Hurricane (Hurricane #1)
read excerpt

Hurricane (Hurricane #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Adriana couldn’t decide what was worse—that Hurricane Katrina was heading for New Orleans, or that she might not survive her kidnapping to see its potential effects. She had trusted Hayden, even fallen for him, and now he and his brother Luke were taking her deeper and deeper into the Bayou. Why had two of her classmates, the mysterious Boudreaux brothers, kidnapped her? W...more
Published August 2011 by Divertir Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane

Katrina
Ok, so where do I start, do I mention this book has two hotty brothers,** SWOON BIG TIME **
one a good guy( Initially at first you may not think so - you may want to kick his arragant arse ) and one a baddy- but goody... hard to explain but you must read to find out? Now you're thinking oh this is De JA vu two brothers one bad - one good you have heard it all before!!

Well you're wrong...

Jenna has created a unique storyline to go with her great cast of characters. Characters that I'm sure will...more
Nikki Davis
"This just didn’t happen to girls like me. This just didn’t happen to anyone."

hehe LOVED this book! I cant wait for the next one!!!! I loved the intro. It was creative, from a different point of view and I liked how I had to keep reading to find out who was speaking. Any book that begins with Damn is OK in my book!

"Damn. I never should have agreed to this. What is he thinking? Here we are in a piece of crap pickup truck on our way to sit outside of a supermarket to kidnap this girl. Damn. He’d...more
Fatima
Gilbert&Gomez
This book touched something special in me because I've lived in the New Orleans area for my entire life. I knew that as soon as I read this book it would be different from all the other books that I've read with New Orleans in them. This book actually talked about home, life in New Orleans, the history of this mysterious city. Hurricane did that and more because Jenna-Lynne actually lived here. She described everything down to the color of the street signs in the French Quarter.

It was interesti...more
Kristin (Better Read Than Dead)
Jenna-Lynn Duncan begins Hurricane several days before Hurricane Katrina destroys New Orleans. The prologue had me hooked and I found each page full of exciting events and trivia about New Orleans’ culture. I have always wanted to visit New Orleans and now I know I have to, and yes I know this is a purely fictional tale. The characters brought this story to life, allowing you to fall into the story.

Adriana is a seventeen year old young lady who suffers from loneliness and the insecurities of fee...more
SATIN SUE
Sheila
Something happened in New Orleans in 2005. A city was inundated and almost died, but rose again from the flood and, I’m told, is vibrantly alive. The events of Jenna-Lynne Duncan’s novel, Hurricane, take place before and after that fateful storm, with a frantic race against time through Biloxi taking place as wind and water sweep the streets. The author recreates a slow life of poverty shaped by school, the dawning of fear as wider things threaten, the reluctance to move, and the final return to...more
Monique James
Adriana's mom has never been part of her life, and her father is slowly backing away. Life with nothing, but a catastrophic hurricane

looming down on the city she loves, allows her to yield to the opportunity to find out about another world that exists; a world she is a part

of. Being a lover of all things, Louisiana, made this one a no-brainer for me. Jenna Lynn's descriptions of the city of New Orleans made me long

to walk the French Quarter and nostalgic for pre-Katrina days. Jenna Lynn is a w...more
Rose2468
Published in my blog:

Reading the first chapters, I believed I have read too many books with the same concept: A new guy comes into school (or two guys, like in this book), girl doesn't fall in love with him unlike the rest of the girls and then weird things start happen. Does it sound familiar? If not, you probably haven't read enough books.

Hurricane is nothing like them. I am going to admit I was disappointed at first but soon I've been proved to be wro...more
Leona
I finally purchased Hurricane after months of lusting after it! I was worried when I purchased it that I would be disappointed, thankfully this was not the case.

Jenna-Lynne Duncan has created wonderful characters and an interesting plot that I was captivated by straight away.

It is written in the first person which was a nice change from the usual third person narrative. It gave the book a more personal feel and allowed us to connect more with the main character.

