School now :\
Jan 05, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin is introduced in this book, and she's featured in a lot of the following books. She's a six year old, the baby of the school, placed there because her father had to go to Russia for business. She quickly becomes everybody's darling because of her sweet temperament.

Lots of fun in this book, from going skiing, Christmas celebrations in a foreign country, and a big surprise for Madge at the end!
Hanna
Sep 10, 2014 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls 8 - 12
Shelves: childhood-books
Fancy seeing this old series here :-) Do children still read books like this..? Well, I loved these books anyway! Jo is such a sweet heroine. It is probably wildly politically incorrect nowadays though.. But the "wisdom" from the Chalet school series helped me fit in later when I started boarding school. Don't brag, don't whinge and don't gossip too much. Thank you Elinor Brent Dyer, lol!

^
Rather smudgy typeface; perhaps not reset since the first printing?!

Both charming; and nowadays, positively funny. Take the singing class under the tutelage of Mr Denny (later christened by the girls ‘Plato’) for example. “ ‘That went well. Now if the tiny maiden” – he indicated the Robin again – ‘will bring me the first song, we will ask this next little elf to distribute these!’ ” (p.103).
Celia Powell
Feb 21, 2008 Celia Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second Chalet School book - the school's students continue to increase in number, and there's a terrible flood. Plus, a puppy, as you can see from the cover. Joey continues to be a delicate little flower who collapses in a serious fever whenever a breeze brushes against her the wrong way.
Sally
I'd forgotten Robin popped up so early. I was never really that keen on her - or Jo, for that matter!
Sarah Adamson
Jun 08, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is the second book in the chalet girl series. A very enjoyable book and one of my favourites.
Sian Taylor
lovely series of books for girls
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Schopflin
Schopflin rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Kim
Kim added it
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Prue
Prue rated it liked it
Bex
Bex rated it really liked it
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's (St. Clare's, #6)
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • Great Northern? A Scottish Adventure of Swallows & Amazons (Swallows & Amazons, #12)
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)
  • The New House at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #12)