Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival

Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  16 reviews
“One of the most delightful natural history studies in decades.” —The Boston Globe

Eye of the Albatross takes us soaring to locales where whales, sea turtles, penguins, and shearwaters flourish in their own quotidian rhythms. Carl Safina’s guide and inspiration is an albatross he calls Amelia, whose life and far-flung flights he describes in fascinating detail. Interwoven w...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2002)

Rachel
Everything you wanted to know about albatross. Carl Safina's own passion for these amazing creatures infuses the entire book, and the science part reads like a page turner. He brings the reader into the strange and remote world of Northwest Hawaiian Islands conservation work and doesn't let us go until we have seen everything, including the trash on the beach and the albatross chicks dead on their nest because they have too much plastic in their gut. For anyone planning to visit Oahu or Kauai--a...more
Gwyn
This is some of the best nature writing I have ever encountered. Carl Safina explores issues of marine conservation and the history of human use of marine resources by following the travels of a single albatross named Amelia. As she flies across the Pacific, feeding her chick and herself, Safina recounts the ecological atrocities committed by humans in their search for albatross eggs and feathers; examines how modern fishing practices still threaten marine animals and what steps are being taken...more
Jana
Jul 03, 2014 Jana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suzanne
Shelves: favorite-authors
Another interesting journey taken by Carl Safina. The amount of plastic in the ocean and what it is doing to wildlife is distressing at the very least. Safina books are a great combination of the personal, the natural, and the scientific. This one is no exception.
Kenno82
I wasn't taken by this book - perhaps beacause I'm not a bird lover. However, I've always respected Safina's passion and commiment to the sustainability of our oceans and environment. There are moments in this book where the writing is truly poetic, eliciting insights into the links between animals and humans that make you lift your head from the page and pause to think. I'll continue reading Safina's works for these moments. He's also a fantastic speaker/presenter. It's worth Youtubing his work...more
Judy
This is the best natural history book I have read in a long time. Safina is funny, insightful, introspective, informative and well researched. He puts forth some good fodder to chew on. I found myself dog earring and hightlighting all over the place. I would love to have been involved in the research he participated in. I didn't want the book to end. I have an even greater love and appreciation for theses amazing birds and my heart aches for what the greed of humans has put them through. Well do...more
Maral
Great book about what's happening to our seas and oceans because of humanity, the effects to seabirds, and the human aspect to research and the fishing industry. The author writes about field research in such a way that any one can understand why scientists are in the middle of nowhere trying to study and save species.
Suzanne Auckerman
Good natural history of the albatross; but another depressing view of what is happening with the ocean. This is not a new book as it came out in 2003. However, according to Birdlife International, not much has changed. Will have to apply for a trip to Midway Atoll Nat'l Wildlife Refuge.
Michelle
This book surprised me, I thought; how much can you write about an Albatross? Turns out it's great stuff. Full of the author's experiences all over the world with this misunderstood bird, and written in a way that draws you into the story of the plight of the Albatross.
David Ward
Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival by Carl Safina (Holt McDougal 2003)(598.42). This is a very well done look at the health of our oceans and the creatures that depend on the sea for habitat and survival. My rating 7.5, finished 2004.
Adrienne Shea-michiels
This and his other 3 books bring the reader right into the sea with whales, swordfish, salmon and tuna or into the air with seabirds. He's a marine biologist and ecologist with a bent towards compromise and cooperation. He's a great teacher.
Melody
I'm in love with Safina. I want him to write more books, right away. I want to sell all my worldly goods and devote my life to saving birds.

Safina's a delicious prose stylist with a clear, burning passion for animals. Highly recommended.
Michelle
Much easier to get into than song of the blue ocean. I enjoyed the layout of the book, always returning to the tagged albatross after exploring issues surrounding their conservation and challenges these species face.
Matthew
A delightful mixture of science, personal experience, and fictionalized account of an albatrosses adventures as scientists track it across the Pacific.
Clarry
Incredibly well researched! A must for people who enjoy nature writing and learning more about the struggles of the ocean's wildlife.
Talia
By far, the best story about life on these islands that I've read since we moved to Hawaii four years ago. Period. Please read it!
Had some beautiful moments, especially if you are into nature, but I found it to be too wordy and not enough to the point.
Lisa
Excellent! Engaging story about albatrosses, se turtles, researchers, sharks & the fishing industry among others.
Steph
It is not too late; however the clock is ticking very loudly.
Jennifer Smolek
Jennifer Smolek marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kristina Chu
Kristina Chu marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Laura Gurrieri
Laura Gurrieri marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Angie
Angie added it
Jun 22, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Carl Safina is president and co-founder of Blue Ocean Institute, and author of several writings on marine ecology and the ocean, including the award winning "Song for the Blue Ocean"(1998) and "Eye of the Albatros" (2002).

Carl Safina's childhood by the sea led him into scientific studies of seabirds and fish, and to his doctorate in Ecology from Rutgers University.
During his research and recreatio...more
More about Carl Safina...
Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World's Coasts and Beneath the Seas Voyage of the Turtle: In Pursuit of the Earth's Last Dinosaur The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World A Sea in Flames: The Deepwater Horizon Oil Blowout Nina Delmar: The Great Whale Rescue