Start by marking “Oh, What a Christmas!” as Want to Read:
Oh, What a Christmas!

Oh, What a Christmas!

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Join Santa's wild ride in this soon-to-be Christmas classic!

When the harness to Santa's sleigh breaks mid-flight, Dasher, Dancer, and the rest of the reindeer gang fly off into the night...leaving Santa and all of his presents stranded!

Who will guide Santa's sleigh and save Christmas now?

Luckily, Santa lands by a tiny barn filled with sleepy animals. With a twinkle in hi
Published September 1st 2011 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, What a Christmas!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, What a Christmas!

Melissa Dwyer
Nov 10, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it really liked it
Originally rated G+ by Melissa Dwyer
Publishers Weekly
When Santa’s reindeer harness rips, the reindeer head skyward and his sleigh crashes into a barn. Discovered by inquisitive, slightly bug-eyed farm animals, Santa hatches a plan: “Now, Sheep! Now, Goat! Now, Piggy and Cows! On, Horsey! On Doggie! Oh, what a Christmas flight we have now!” After Santa and his menagerie deliver the presents, he’s reunited with the reindeer, but he leaves a special surprise for his tired new friends. Garland’s coy
Danielle
Jan 01, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
Christmas Eve is here! Santa’s sled is loaded with goodies and gifts for children around the world, but when the reins connecting his flying reindeer snap Santa is going to need some extra help. Fortunately for Santa he lands in a barn full of animals ready for a Christmas adventure in the skies! Before you know it the presents are delivered and there’s a special surprise for Santa’s newest helpers.

This is purely a fun enjoyable Christmas read for little ones and those reading it to them. Both L
Jen
Dec 19, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
This is the cute tale of Santa and his unlikely cast of characters, the farm animals. After the harness to his sleigh breaks and the reindeer take off, Santa crashes into a barn and has the dilemma of delivering the rest of those presents all over the world. This story is one that my elementary students really enjoy.
Lynne
Oh, What a Christmas! is a fun book that will have the little ones giggling. Santa and the reindeer come apart as they are flying on Christmas Eve, and Santa ends up crash landing just outside of a barn. The farm animals offer to help him out. Cute story and great pictures.
babyhippoface
It's Christmas Eve, and Santa's harness is a little too worn out--it snaps, sending the reindeer one way and the sleigh another. Having landed in a barnyard, Santa decides to hitch the farm animals to his sleigh and make his annual deliveries with them as substitute reindeer.

Although there is plenty of imagery, alliteration, and onomatopoeia to keep things moving, the story lacks creativity. The problematic possibilities of cows, pigs, sheep, a goat, a horse, and a dog pulling Santa's sleigh ar
Kim Hampton
I loved the illustrations and the author used plenty of action words (thud, stomp, thwack) to keep kids entertained and engaged with the story.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Mary
Author/Illustrator: Michael Garland
Genre: Fantasy
Interest Level: K-2
Grade level Equivalent: 2.5
Lexile Measure: 620L

This story is about Santa Claus on the night of Christmas and how harness breaks from the reindeer and he crashes. He crashes into a barn and sees all the barnyard animals. He ensues their help, and they become his new team. They travel all around the world delivering all the presents. This is a good read aloud and the pictures bring the reader in. This story teaches th
Ryan
Nov 07, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Tooooooo Cute!
Mary
Dec 28, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok
The harness on Santa's sleigh breaks and his reindeer continue to fly while Santa and his sleigh plummet to Earth. Luckily they land in a field near a barn. Santa convinces the farm animals to fly his sleigh and off they go to continue the special night. A cute concept, but I am not a fan of digital illustration and did not really care for the pictures. The text was not strong enough to make it a favorite either, but it was worth reading once.
Steven R. McEvoy
Jan 04, 2013 Steven R. McEvoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
An interesting tale about a Christmas Eve like no other. Santa and the reindeer get separated and after a crash, Santa and some barn animals have an adventure to last. The illustrations are breathtaking - so vibrant and real. It is a fun story that children will laugh at and want to read over.

Read the review on my blog Book Reviews and More.
Tracy Morton
Dec 14, 2012 Tracy Morton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book! The children think it is hilarious that Santa has to hook farm animals up to his sleigh after the reindeer get loose. For added fun I had Santa at one of my storytimes and he told the kids that this has happened to him in Africa. Prancer and Vixen got away and flew home and he had to hook up two antelopes to his sleigh. Cute story.
Celena
Feb 27, 2012 Celena rated it liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
What a fun ride. I love books that reimagine Santa delivering Christmas presents and little kids do too. The pictures are lovely and include the little details children love; like the expressions on the animals faces and watch out for the sleepy dog. A great book to get children involved in the sounds of the sleigh and the animals.
Trish
Nov 19, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it
Fiction; Juvenile/Christmas
4 stars

We try to pick up a few new books every year to add to our Christmas book collection and this is definitely one to consider. The cute story and adorable images blend together flawlessly to create this great little book. My daughter and I really liked this one a lot.
Tatiana
Jun 29, 2011 Tatiana rated it liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Scholastic
An okay alternative Christmas tale, mostly appealing to children who are fans of Michael Garland's previous books. The artwork is the standout star, with beautiful depictions of barnyard animals that sub in for the wayward reindeer. For readers of Christmas picture books.
Tiffany
Oct 10, 2011 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
The art work is vibrant and adorable. The story is cute as well! We thoroughly enjoyed this new tale and was surprised I haven't read anything like this before.
Heather
Dec 08, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Cute and silly but in the end not really a must have for the season. The illustrations are ok but have that computer made appearance and I really prefer hand drawn art.
Eloise
Nov 30, 2011 Eloise rated it liked it
A fun book for younger children about what happens when Santa loses his reindeer and is forced to substitute. Read by Mrs. Santa at PGCL.
ReadingWench
This would make a great read-a-loud Christmas story. 3.5/5 Stars

AR 2.8
Teri
Dec 26, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
FUN Christmas story with great illustrations! My kids thought really liked it.
Elizabeth S
Dec 11, 2012 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Awesome story. Santa has a great solution to a real problem!
Susan Erhardt
Gorgeous illustrations, so-so story.
Edward Sullivan
Brandon
Jan 05, 2012 Brandon rated it it was ok
ok...
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
JulietB
JulietB marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Susan Ungham
Susan Ungham rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016