Start by marking “Billie's Kiss” as Want to Read:
Billie's Kiss

Billie's Kiss

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  21 reviews
With an Edwardian twist on The Tempest, and all the surprising, earthy and magical qualities of The Vintner's Luck, Knox's irresistible new novel is set on the remote, divided Scottish island of Kissack and Killing, one half of which looks historically and geographically towards Catholic Ireland, the other towards the Protestant north and Scandinavia. In the spring of 1903 ...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 2003 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Billie's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billie's Kiss

Behind the Hood by Marita A. HansenPhenomena by Susan TarrThe Bone People by Keri HulmeThe Whale Rider by Witi IhimaeraMister Pip by Lloyd Jones
Books By New Zealand Authors
188th out of 573 books — 258 voters
Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWings by Aprilynne PikeThe Maze Runner by James DashnerStolen by Lucy Christopher
Great Lesser-known Books!
278th out of 490 books — 481 voters

More lists with this book...

I only got through 50 pages, so I have little meat for a review. Suffice it to say the writing was bloated with self-importance, the dialogue was choppy, the scenes were brief, & the tone was distant. I suspect these things are meant to translate into "nuanced characterization" & "exploring the depths of human experience" & other academic twaddle. Heck, maybe they do translate to nuanced characterization & exploration of the depths of human experience -- but I'm not the person to ...more
Tiffany Reisz
Marvelous book. 4.5 stars? Sorry I can't do half-stars. It's not five only because I will forever compare everything I read by Knox to "The Vintner's Luck," which I've yet to recover from.

I feel like Knox and I might have muses who are near-relations. Cousins maybe? "The Vinter's Luck" has a same-sex love affair between a man and an angel. An enigmatic bisexual Frenchman even.

"Billie's Kiss" has an enigmatic blond Scandinavian as its hero. Dark and difficult, he falls in love with an unsuitable
Kerry
I find Elizabeth Knox’s books hard to start. But I’m always rewarded if I can get past the first few chapters – they always seem to take time to warm to them. Knox’s characters and situations seldom lure me in instantly – they seem a bit unlikeable or inaccessible. I have to be willing to get to know them. But I usually am, because ultimately, the story will reveal rewards in its complexity and emotional intelligence.

The start of Billie’s Kiss seemed as frosty and remote as the setting on an icy
Krisz
My actual rating is more like 4.5 - definitely more than 4 but I wouldn't say there's no better book under the sun... still, it's among the best.
Anyway.
It is that kind of book that I actually want to keep putting away and aside and read it slowly, so it lasts longer... And I think I know the secret now! I devour those books where the writer takes the time to linger and describe things in delicate details: the people, their thoughts, the actions and movements, the surroundings. I really liked the
Nanci
Booklist says: "Set in Scotland in 1903, Knox's novel begins with an explosion--literally. Billie Paxton is traveling with her pregnant sister, Edith, and Edith's husband, Henry, to Stolnsay, where Henry is to be employed by Lord Hallowhulme as a secretary. After Billie shares an impulsive kiss with Henry on the deck of the ship on which they are traveling, she leaps into the sea. Immediately after she jumps, a bomb goes off, and the ship sinks, killing many of the passengers, including Edith. L ...more
Charlotte
Elizabeth Knox lives in New Zealand, and it's a little hard to find her books here, but Ann got me this for Christmas. I loved it, eventually. At first I didn't think it was anything like the other books of hers I've read--Dreamhunter & Dreamquake, which are AWESOME--but actually it kind of is. And it has a terrible title. A young woman (Billie) is traveling with her sister and brother-in-law to an island that I think is in the Orkneys, a UK protectorate, but nearer to Sweden. The ferry they ...more
Georgina
A good read, a romance and a bit of a who-dunnit. Evocative of its own bleak world, but not, I feel of the period or place in which it is set. The determination to keep the prose dense and lyrical can often obscure the narrative and I often found myself puzzled. Portraying an odd collection of characters - none of whom are wholly engaging or sympathetic and without true heroes, many of the relationships are unconvincing and some complex issues of personality, history, ideology, moltive or status ...more
Abbi
I loved this book, as I've loved all of Knox's work so far. Her writing is gorgeous, and I always try to take my time reading her books simply to enjoy the language. The story, as her previous ones have been, is less about the mystery of the boat's explosion and more about the people involved. Knox's characters are all fascinating, and I lost myself in the story, not wanting to put the book down (a problem when in graduate school).

I tend to think of Knox's books not as thrillers or mysteries or
Mar 16, 2010 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I have become enchanted with Knox's stories, especially their eerie and mysterious moods. "Billie's Kiss" takes place in turn of the century (20th century) Scotland. It is a mystery unveiled through the perspectives of Billie, an innocent and naive young woman, Murdo Hesketh, a morose and passionate man, and Geordie Betler, the observant butler. I didn't figure out "who did it" until the end, so it worked for me!
Kate
Billies Kiss became a bit of a chore to read. I found the characters intriguing and the setting appealing but the writing style had me struggling therefore as the book progressed I lost the desire to continue - I finished but the hook to keep me going was missing.
Judith Yeabsley
I got too bored and gave up 3/4 of the way through. Not something I generally do but as it was over Christmas I jsut didn't want to fight my way through. It wasn't particularly bad it just wasn't really gripping and I could not be bothered with the ending !!
Diane
I had a hard time following this book in spots. I was curious as to how it would end so I did finish it. Not the best book I have read, but was ok. I had to re-read some of the dialogue to figure out just who was speaking at times.
Beth
Aug 08, 2012 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gothic Lolitas
Shelves: books-i-own
Another modern Gothic novel, complete with free-spirited heroine and windswept moor. The real appeal is Elizabeth Knox's quirky writing style, and the unique attributes she gives these fresh yet familiar characters.
Chris LaHatte
This is that rare book I never finished. I have liked her others, but this just left me cold, and struggle though I might, never found out the finish-and didnt care.
Martha Grace
I had a little trouble following this book, got the characters mixed up, but it may have been a reader problem rather than a writer problem.
Heather
A very enjoyable read and I liked the depth of mystery. I’d think I had it sussed and then there would be another twist.
Ashley
I am always deeply moved by her charaters and their detailed histories. she lets you feel their pain and happiness!
Nez
Slow pace is right. Hard to follow at times. Doesn't entice me to read anymore books by EK.
Lauren
Could have been improved with the addition of gay angels.
Michelle
Eh, ok book, not great.
Deborah
Sometimes I found it confusing, because I'm bad with mysteries, but I felt like it was really unusual, and I liked that.
Book Club
Book Club marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Justin Elswick
Justin Elswick is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Elke
Elke added it
Jun 16, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
  • Ambergate (Murkmere Hall, #2)
  • Stum sitter guden (Maria Wern #1)
  • Clockwork Phoenix: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #2)
  • The Steel Spring
  • The Inquisitor
  • The Long Rain
  • Journey Through the Night
  • De val
  • The Dead Sit Round in a Ring (DS Stella Mooney, #1)
  • The Cowboy and the Vampire: Rough Trails and Shallow Graves  (The Cowboy and the Vampire, #3)
  • The Virtuoso
  • Rødhette
  • The Snowman's Children
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • Sara Dane
  • Het zesde zintuig
  • The Last Pendragon
  • Snikken en Grimlachjes
Elizabeth Knox was born in Wellington‚ New Zealand‚ and is the author of eleven novels and three novella and a book of essays.

More about Elizabeth Knox...
Dreamhunter (The Dreamhunter Duet, #1) Dreamquake (The Dreamhunter Duet, #2) The Vintner's Luck (Vintner's Luck, #1) Mortal Fire Wake