Start by marking “Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)

Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  58 reviews
When an anonymous food critic blasts several local restaurants- including Aunt Pat's-Lulu Taylor and her customers are biting mad, especially when they learn that Eppie Currian is the pen name of their friend Evelyn's cheating boyfriend. When "Eppie" gets his own fatal review, the list of suspects is longer than the list of specials at the best BBQ place in Memphis.

Published (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Finger Lickin' Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finger Lickin' Dead

Vickie
Cozy mystery with BBQ restaurant owner as the amateur sleuth....YUM! Second in the series I've read and glad to come back to visit. I love that the main character is an older woman and she has a business that she runs with family and friends. Nothing is neglected because of Lulu's sleuthing. That can be a bothersome issue with me if the main character has a business or kids or whatever and those fall back to the back burner. That doesn't happen here.
And the sleuthing is fairly natural in occurr
Fred
THis is the second in Memphis BBQ Mystery series by Riley Adams.

Lulu Taylor oversees the running of Aunt Pat's. There is alwaya a good crowd at Aunt Pat's to enjoy the great BBQ and assorted side dishes.

The story starts with Aunt Pat's getting a less than favorable write up in a local paper from mystery food critic Eppie Currian. (I love that name) Before long it is learned that Eppie is none other than the cheating boyfriend of Lulu's friend and frequent customer, Evelyn. Evelyn has previously
LORI CASWELL
A Berkley Prime Mystery
A Division of Penguin Publishing
A Memphis BBQ Mystery
Second in the Series
ISBN-10: 0425241912
ISBN-13: 978-0425241912

An anonymous food critic is blasting the local Memphis restaurants with horrible reviews, some restaurants have even gone out of business because of the scathing remarks. Aunt Pat's BBQ has not even avoided the wrath of this critic who hides behind the name Eppie Curian (one with fine taste).

When the true identity of the critic is revealed to be Evelyn's cheat
Aurian Booklover
It was fun and really nice to visit Aunt Pat’s in Memphis again. To catch up with her family and friends, join them while eating the best barbeque in town, and catching a killer. It felt like I read the previous book yesterday instead of weeks ago. I so want to visit Memphis and eat some of the dishes described in this book. And if you love to cook, there are some awesome and short recipes in the back of it.

The mystery was very well written, there were so many suspects, and the one I suspected,
Melodie
This one just did not do it for me. I'm going to blame my mood and not the book itself. Story was not bad and the writing was good. Characters just got on my last nerve. Like I said....lousy mood! I really need this holiday weekend coming up!
Mason
Aunt Pat’s Barbecue Restaurant in the heart of Memphis (Tenn.) feels a bit of a hit when an anonymous food critic gives it a bad review. Famous for its ribs and spicy cornbread, Aunt Pat’s takes the bad press much better than another restaurant that closes its doors after a bad review.

Lulu Taylor, owner of Aunt Pat’s, is more worried about one of her close friends and loyal customers, Evelyn. It seems Evelyn is blinded by the love of her former husband who has cheating ways and always looking fo
Melissa
Ok, so foodie mysteries are pretty awesome. And despite the fact that I was barely into the book and already knew who was going to die and who killed them, I actually still enjoyed this book. Having read the first one, it was kind of nice to return to these characters too. But don't worry, you don't have to read the first book in order to enjoy the second.

Lulu is up to her investigating ways again. The owner of Pat's BBQ Lulu always seems to find herself in some sort of mystery. This time, one o
Debbie
"Finger Lickin' Dead" is a humorous cozy mystery. It's the second in a series, but you can follow this story without having read the first novel, and this novel didn't spoil the mystery in the first one.

The characters were varied, quirky, and engaging. Lulu was an elderly lady with many friends. She listened to their gossip about who saw who with whom and who argued with whom and so forth, leading her to figure out whodunit. (It reminded me a little of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple.) While I did
Lisa
Review contains spoilers:

The second visit to "Aunt Pat's" was even more exciting than the first. Riley Adams writes so descriptively that I feel like I can inhale the pages and smell the BBQ. Which causes distraction when I look around my Western (not Southern or even Midwest) surroundings and realize there is no excellent BBQ here. And I was raised in Kansas, lived in Alabama so I know good BBQ.

So after a trip to the store I settle back down with a cole slaw covered BBQ sandwich to read and am
Lori Henrich
Lulu is at it again in the 2nd installment of the Memphis BBQ mystery series.

