Start by marking “Caitlin: Life with Dylan Thomas” as Want to Read:
Caitlin: Life with Dylan Thomas

Caitlin: Life with Dylan Thomas

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Published March 1st 1987 by Henry Holt & Company (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Caitlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caitlin

ErinH
Feb 14, 2010 ErinH rated it really liked it
Read this book over 20 years ago. I'm hoping to travel to Wales in the fall so I decided to reread this book about the wife of its most famous poet. I have always been interested in the wives of creative people, especially in the early part of the 20th century. Their lives were not easy. This is basically written as Caitlin spoke. I found it fascinating, if not for what these women put up with, but also what she dished out.
Finn Oliebollen
May 01, 2012 Finn Oliebollen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of DT
I was eager to read about the “raw, bleeding meat” of a relationship between one of my favorite poets and the love of his life (or twin soul) Caitlin. When he described his relationship as raw and bleeding, I thought lusty/passionate/intense when I really should have took it in a more literal way...his wife would honestly beat the piss out of him. He would whimper, cry and then crawl into bed which was the “time out” zone for quiet and milk with salted bread.

It took me about a hundred pages to
Mary
Jan 31, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
This is an interesting read for anyone 1) familiar with Dylan Thomas' work and 2) fascinated by the bohemian/drunken lifestyle of artists and authors in London in the 40s and 50s.
Ania
Jul 23, 2015 Ania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me want to drink-in a melancholy and determined way, it made me want to read more dylan thomas, it made me want to never marry young, to never watch someone change away from me, never try and keep hold on someone or ever believe that people change. I like her complete commitment to the truth throughout-she does not shield either her or him from critiscism. I related to a lot of it, in that sickening way.
Chris Walker
Nov 21, 2014 Chris Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago. Still remember vividly scenes in it where Dylan and Caitlin would leave their children alone in their house to go down the pub drinking till closing time every evening and the stew on the stove which would be continuously cooking for days (with the green skimmed off the top from time to time).
Michael Poor
Dec 28, 2012 Michael Poor rated it really liked it
What could be more enticing than the explosive amalgamation of genius, debauchery, and marriage? Fascinating and tragic. You'll get a hangover just from reading it.
Linda
Sep 01, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dylan Thomas's widow's autobiography is raw, and unsparing.
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Dan
Dan added it
Jun 01, 2016
Katie Doherty
Katie Doherty rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Mel Meager
Mel Meager rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Lee
Lee added it
Mar 18, 2016
Laurie Byro
Laurie Byro rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Katelin
Katelin marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Stephen Bywater
Stephen Bywater rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Shayla Heflin
Shayla Heflin marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Sulime
Sulime rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Haydyn Williams
Haydyn Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Karen Bain
Karen Bain rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Kevin Findlay
Kevin Findlay rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Kath
Kath added it
Sep 28, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Ainsley
Ainsley rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Glynis
Glynis marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Pamela Collins
Pamela Collins marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015