Start by marking “Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)” as Want to Read:
Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)

Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School #6)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"A rotten little sneak!" "A smug prig!" That's how the girls at the Chalet School describe Eustacia, and she's only been there a day! Somehow they'll have to take her down a peg or two. Nursing a bitter grudge, Eustacia plans her revenge - a revenge that will have dire consequences for the school.
Published January 1st 1969 by HarperCollins (UK) (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School

Shawne
Aug 09, 2014 Shawne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's odd to say so, but re-reading Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's most enduring series really makes very clear that EUSTACIA GOES TO THE CHALET SCHOOL is where a great deal of it really falls into place. The first five books were all about the school finding its feet and identity - from being founded, to growing, developing, and brushing up against a rival school. With EUSTACIA, the school has settled into itself, and the template for many of the remaining books in the series - a girl arrives at the Cha ...more
Kerry
Apr 29, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm calling this a reread as I have read the paperback version of Eustacia before. All the same, it's kind of a new read as well.

While I've known for a long time that many of the Chalet school paperpacks were abridged, I didn't always realise how drastic some of those abridgements had been. This is one that was chopped to pieces. Reading this new, Girls Gone By edition, I occasionally went and pulled my old Armada paperback of the shelf to discover that a long chapter in the one I was reading ha
Jane Irish Nelson
Previously only read the abridged Armada edition, so it was very nice to be able to read the new unabridged edition from Girls Gone By Publishers.

When Eustacia's parents die, her father's will states that she should be sent to school, much to her aunt's relief. At the suggestion of Grizel Cochrane's stepmother, the Chalet School is chosen, in hopes that she will find her place amongst its students, many of whom have experienced more rigid upbringings than the average English girl. Unfortunately,
Toni
Jan 16, 2016 Toni rated it really liked it
Poor Eustacia. "Arrant little prig" she may be, but I defy any girl who has spent the first fourteen years of her life living with elderly parents in Oxford and reading erudite books, to relish being told by her nearest remaining relative that she is unlovable, and then being sent away, not just to boarding school, but to a boarding school as far away as humanly possible, where she is forced to take part in physical activity that she loathes, has no time to herself, and is told that every value ...more
Deborah
Jun 11, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, who can forget Eustacia, the conceited, smug new girl who is so bad she has to injure her back in order to become a nice person. EBD doesn't dwell on this - it's more of a magic wand type transformation (pouf! You shall be a proper Chalet girl!) - and actually it's everything that comes before it which makes this such a good Chalet book. Joey is at the stroppy teenager stage, the school is still small enough that you feel you know everybody, all the best teachers are on the staff, and Madge ...more
Sally
Haha!! What a holy terror of a girl Eustacia is! This was a re-read, but it's been so long since my first (and I think only) read that I didn't recognise much of it, if any, really.

Eustacia is awesome to read about. She's just plain awful! An uppity little sneak who looks down on everyone and doesn't care who she is rude to. Older students, prefects, even teachers! Certainly makes for fun reading! I was laughing out loud more than once at her antics.

Interesting to re-read a very early book in th
LH Johnson
The sixth in the series, rich with the gorgeous detail of the Tyrol and the sheer thrill of the early titles, Eustacia Goes To The Chalet School is spectacular. It's sort of a blueprint of everything the Chalet School series could be when it was on form.

Following the now traditional concept of new term, new girls, this term sees Eustacia join the Chalet School. Eustacia is sort of different. She's an 'arrant little prig'. It took me a long time to actually figure out what that means but it's not
Parinita
Jan 22, 2013 Parinita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vass
Aug 10, 2007 Vass rated it liked it
It was... challenging. It pushed a lot of my buttons in the bad way. This is not to say that I hated it, just that, well, it was challenging.

I really don't think it's such a dreadful personality flaw to hate (or even simultaneously hate and have a crush on) Joey Bettany. Bill and Charlie are still my favourite characters.

I prefer the prig to the reformed girl. One of the tropes I really really hate in school stories, especially the Chalet School, is when a girl can redeem herself and become acce
Celia Powell
Mar 11, 2008 Celia Powell rated it really liked it
Book 6 of the Chalet School series, and we meet Eustacia, probably the worst student ever (so far, at least). To give you a sample, the first sentence of this book - "There is no disguising the fact that Eustacia Benson was the most arrant little prig that ever existed." (Which is an awesome insult, by the way - I have been waiting for the opportunity to call someone an arrant little prig.)

(Also, I love that the synopsis on the book page makes it sound like Eustacia is plotting to firebomb the C
Heather
Apr 12, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome to read the unabridged version from Girls Gone By.
Sue
Oct 03, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Eustacia is the daughter of an eminent professor, and is sent to the Chalet School. She considers herself superior to the other girls, which inevitably leads to some clashes and - eventually - high drama.

This is sixth in the lengthy series, and I'm delighted to have it in hardback now. Much better than the abridged paperback version which I last read six years previously. Good light reading that doesn't use up too much brain power, and yet is surprisingly moving in places.
Boneist
May 29, 2011 Boneist rated it it was amazing
This is the second of the books I bought yesterday, although it's a few books further on. I love these books; they're a different world, being as they're set in the 1920/30's, yet they're still accessible.

I enjoyed this book, though I felt it ended a little sooner than it should have. It's your basic "new, disagreeable girl joins the school, but comes good in the end" story, but still enjoyable.
Donna Boultwood
Jan 23, 2014 Donna Boultwood rated it it was amazing
What a horrid little girl! I wondered what it was going to take to turn things around. As per usual all comes right in the end.

I was really shocked at one sentence though - and I suppose it shows the age the book was written - Mary says "we'll have to work like niggers" - terrible.
Carolynne
Aug 12, 2009 Carolynne rated it really liked it
One of the best of the Chalet School series. Eustacia is bright, but arrogant and self-centered. Naturally she has to be whipped into shape, and Joey is helpful in achieving that! A character study, but there is lots of Alpine adventure too.
Tria
Chambers hardback edition. Review to come.
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Helen McGowan
Helen McGowan rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Emma Kellogg
Emma Kellogg marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Lise
Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Awesome Momi
Awesome Momi rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Ray McCarthy
Ray McCarthy rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 03, 2016
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • No Castanets at the Wells (Sadlers Wells, #3)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • International Velvet
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's (St. Clare's, #6)
  • Cherry Ames, Rural Nurse (Cherry Ames, #22)
  • Children of Morrow
  • Girl With a White Dog
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Lake at the End of the World
  • Grinny
21978
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell d ...more
More about Elinor M. Brent-Dyer...

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Head Girl of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #4)
  • Rivals of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #5)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)
  • The New House at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #12)