Ms Duncan has written an brilli...more
Kat
wow at first i thought i wouldnt really like this book, im not really into the whole highschool scene (although that scene is my life lol) but it was only for a short while. Ana was a really likeable character, and hayden and luke were amazing!:) ah luke and hayden.... so awesome! usually i go for the sweetheart (Hayden) but i was somehow more interested in Luke (our aloof character). I want Ana to be with Hyaden dont get me wrong, but ya cant help loving Luke too. But really this book was rathe...more
Claudia Scheinecker
Thanks Jenna-Lynne Duncan for sending me a copy!

Wow i didnt expect to love it the way i did. It was nice to read something different, it was part of the reason i liked it so much. The characters were fabulous! I loved Hayden's caring loving characer but i loved the passion and vigor that Luke had too- how can one choose?
I think the setting of New Orleans and the event of Hurricane Katrina all contributed to making this book so gripping, you can see Ana's love for New Orleans, the culture and lif...more
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
It might not look like much, but this book is actually really good. I had a really hard time putting it down. I was glued to my smart phone while reading this. It was probably because you kept wondering what the deal with Adriana was. What is she? And what is the brothers? Why did they kidnap her? Yeah a lot of questions, and you will keep having questions through out this book, some of the really big questions never get answered so it is good that there will be a sequel to this one because othe...more
Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
I really enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on throughout the story. The prologue definitely peaked my interest and kept me reading on to see who was speaking. I'm still not entirely sure!

The story doesn't really give much away about what's going on. I'm left with questions like, 'what's so important about Ana?' and 'what's up with Luke?' With all that I'm left wondering, the story itself isn't lacking.

I'm actually very surprised by Luke. He doesn't say much until close to the end where...more
Daphne
I enjoyed this book. Storyline was different. Loved the love story. Wish the ending was different but I'm still excited to get to the second book.
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
oh wow...I really really really need book two!!!!!
Becky
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I did a release post about this book back in September with an author interview. You can read that here.
It's taken me longer than I hoped to get round to this book, not because I didn't want to read it, just life seemed to keep getting in the way. I finished it today and have to say I really enjoyed it.
It's not something I would normally have picked up to be honest but I'm glad I did, It had everything in it you could want, Love, d...more
Samantha
I enjoyed this book, but was also confused. It had a good plot, but at the beginning I was like "Um.. I thought this was supposed to be about a Hurricane. Am I reading the right book?" But then I read farther into it and figured out, that yes I was in fact reading the right book.

The plot was a little confusing. It seemed to jump from place to place with no real connection. One second it was talking about her being at school, and in the same paragraph she was at home trying to figure some things...more
Dani
The night before her junior year of high school begins, Adriana has a strange dream that two new students have enrolled at her school. The very next day, she discovers that the student body is abuzz about the two new guys who have started classes at Ecole Classique – Hayden & Luke Boudreaux. She brushes it off as mere coincidence, until the premonitions keep occurring and one comes fatally true. Not only are her dreams frightening and have her questioning her self, but she finds herself incr...more
Sharon
www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Hurricane was kindly provided to me by author Jenna-Lynn Duncan

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Hurricane
was kindly provided to me by author Jenna-Lynn Duncan.

Adriana Alexander is an only child and living with her seemingly absent father, she experiences nightly dreams that are eerily realistic and when she dreams of the arrival of two new students and finding out it has in fact come true, she starts to question her abilities.

Luke and Hayden are good-looking, smar...more
Jen - ReadingwithPugs
*Check out my blog for an interview with Jenna-Lynne.*

This is a paranormal tale which included a multitude of paranormal elements and characters. Not only was the story creepy and intriguing but there was also a love element. Besides the turmoil of being hunted by a witch, falling for a distant guy and having dreams in which she can see the future, the main character is also fleeing from the biggest hurricane to hit New Orleans!

For me, this book was a page turner. There was so much happening an...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Well this is one interesting book. I though I was in for a con-temp dealing with a hurricane but noooo, this book took me off guard giving me a great read.