There is an new food critic working for the paper and she/he is not setting well on the palettes of the people in town. When the critic is unmasked it is discovered that it is Evelyn's new/old love interest Alan. When Alan turns up dead the list of suspects become quite lengthy as most people he came in contact with hated him. Lulu is afraid that Evelyn might be arrested for the crime, since she just found out Alan was
Carol
This is a wonderful food cozy. Your mouth will be watering for cornbread and barbeque as soon as you read the first chapter. The story is fun with twists and turns and the food will make you want to go to Tennessee to check out their eating places. I haven't read the first one in the series but have out it on my "to buy list" already.

The murder victim is an anonymous food critic who writes scalding reviews. The main place for a gathering of friends in this book is Lulu's 'Aunt Pat's Barbeque, r
Cate
I had not read the first book in this series, this was just a last minute find when Border's was selling off everything. I must say, I am extremely happy I grabbed this! Not many authors can blend excitement and mystery with southern comforts and delicious foods!

The characters are all very charming and realistic--it's not too hard to imagine a group of eccentric, older southern belles gossiping over the local romances and crimes! The Memphis barbecue setting isn't one we normally see in murder-m
Jesse Christiansen
With quirky, irresistible characters and deeply clever narrative that magically transmutes the reader into a detective, "Finger Lickin' Dead" will have you craving far more than Memphis barbecue; you'll be salivating until you can get your fingers on her next literary feast.

Her clever recipe:

1 Cup - Do not give away anything the reader can solve him or herself. Let
readers investigate vicariously through all the characters.

2 Cups - Write characters that are memorable, genuine, and adorable.

1 TB -
Angela
Once again Aunt Pat's BBQ restaurant is under a critical eye, this time by an anonymous food critic. Soon there is nothing but bad reviews flying around town and Lulu and her family are not happy one bit about it. They get even more spitting mad when they find out who the "anonymous" critic is...a no good cheating boyfriend of Evelyn's. Soon this same man they were all spitting mad at is found dead and once again suspicion clouds the air of Aunt Pat's. Sure, he wasn't liked, but who would hate h ...more
Amelia-Irene
I like this Memphis BBQ series as instead of some of the others as the principles are late middle aged - seniors instead of spring chickens. The BBQ was started by Aunt Lulu's aunt, and Aunt Lulu was raised there as was her son and now her granddaughters. It is a well established tradition in their town, so imagine their surprise and anger when the local food critic trashes their food in the local paper. This critic has done more damage since he took over the column than the previous critic had ...more
Jess
I was actually surprised at how much I liked this book. I have to admit, I was really apprehensive about reading it since I didn't really like the first book in the series. I felt this time around the gang at Aunt Pat's made me feel welcome and had more of a "family" feel to the mystery versus the cheesy and cliche feeling I got from the previous book. I liked the plot, I liked the characters, I even liked the side romance between Lulu's grandson Derrick and Peggy Sue's granddaughter Peaches. Th ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book is a nice read. Very gentle, in that, the characters are truly Southern gentleness. They dress as regular folks, have their social groups, the food they love is a tradition in the South, and the read is just a gentle flow.

The murder was predictable, in that, you realized from the beginning the victim. The author also made it easy to dislike the victim. I was sad about the secrets in the town, but, again they were predictable weaknesses, in my opinion.

The food is mentioned so often, I a
Amanda
Lulu is so much fun! She is a kick-a** grandma.

There was so much going on in this novel that it made my head spin and kept me on my toes. So many suspects with such a wide variety of motives, I don't know how Lulu manages to keep it all straight without writing all the information down.

Little Ella Beth is going to be a great detective one day, perhaps she will even become a crime scene analyst or a federal agent... She definitely has the potential.

I am really glad that Derrick seems to be openin
Amanda
There was so much going on in this novel that it made my head spin a little, and certainly kept me on my toes. So many suspects with such a wide variety of motives, I don't know how Lulu manages to keep it all straight without writing all the information down.

