Start by marking “The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)

The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords #1)

Sarah Wellingford would Do Her Duty -- even if that meant putting herself on the Marriage Mart during a London season she could ill afford.

Now ironic circumstance had wed her to the compelling Marquess of Englemere, a fabled gamester, who had awakened passions she was honor-bound not to express.

A marriage of convenience could be deucedly inconvenient -- even for a marquess
Paperback, Harlequin Historicals #464
Published June 1999 by Harlequin Books (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Gamble

Stacy-Deanne
Nov 07, 2010 Stacy-Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that quickly grew on me. At first it was hard for me to catch onto the writing style of Ms. Justiss but after I did I began to really enjoy the story. I liked all the characters. The author catches the historic banter and time of the story very well and I often wondered where she learned some of those classic words and made them fit in so realistically.

The plot was simple. Sarah marries Nicholas for financial reasons. Even though the marriage isn't a love match, it's easy to tell
willaful
This convenient marriage romance had many good qualities. Both parties did their best to avoid being unreasonable or cause misunderstandings. The conflicts between them were mostly real -- she had a former lover she still loved, he had a mistress he hadn't yet broken with. (Though he stopped sleeping with her, so there's no actual cheating.) It was just too episodic a story for my tastes. Be warned that it gets very heavy in places.
Lyuda
Julia Justiss is a new author for me and it looks like the story was her debut novel. Hopefully, she's improved since then. I love MOC stories but I found this particular storytelling tedious, the characters had little chemistry and behaved pretty dumb for supposedly smart people. And I despise when the story is propelled either by big misunderstanding that could easily be resolved by communication or when the plot rely on odious villain. In this case we have both.
Mary Craven
Sep 16, 2015 Mary Craven rated it it was amazing
What can I say, it just was a perfect Regency read. Issues with the need to marry and save a family from ruin. I handsome hero. A kind and loving heroine. Intrigue, questions of trust and best of all, love. Oh and I stumbled upon this series by reading book 2 first, made reading book one a bit more fun, knowing their future.
Dancer
Oct 17, 2010 Dancer rated it really liked it
The one thing of which a reader must be aware when chosing a Harlequin title is the word count. Because of this factor, the ending is sometimes rushed. That is true in this novel, although I enjoyed the character development of both Nicholas Stanhope and Sarah Wallingford.
Linda
Nov 06, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Regency romance, a bit too much heart break for me, two people who just won´t communicate and therefore suffer a lot, until the last two pages. Didn´t really connect with me, i prefer a little more fluff. Or maybe i´m just having an off day =). Slow middle in the book, didn´t pick up until the end and i nearly didn´t finish it. Sorry to say.
Lady Wesley
Jun 24, 2013 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev
I've never read Julia Justiss before, but I quite enjoyed this clever marriage of convenience story. In addition to the usual, it's got a bit of a love triangle and an odious villain. Quite entertaining.
Cherise
Reread. I do adore this one, especially with such an honest and unabashed H.

Conventional marriage of convenience theme, but with both starting out with a warm friendship. Both have another lurking somewhere, but ended up together. Initially it is because the h is truly desperate and H feels protective of her, but as they spend time together, it grows into a deep abiding love that may not be violently passionate, but strong and enduring all the same.

The H started out admiring the h but ended up
Apr 29, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about a marriage of convenience. Sarah and Nick (leading characters) are forced to marry, Sarah because of her fathers Gambling Debt's are about to be called in and leave her and her siblings homeless; and Nick who has promised to marry by the end of the season sweeps in and saves the day and Sarah from an abusive would be suitor/husband after his own engagement is called off with Sarah's friend. While there are no grand adventures or a grand mystery that must be solved, the ...more
Lisamarie
Dec 14, 2012 Lisamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
I was quite surprised at the plot for this book. Sarah was such a good heroine. Nicholas was a little weaker. I was truly surprised with Sarah's ex - it's not usual for a woman who was self described as not pretty having three men pursue her. It was a good story and I recommend it to anyone wanting a good story. I did cry in some parts because I got involved with Sarah's feelings, but it was a very emotional time for her. It drew me in and kept me interested.
Hannah G.
Nov 04, 2015 Hannah G. rated it liked it
this started off as a 4, or at least a very strong 3.5, for me purely for sarah and nicholas' interactions. i really liked how we see them actually forge a friendship before the idea of marrying each other for convenience is even brought up! where it lost is me that it dragged on far too long for my liking and the misunderstandings that were dragged out could have been easily fixed if they would have just TALKED TO EACH OTHER LIKE ADULTS.
Dana
May 04, 2009 Dana rated it it was ok
I’m not a fan of marriage of convenience stories. Most of the time I completely loose interest in the romance after the couple marries and that was the case with this book. I liked the banter between the couple but I almost felt that they worked better as friends. I just wasn’t feeling the romance here. Fortunately, there was enough going on with the plot and side characters that I still found this book entertaining even though I didn’t like the romance.
Brittany
Sep 23, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals, erotic
I came across this by accident and I loved it. I had not read a historical in awhile and was glad that this was not a disappointment. It was fun and heart warming and there was not one thing I did not love about it. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.
Pam
Nov 28, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: romances
Historical romance with a twist. Sarah Wallingford was compelled to marry Nicholas Stanhope, the Marquess of Englemere, in order to save her family from financial ruin. Sarah finds herelf in love with Nicholas -- too bad that he doesn't want a wife who loves him.
Susannah Carleton
Oct 08, 2014 Susannah Carleton rated it liked it
A marriage of convenience becomes a love match, despite several obstacles. The characters are well drawn, and the villain nasty as can be.
Highland-dreamer
Jul 01, 2011 Highland-dreamer rated it really liked it
I don't think the description does this book justice. I thought it was well-written and entertaining.
Suvi
Suvi rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Dorothée
Dorothée rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Jeni
Jeni rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Morgen Stamate
Morgen Stamate rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
NANCY BENDER
NANCY BENDER rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Hilda Rojas
Hilda Rojas rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Lexy Harper
Lexy Harper rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2009
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
  • The Shy Duchess
  • Beguiled
  • My Lord Protector
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • Southern Rapture
  • Sold and Seduced
  • His Secret Duchess
  • Not So Innocent
  • Honor
  • De Buty & The Beast (Faerie Tale Romance)
  • Bedded by the Warrior
  • The Unintended Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #3)
Julia Justiss grew up breathing the scent of sea air near the colonial town of Annapolis, Maryland, a fact responsible for two of her life-long passions: sailors and history! By age twelve she was a junior tour guide for Historic Annapolis, conducting visitors on walking tours through the city that was a hotbed of revolutionary fervor. (Annapolis hosted its own tea party, dispensing with the cargo ...more
More about Julia Justiss...

Wellingfords (5 books)
  • The Proper Wife (Wellingfords, #2)
  • A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3)
  • From Waif to Gentleman's Wife (Wellingfords, #4)
  • Society's Most Disreputable Gentleman (Wellingfords, #5)