What I adored most about this book is the great plot of it. Adriana life is in shambles and she faces a whole of misery. Always left alone, Adriana is on the brink of loneliness. I felt for this character right away. Being raised up without my father much in my life, I know what it is like to be set aside for my father girlfriends. Adriana dea...more
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
The night before Ana’s first day of school, she has a weird dream that two new students start school. Not thinking much about it until she gets to school, she realizes her dream came true. Brothers, Hayden and Luke captivate the entire female student body and Ana is not immune to their good looks either. After finally catching a glimpse of Hayden, she cannot take her eyes off of him. But Hayden’s hot and cold attitude is infuriating. One minute he seems interested in her and the next he claims t...more
Marissa
Let me just say first...I absolutely loved this story! There’s a good mix of mystery, fantasy, and of course romance. Duncan did a wonderful and creative job writing and setting a paranormal story during the time of a real life event, and everything from the setting, characters, and situations; they all came together very nicely, very impressed! I really was intrigued with the Paranormal side to this story. You’ll see what I mean as I really don’t want to give too much. There were good descripti...more
Kayce

I liked this book a lot but some things just didn't make sense.
She kind of fell for her kidnapper
Witch in real life would never happen
In real life you would be screaming and running away
But in this most of the time she is drooling all over Hayden
I did want them to fall for each other but I just thought that, that point in the book was not the right time for that.
I also kind of felt bad for Luke he seemed to pushed out of the picture a lot I just felt bad for him.
I thought that adriana was...more
T. Snyder
I am very picky about my YA books and I read the summary on this one and thought it sounded right up my alley! Boy was I glad I took a chance on it! I love this book! I can't wait for the next one to come out. Duncan will be an auto-buy for me.

I loved the writing. The writing is first person past tense and has a very personal feel to it. The novel had me hooked from the prologue and it kept me on the edge of my seat from there.

If you're the type of person who falls in love with fictional chara...more
Tracey
Anna, Two hot guys, New Orleans. great start to a book that quickly confused me. What is Anna? why are these two trying to kill Her? Hayden falls in love with Anna so he decides not to kill her. then she meets his Immortal family. Luke profess his love for her after spending half the book being a douche to her. There is a lot of New Orleans in this book. love that. then the ending starts to clear up my confusion. even though I didn't love this book, I have a feeling the next will be so much bett...more
Emma Herman
I loved this book. It was creative and unlike anything else. When it started out with two brothers moving into town I was slightly dissapointed, as this happens in many other stories. But I had no need to be dissapointed and as I read on I fully enjoyed every part. I also found out the two brothers had a very nice reason as to why they moved into town. I would highly recommend this book to anyone! Looking forward to the next book.
Brittany Mayo
Oct 20, 2011 Brittany Mayo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brittany by: http://www.jenna-lynne.com/index.html
"Hurricane" has you pulled in from the start! Keeps you on your seat. It's well written and layed out. You feel like your right there the entire time. 5 stars easy! It's a good and easy read that many would enjoy!!
Heathersbookreview
This was an author request. I LOVED this book. I read it in a day and a half and it was amazing. I will be doing a review on it on my youtube channel in a few days!
Book two 1 7 Feb 08, 2012 10:42AM
E.Y.A.B.: Giveaway of Hurricane 1 7 Sep 20, 2011 06:06AM
  • Sweet Light
  • Vision
  • Altered
  • Children of the Knight
  • Dark Seeker (Seeker, #1)
  • Immortal Beloved (Knight Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver Knight
  • Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
  • The Search for Artemis (The Chronicles of Landon Wicker, #1)
  • The Confliction (The Dragoneers Saga, #3)
  • The Forbidden Trilogy
  • Bone Dressing (Book 1)
  • Progeny
  • Josephine Lost
  • Operation Oleander
  • Rae of Hope
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • The Apocalypse Gene
Jenna-Lynne Duncan graduated from the University of St. Thomas with degrees in Political Science, International Studies, and Middle Eastern Studies. Hurricane is her debut novel and she is planning a series. She welcomes those to contact her through her website (http://www.Jenna-Lynne.com).
More about Jenna-Lynne Duncan...
Tempest Aftermath (Hurricane, #2) Forever Immortal

“This just didn’t happen to girls like me. This just didn’t happen to anyone.” 18 likes
“Damn. I never should have agreed to this. What is he thinking? Here we are in a piece of crap pickup truck on our way to sit outside of a supermarket to kidnap this girl. Damn. He’d better not be falling for her. Sure she’s cute, but I can’t think about that.” 14 likes