I am really glad that Derrick seems to be opening up more and really coming
Kaye
Aunt Pat's Barbeque restaurant, named after Lulu Taylor's great aunt, is in the heart of Memphis. When a restaurant named Eppie Currian blasts several restaurants, including Aunt Pat's, people are steamed, especially one owner who had to close his doors. When Lulu and the Graces find out that Eppie is really Adam Cawthorne who is dating their friend Evelyn, they are all really angry. They already thought Adam was a dead beat boyfriend. When Adam gets murdered, things go from bad to worse. Lulu j ...more
Susan
Adam Cawthorn is just no good. He's chasing his ex-wife, wealthy, impulsive Evelyn, while not yet divorced from his current wife, and even kindly Lulu, the elderly owner of Aunt Pat's barbecue restaurant, can't find much good to say about him. And that's before people learn his secret--revealed on the back cover of the edition I read--that he's the pseudonymous restaurant critic who has attacked Aunt Pat's, closed at least one other local restaurant, and taken the previous restaurant critic's jo ...more
Pat Amsden
I really liked this book.

Set in Memphis, it's part of the Memphis BBQ series and I'll definitely be getting more books from this same author. It's got great characters, a great setting and it keeps you guessing until the end even though the murderer is a character in the book you see and see as a possible suspect pretty well from the start. You just don't know until the end.

I loved Lulu and the whole crew of Aunt Pat's BBQ restaurant and I'll probably be trying out some of the recipes as a side
Paula Ratcliffe
I love this series, this one follows Lulu and her gang of friends who are up to their eyes in murder. When a local food critique is found dead by little Ella Beth it is up to Lulu to figure out what is going on. There is a long list of suspects including his current wife, his ex-wife, an ex food critique, the Aunt Pat's chef Lulu's son Ben. But all fingers point nowhere in particular. Even with a big list of suspects it takes down to the last minute to solve this crime. I loved reading about the ...more
Sandybear76
Lulu and her friends, the Graces, are at it again. This time their friend Evelyn is dating her ex-husband Adam but they find out that he is dating other women, using the money he mooches off Evelyn. His secret job with the newspaper is revealed too, making several people about the restaurant reviews he writes. Adam is dead by the river by Lulu's granddaughter. Throw in a big-wig wedding at Graceland with Lulu's BBQ, her friends' blues band, and the Graces' new talent of floral wedding arrangemen ...more
Diane  Morasco
Riley Adams is the literary heir apparent to Lucille Ball. Period!

Trust me, Adams isn’t just hashing out a “mystery with recipes on the side” or a “culinary” cozy littered with the same ole shriveled plots rinsed, recycled and reiterated ad infinitum. Listen to me, Adams is the fresh voice when it comes to food, murder, family and laughter. Authentic laughter that resonates deep in your core and brings the joyous tears to your eyes.

All the juicy good stuff is captured within 272 pages of Adams
Moira
It was fun to go back to Memphis for some great BBQ. I really enjoy the cast of characters in this series and a couple of new additions in this second book are very promising. I am anxious to see how they develop in later books. The plot was cleverly constructed and pointed us in many different directions; and although I did figure out "whodunit", it was quite a ways in the book before I did. It did not detract from my enjoyment. The last couple of pages painted quite a humorous picture. A great ...more
Jeff Beesler
The second installment in the Memphis BBQ Mystery line of cozy mysteries, Finger Lickin' Dead grabs you from the first word out and refuses to let go of you until the end. This is very easily a novel that can be read in a day or two. It just carries that power of captivation. this reader has definitely walked away from Aunt Pat's BBQ feeling full, yet hungrily awaiting for thirds, too. I most certainly recommend it to mystery readers, or for anyone who just wants to read a great story.
Tina
I purchased this book when Borders was going out of business. I used their going out of business sale to look for some new authors. In particular I was looking for a new series to get into. While this book is part of a series, I didn't find the characters interesting enough to seek out the other books in the series. That being said, if I happen to run across another book in the series at the library or somewhere, I wouldn't just pass it by, I'd probably check it out and read it.
Kristin Backus
Too many typos. They distracted from the story! Over all an okay book but I dont know if I am going read anymore from this series...
  • Harrowing Hats
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams writes the Memphis Barbeque series for Penguin/Berkley (as Riley Adams), the Southern Quilting mysteries for Penguin/Signet, and the Myrtle Clover series for Midnight Ink. She blogs at Mystery Writing is Murder, which was named by Writer’s Digest as one of the 101 Best Websites for Writers for 2010-2013.

Riley’s latest book is Rubbed Out: book four of the Memphis B
More about Riley Adams...

A Memphis BBQ Mystery (4 books)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • Rubbed Out (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #4)
Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1) Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3) Rubbed Out (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #4)