Start by marking “Be Still and Get Going: A Jewish Meditation Practice for Real Life” as Want to Read:
Be Still and Get Going: A Jewish Meditation Practice for Real Life

Be Still and Get Going: A Jewish Meditation Practice for Real Life

- Written in a warm, accessible, and intimate style, BE STILL AND GET GOING will touch those who are searching for an authentic spiritual practice that speaks to them in their own cultural language.- Lew's first book, "One God Clapping (Jewish Lights Publishing, 2/01), was a "San Francisco Chronicle bestseller and winner of the PEN Josephine Miles Award for Literary ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Be Still and Get Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Still and Get Going

Greg
Mar 02, 2009 Greg rated it did not like it
Shelves: judaism, buddhism
This book suffers three failings, one which may be irrelevant relative to the reader, the other two are absolute, not relative.

The one that is recoverable, is that the author is pretty far off the reservation with respect to Judaism. The book will be most interesting for the Bu-Jew reader, somebody who is looking for Jewish ritual infused with Buddhist meaning.

The second failing is that the book is poorly organized. It is composed from material over many years given as lectures at retreats and
Emily Judds
Sep 25, 2016 Emily Judds rated it it was amazing
So illuminating! This is everything I feel Jewish spirituality is at its core, but we so often don't approach it this way. As a Jewish yoga practitioner, I have been searching for a way to integrate my yoga practice with my Jewish lifestyle and beliefs. This is THE book for doing that! Rabbi Lew presents his insight in such a practical way; I'm planning a trip to his meditation center ASAP!
Shelley Hainer
May 31, 2013 Shelley Hainer rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shelley by: Susan
At a time of radical change on the cusp of loss, grief and truly, leaving home, this book was handed to me. It served as a healing stick. Alan Lew weaves together the Exodus into householder life with a Buddhist philosophy made palpable, as it appeared I was living the experience.

I had just driven 4 hours north, my longest solo drive. Exhausted upon arrival on a solo retreat, Susan my new friend must have recognized my state. She plucked this book from a vast library and put it in my hands.

Th
Mike
Sep 04, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read. extraordinarily clearly written. the title is from one of the thundering utterances at Mt. Sinai. not a "how to" or "it really feels great" or "painful,daunting but worth it" book re mindfulness. but in actuality a real how to why to meditate, with stunning and heart-opening anecdotes and insights on almost any page. maybe I'm just going through middle-aged molting, but this book spoke incredibly strongly to me. my wife too, and we are very differently wired.

Mike
Joanie
Mar 10, 2012 Joanie rated it it was amazing
One of the most incredible books I've ever read - and probably the most underlined. The prose was INCREDIBLE, and the insights had me thinking broader and deeper about my life than I have in a good while - opened up places inside of me. Got me still. Got me going. Cannot give it enough stars to give it credit.
Carol
Oct 08, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
My only regret is that I found this book after Rabbi Lew had died because I would love to thank him personally for a wonderful take on the spiritual life. He has opened up new ways of thinking about traditional texts. I thank him now--and only wish I could have thanked him in person.
Renee
Aug 06, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensitively written and erudite, Be Still and Get Going is on my shelf among my favorite books that deal with the difficult, sublime topic of spirituality.
Rachel
May 12, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book was even more fascinating than I thought it would be. I learned about meditation, about Jewish texts, and about Rabbi Alan Lew's life.
Jennifer Gruenhagen
Jennifer Gruenhagen rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2011
Ellen Eisinberg
Ellen Eisinberg rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Kendra Fried
Kendra Fried rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Debby Fink
Debby Fink rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Jonah
Jonah rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Janaki Kuruppu
Janaki Kuruppu rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Meridith Sine
Meridith Sine rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2008
Lisa Apple
Lisa Apple rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Estee
Estee rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Barbara Kessler
Nov 26, 2016 Barbara Kessler rated it it was amazing
One to read and read and read- and I re read it often
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Robert Teeter
Robert Teeter rated it liked it
May 21, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Isaac
Isaac rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2010
Moira Russell
Moira Russell rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
Gloveman
Gloveman rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Buffone
Buffone rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016