Start by marking “On Bicycles: 50 Ways the New Bike Culture Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
On Bicycles: 50 Ways the New Bike Culture Can Change Your Life

On Bicycles: 50 Ways the New Bike Culture Can Change Your Life

Bike culture is exploding in cities like Portland, OR, New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Montreal, and Vancouver, BC. Whether people are riding folding bikes to the commuter train, slipping through traffic on streamlined single speeds, or carrying children and groceries on their cargo bikes, bicycles are making urban life more dynamic and enjoyable — simply better.

Amy Walk
Published September 20th 2011 by New World Library (first published August 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about On Bicycles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Bicycles

Kate
Dec 25, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wheelmen and wheelladies
Recommended to Kate by: Brian
Shelves: biking
"I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood."

Hell isn't other people. Hell is other people's cars.
Michael
Oct 30, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
This is a collection of fifty four-to-eight page essays on various aspects of bicycling, organized in four sections. The essays in the first section, "All the right reasons," are the part of the boom intended for those who may be new(er) to subject of "bike culture" (which I take to mean urban cycling as a significant part of one's lifestyle). Otherwise I think the intended audience would be people who have some knowledge and interest but want to know more - a blurb states, "the 'Whole Earth ...more
Mykle
Oct 11, 2011 Mykle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with limbs
This book's so good that I wrote some of it! But seriously, this is a wide-ranging collection of essays both personal and erudite about what bicycling means, how it relates to an examined life and an anxious planet, and above all how to do it in style. Wisdom, advice, musings and digressions, a touch of revolutionary spirit and a ton of encouragement and good advice. Much of it is written by Momentum Magazine contributors (hello!), and super-editor Amy Walker has five or six nice essays in there ...more
Lucas
Jun 22, 2012 Lucas rated it really liked it
I'm not accustomed to reading books like this, but since I'm a relatively green biker, I thought I'd give it a whurl. On Bicycles was very informative and inspirational. This is the kind of book that I will gift to someone that is thinking about becoming a biker, buying a bike or just likes bikes. I love that there is a biking community and that this book is proof of that seeing as how it was written as a community effort. I must admit I keep it in my bike bag and just carry it around with me on ...more
A
Mar 22, 2012 A rated it it was amazing
Inspirational! Filled with lots of interesting information. I'm an avid, long-time cyclist and I learned alot. Great for learning how to network and advocate in your community. Chapter length is perfect for learning tidbits on which you can then go further and read up on elsewhere if interested. Very complete.
John Busteed
Jan 28, 2012 John Busteed rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
If you like Momentum magazine and I do, then you will like this book. The book is broken into a lot of short articles that covers every topic concerning bikes that most people would be interested on.
Kristen
This book was a great combination of inspiring stories and practical how-to information. The market for this title is probably a bit niche - best suited for the individual who is excited about cycling and wants a basic introduction to the ins and outs - but it is perfect for this person. In short, specific chapters experts introduce the readers to a variety of bicycle related topics and share their enthusiasm for cycling. The reader can happily jump around and read the chapters that interest ...more
Tuck
Mar 14, 2012 Tuck rated it liked it
Shelves: bike-travel
good encyclopedia-like book all about bikes in early 21st century. has lots of links to online info, good index, and fair to poor illustrations, but short, to the point chapters written by experts (mostly from canada and usa) about all things bikes like : types (freak, cargo, commuter, road race) ; culture (kids, collectives, car-free streets) ; laws/changes (workplace changes, advocacy, safe routes to schools, share the road, parking)
Meredith Stranges
Sep 17, 2014 Meredith Stranges rated it really liked it
A super little collection of essays on cycling culture and infrastructure, from the point of view of those who wish to ride for transportation rather than sport. There was much practical advice on kitting out your bike (and yourself) for cycle commuting, and how laws and society in North America are starting to shift toward more bike-friendly roads. Definitely recommended for anyone who would like to simply get around by bike without having to regard every cycling trip as a workout.
Sharon
Jul 05, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: bicycles
Even as an avid bicyclist, this book contained ideas and information that encouraged me not only to ride more, but to work toward promoting bicycling and encouraging others to ride as well. People will not ride more if safe bikeways are not there, no matter how much we want to! This book contains information of how biking will help our communities and advocating for bikeways and services such as bike parking would benefit everyone.
ChaCha Ala Mode
Nov 25, 2012 ChaCha Ala Mode rated it really liked it
Collection of essays all about cycling. If you are a new cyclist it is a great resource. If you are a seasoned cyclist looking for new ideas on cycling you may find info. If you work for any governmental transportation department it is great insight for creating infrastructure to get people on bikes.
Robin
Jan 01, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This fun anthology of essays about bicycling ranges from the merits of bicycling (-including fun), pros and cons of various types of bikes, how to get around by bike while meeting your needs, types of advocacy, and more. Accessible and interesting for newbies and casual riders, though more experienced riders might get bored.
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
The series of articles about everything bicycle seriously made me want to live in one of the highlighted cities, where it is possible to get around on a bike. I may even dust off mine and try it in Wichita...when it's cooler.
SLT
Apr 03, 2013 SLT rated it really liked it
This was a great book to get me ready for spring biking! I would recommend this to anyone who is on the fence about incorporating more cycling in their daily life. The range of topics was fun without being overwhelming. Very easy to read.
Artie White
Apr 28, 2016 Artie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer for many aspects of cycling.

