Start by marking “In the Dolphin's Wake: Cocktails, Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands” as Want to Read:
In the Dolphin's Wake: Cocktails, Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands

In the Dolphin's Wake: Cocktails, Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands

Anamusing and erudite account of Harry Bucknall's 183-dayjourney through the Greek islands from Venice, in the West, to Istanbul, in the East

In the summer of 2006, Harry Bucknall traveled from Venice to Istanbul—a journey across the Aegean ofmore than5,500 miles that included the glories of Mount Athos, 36 islands, and every island chain in the Greek Archipelago. It also i
Published February 1st 2012 by Bene Factum Publishing (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dolphin's Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dolphin's Wake

John
Jul 09, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, audiobook, audible
Had I read the print book, I might've come away thinking it "not bad" probably, though somewhat slight. The audio production, however, is a mess. I had an inkling of that from the sample, but figured, "Well, I really like travel narratives, so how bad can it be?" Bad enough.
To start, there was obviously no editing whatsoever - on occasion, Bucknall starts a sentence, loses his track, and then just ... tries again, like hearing an echo. Secondarily, he gives Americans rather cartoonish accents -
Charlesgreen00
A good travelogue of the islands, although I thought some island chains were skirted over quickly, like the Sporades. I would have also liked a better intro, as to why the author was undertaking the journey and what his plan was.

When it wrapped I'd warmed to the book much more, especially for the insights into certain islands like Chios and into Mt Athos.
Roger Neilson
Aug 15, 2011 Roger Neilson rated it it was ok
I struggled to finish this one. There are some nice descriptions in there, and some pleasant moments but its very 'bitty' and could have done with some overall narrative. Disappointing.
Sam Ann
Nov 11, 2016 Sam Ann rated it it was amazing
I actually cannot remember how many times I have read this book. It is my go to when I need something to read or listen to as I fall asleep, I have it on audible, a digital version, and am hanging out for a physical copy. I love Greece, and I love reading, this book is easily one of my favourite books I've ever read.
Ernie Apostolos
Jun 08, 2012 Ernie Apostolos rated it really liked it

There are many books written by travellers to the Greek Islands and as this one was subtitled “Cocktails Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands”, I assumed that this would be another patronisingly written tome in the just relate lots of situations in which the Greeks and their customs appear eccentric, stupid, lazy and they lack the Western European skills in organisation and timekeeping, style. However what made Bucknall’s account more interesting for me, was the economical way in which he
Natalie Hinman
Feb 27, 2014 Natalie Hinman rated it really liked it
What glorious escape! I absolutely romped through it, albeit conversely didn't want it to end, for I was so enjoying basking in the warmth of the Greek Islands, alongside Harry.
I wished myself there for so much of his journey... And anyone that is familiar with Greece will recognise parallels with characters and experiences, I'm sure!
There is a lot to enjoy as he provides a taster of all the island groups. It is rare to find a decent modern travelogue which includes a tour of all the islands (s
Marjory McGinn
Mar 10, 2014 Marjory McGinn rated it it was amazing
Harry Bucknall's odyssey around the Greek islands is incredibly entertaining, informative and full of fun. With a lightness of touch, he has brought to life many lesser known islands, local characters and made the often-complex history of Greece very readable. His trip to the 'men-only' monasteries of Mount Athos, that few people ever attempt, is magical indeed. This is a wonderful read!
Paula Curtis
Jan 06, 2012 Paula Curtis rated it really liked it
enjoyable wander through some of the islands that we have visited. Amused in that most of the characters mentioned we have seen or met whilest traveling around Greece are all there in black and white. The Greek characters are the most funny, sad, compelling and friendly people you could met as long as you've willing to pay.
Simon
Nov 11, 2011 Simon rated it it was amazing
Charming, engaging and informative. A must read for anyone who has visited or plans to travel to the Greek Islands
Ekaterina Botziou
Aug 16, 2013 Ekaterina Botziou rated it really liked it
A highly informative, beautifully descriptive account of Harry Bucknall's Greek Island hopping adventures. Harry writes with wit and charm and the book is engaging and entertaining.
Ola
Ola rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Mrgowen
Mrgowen rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Kizzy Rowland
Kizzy Rowland rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Charlie Norman
Charlie Norman rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Kevin Turner
Kevin Turner rated it it was ok
Yorkshire
Yorkshire rated it it was amazing
Yorkshire
Yorkshire rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Caroline Blake
Caroline Blake rated it it was ok
May 25, 2015
paul bell
paul bell rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
K.M. Porte
K.M. Porte rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Espen Smith Ore
Espen Smith Ore rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Scott Elsdon
Scott Elsdon rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
R Pagani
R Pagani rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Michele Brooker
Michele Brooker rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Carl Palin
Carl Palin rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2011
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2011
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2012
Irena
Irena marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Chrissie
Chrissie marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2012
Fritzov
Fritzov marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2012
Magda
Magda is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2013
Laurie
Laurie added it
Mar 18, 2015
Mania
Mania marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 16, 2014
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 02, 2014
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Mrs.A. Rees-Simkins
Mrs.A. Rees-Simkins marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Sarah Booth
Sarah Booth marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
John
John added it
Sep 13, 2015
Nicola Palmer
Nicola Palmer marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Harry Bucknall was born in 1965 and brought up in Dorset. After 12 years service in the British Army, he worked in the oil and mining industries and as a consultant in the Middle East. He has also produced theatre on the London Fringe, sat on the Olivier Awards Panel and reviewed theatre for Arts Council, London. As a freelance travel writer he has contributed to the international and national ...more
More about Harry Bucknall...