Oh, What a Christmas!

Oh, What a Christmas!

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Join Santa's wild ride in this soon-to-be Christmas classic!

When the harness to Santa's sleigh breaks mid-flight, Dasher, Dancer, and the rest of the reindeer gang fly off into the night...leaving Santa and all of his presents stranded!

Who will guide Santa's sleigh and save Christmas now?

Luckily, Santa lands by a tiny barn filled with sleepy animals. With a twinkle in hi...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, What a Christmas!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, What a Christmas!

Danielle
Christmas Eve is here! Santa’s sled is loaded with goodies and gifts for children around the world, but when the reins connecting his flying reindeer snap Santa is going to need some extra help. Fortunately for Santa he lands in a barn full of animals ready for a Christmas adventure in the skies! Before you know it the presents are delivered and there’s a special surprise for Santa’s newest helpers.

This is purely a fun enjoyable Christmas read for little ones and those reading it to them. Both L...more
Melissa Squire
It's Christmas Eve and Santa's sleigh is full of presents and the reindeer are harnessed, ready to help deliver them. Then, all of a sudden in mid-flight, the reins snap, the reindeer fly away and Santa's sleigh turns into a 'BIG, FAT, JOLLY RED ROCKET' as it falls to earth. Fortunately, Santa is not hurt and he lands near a barn full of farm animals. With no reindeer to pull his sleigh, Santa must rely on his new farmyard friends for help to deliver all the presents.

This is a sweet story that p...more
babyhippoface
It's Christmas Eve, and Santa's harness is a little too worn out--it snaps, sending the reindeer one way and the sleigh another. Having landed in a barnyard, Santa decides to hitch the farm animals to his sleigh and make his annual deliveries with them as substitute reindeer.

Although there is plenty of imagery, alliteration, and onomatopoeia to keep things moving, the story lacks creativity. The problematic possibilities of cows, pigs, sheep, a goat, a horse, and a dog pulling Santa's sleigh ar...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Mary
Author/Illustrator: Michael Garland
Genre: Fantasy
Interest Level: K-2
Grade level Equivalent: 2.5
Lexile Measure®: 620L

This story is about Santa Claus on the night of Christmas and how harness breaks from the reindeer and he crashes. He crashes into a barn and sees all the barnyard animals. He ensues their help, and they become his new team. They travel all around the world delivering all the presents. This is a good read aloud and the pictures bring the reader in. This story teaches t...more
Mary
The harness on Santa's sleigh breaks and his reindeer continue to fly while Santa and his sleigh plummet to Earth. Luckily they land in a field near a barn. Santa convinces the farm animals to fly his sleigh and off they go to continue the special night. A cute concept, but I am not a fan of digital illustration and did not really care for the pictures. The text was not strong enough to make it a favorite either, but it was worth reading once.
Steven R. McEvoy
An interesting tale about a Christmas Eve like no other. Santa and the reindeer get separated and after a crash, Santa and some barn animals have an adventure to last. The illustrations are breathtaking - so vibrant and real. It is a fun story that children will laugh at and want to read over.

Read the review on my blog Book Reviews and More.
Tracy Morton
I loved this book! The children think it is hilarious that Santa has to hook farm animals up to his sleigh after the reindeer get loose. For added fun I had Santa at one of my storytimes and he told the kids that this has happened to him in Africa. Prancer and Vixen got away and flew home and he had to hook up two antelopes to his sleigh. Cute story.
Celena
What a fun ride. I love books that reimagine Santa delivering Christmas presents and little kids do too. The pictures are lovely and include the little details children love; like the expressions on the animals faces and watch out for the sleepy dog. A great book to get children involved in the sounds of the sleigh and the animals.
Trish
Nov 19, 2013 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Fiction; Juvenile/Christmas
4 stars

We try to pick up a few new books every year to add to our Christmas book collection and this is definitely one to consider. The cute story and adorable images blend together flawlessly to create this great little book. My daughter and I really liked this one a lot.
Tatiana
Jun 29, 2011 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tatiana by: Scholastic
An okay alternative Christmas tale, mostly appealing to children who are fans of Michael Garland's previous books. The artwork is the standout star, with beautiful depictions of barnyard animals that sub in for the wayward reindeer. For readers of Christmas picture books.
Tiffany
The art work is vibrant and adorable. The story is cute as well! We thoroughly enjoyed this new tale and was surprised I haven't read anything like this before.
Heather
Cute and silly but in the end not really a must have for the season. The illustrations are ok but have that computer made appearance and I really prefer hand drawn art.
Eloise
A fun book for younger children about what happens when Santa loses his reindeer and is forced to substitute. Read by Mrs. Santa at PGCL.
ReadingWench
This would make a great read-a-loud Christmas story. 3.5/5 Stars

AR 2.8
Teri
FUN Christmas story with great illustrations! My kids thought really liked it.
Elizabeth S
Awesome story. Santa has a great solution to a real problem!
Susan Erhardt
Gorgeous illustrations, so-so story.
Michelle
Nice story, bad art
M
M added it
Aug 12, 2014
Angela Freeman
Angela Freeman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 08, 2014
Belle
Belle added it
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook (Picture Puffin Books) Miss Smith and the Haunted Library Miss Smith Under the Ocean Miss Smith Reads Again! Fish had a Wish (I Like to Read)