On Bicycles is a great collection of essays covering a multitude of aspects and pieces of bicycling. A great primer for anyone interested in bicycle culture or bicycling in general.
Sally
Oct 28, 2012 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bicycle
This is a great book for anybody who loves to ride bicycles. Each chapter is written by a different person.
Alicia
Dec 26, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it
Very interesting and relevant essays regarding aspects of a biking lifestyle. Great book! Imparted some fresh ideas regarding myself and the greater community of cyclists.
Linda
Oct 28, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
excellent ..gave as a gift to others
Eric
Apr 18, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment
Can't beat books about bikes for me!
Whit Smith
Aug 14, 2013 Whit Smith rated it really liked it
Essential for the serious bicycle advocate.
Mark
Oct 22, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: bicycling
I'm not there with all the different alternatives to "regular" bikes and all included and touted in the book, but this is a good book geared toward the person who's just getting acquainted with the idea of making their life less auto-dependent. For those of us who have been there a while, of course, it's more preaching to the choir, but also somewhat informative. Not great, but then again, not bad.
Dewayne Stark
Oct 05, 2016 Dewayne Stark rated it really liked it
For someone who knows everything about bicycles I did learn a few things. Bellies and penis size was an interesting fact. A woman winning the Race Across a America was another. The statement that Catalina Island is car free is not valid.
Anita Valenzuela
Oct 13, 2012 Anita Valenzuela rated it really liked it
Ok, este es un libro que toda persona que quiera una ciudad más amigable con la bicicleta debe leer. Desde la multiplicidad de opiniones (50 capítulos escritos por distintas personas) hasta la de ideas, este libro es un must para cualquier ciclista, no siendo el típico libro " la bicicleta es cool" sino que el aporte a la multi-modalidad de destinos es cool. Hasta ideas de negocios pueden sacarse.

Totalmente recomendable!!
Aaron Prazan
Oct 04, 2012 Aaron Prazan rated it it was ok
These essays had some good information, but there was just too much self-aggrandizing going on. I can only take so much altruism, environmentalism, and community consciousness before I hit the cynicism threshold. Bike Snob calls this smugness and it gets overwhelming. I believe this is a compilation of blog articles and it's best taken in small doses, as the blog form provides, rather than in book form.
Marianne
Mar 07, 2012 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook, own, 2012
An interesting set of essays on the current state of bicycle culture in America. I'm already a bike commuter, so most of the information in the book wasn't newto me but I think it would be a great resource for someone new to or on the fence about bike commuting.
gina
Nov 22, 2012 gina rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a very interesting mix of articles all somehow related to bicycles. I can honestly say I didn't expect it to be so wide ranging and I learned about a lot of topics I never knew about or had heard about. Very informative and inspiring!
Kathleen
Jul 19, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Chapters all written by different authors so book covers lots of great topics with great perspectives from bikers. Also enjoyed the realization that many big cities are much more progressive in their thinking that where I live.
Josh
Jul 15, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Some articles provide references; most are interesting articles; wide range of topics--more material for the maintenance-free commuter: internal gearing and full chain-case.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lots of short essays which defiantly made me want to get on my bike. Nice introduction to those who are just starting out or are wanting to ride more as a daily habit.
Chris
Jul 30, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
An uneven collection of essays on the joy of bicycling. Some good information, but was too geared for the urban hipster to hold the attention of this old man living in a rural area.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bikenomics: How Bicycling Can Save The Economy
  • Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities
  • Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike
  • Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (With a Few Flat Tires Along the Way)
  • The Culinary Cyclist: A Cookbook and Companion for the Good Life
  • Effective Cycling
  • The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street
  • It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels
  • The Enlightened Cyclist: Commuter Angst, Dangerous Drivers, and Other Obstacles on the Path to Two-Wheeled Trancendence
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • In the City of Bikes: The Story of the Amsterdam Cyclist
  • Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You'Ve Probably Never Thought of (Lansky, Vicki)
  • Chainbreaker Bike Book: A Rough Guide to Bicycle Maintenience
  • Major: A Black Athlete, a White Era, and the Fight to Be the World's Fastest Human Being
  • Bicycling Science