Start by marking “The Joy of Music” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Music

The Joy of Music

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This classic work is perhaps Bernstein's finest collection of conversations on the meaning and wonder of music. This book is a must for all music fans who wish to experience music more fully and deeply through one of the most inspired, and inspiring, music intellects of our time. Employing the creative device of "Imaginary Conversations" in the first section of his book, B ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Amadeus Press (first published 1959)

Lobstergirl
Dec 04, 2012 Lobstergirl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grandees
Shelves: music
Bernstein can be hippieish and outdated at times ("now, isn't that as hot a lick as you could wish for?"), and the audience for several of these "imaginary conversations" and TV talks either isn't precisely me, or doesn't exist anymore (for instance when Bernstein assumes that everyone listening will know some basic tune that everyone knew in the 50s, and no one has known for 20 years because we don't teach music in the public schools anymore). But he's indisputably an engaging, gifted, energeti ...more
Lacie
May 22, 2012 Lacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts
What should I say about this book? It is a collection of scripts from various radio/television interviews Leonard Bernstein gave over the course of his life. So, half of the scripts are okay [1-2 stars], and the other half is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. [4-5+ stars] I particularly enjoyed Bernstein’s analyses of the music of J.S. Bach, contemporary classical composers, Beethoven’s 5th, and Jazz. His insights are practical and instructive. Lots of music theory and analysis of compositional forms. I also enjoy ...more
Iris
Apr 22, 2014 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was written for the non-musician, but musicians of all ages and experiences would benefit from a read, too. LB taps into diff classical areas -- jazz, modern music, bach, opera (just to name a few) -- in a way only a conductor can, maybe in a way only LB can. i got my mind blown during his overtones discussion. does every other musician know this? --> that overtones gave us the notes to build the common chord and the pentatonic scale? whaaaaat. music is amazing.
Sandra Park
Dec 01, 2009 Sandra Park rated it it was amazing
i remember the first time i read this, especially the first imaginary conversation he has with himself (over Beethoven). i felt like someone punched me in the gut. in a very, very good way. i just knew *exactly* what he was talking about. one of my favorite books of all time.
Lisa
May 02, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I found this gem at Thrift Town, and ended up reading it in one sitting (including time at the piano)! I learned so much from it. I wish I could have seen these TV programs when they came out. Bernstein would have had a fabulous blog, if he'd had time to blog.
Jojo
Jan 05, 2016 Jojo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely loved this book! Even if you have no background in music (ESPECIALLY if you don't) the way Leonard Bernstein discusses music in various forms will give you a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of the medium. I admittedly can't read music very well (even with singing lessons and three years of trombone), but I still "read" the music that appears throughout and was able to at least understand the movement and flow of the pieces he discusses. I also plan to watch the clips of ...more
Marshall
Sep 19, 2015 Marshall rated it it was amazing
I research more about Leonard Bernstein while reading this review, and watched the making of west side story (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjxWK...). Bernstein is an interesting and talented man, and his book deepens my understanding of music.

Classical music
Bernstein discussed Beethoven and Chopin in depth in his book. Following these two great composers, Bernstein talks about music forms.

Ultimately one must simply ply accept the loving fact that people enjoy listening to organized sound (cer
Marios
Oct 30, 2012 Marios rated it really liked it
"My idol has been desecrated before my eyes! There he lies, a bedraggled, deaf, syphilitic; besmirched by the vain tongue of pseudocriticism; no attention paid to his obvious genius, his miraculous outpourings, his pure revelation, his vision of glory, brotherhood, divinity! There he lies a mediocre melodist, a homely harmonist, an iterant riveter of a rhythmist, an ordinary orchestrator, a commonplace contrapuntist!
...
Form is only an empty word, a shell, without this gift of inevitability; a co
Markus
Aug 21, 2013 Markus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Bernstein has such a way of making the complex seem common and simple. This is why he was able to have Young People's Concerts and Omnibus. It's for these reasons that I give this book a five. I wish I had his gift. To be honest, I didn't learn much from the book, as I've taken far too many music classes. I don't necessarily disagree with another reviewer that this book is slightly dated. It's not like Bernstein is alive to update it. The book is exactly what it says it is, transcripts to televi ...more
Tim Drummond
Nov 13, 2010 Tim Drummond rated it really liked it
A very accessible look into the world of classical music. Leonard Bernstein, one of America's greatest conductors, composers, and music educators, helps us to see why he loves Bach, opera, and Beethoven, and why we should care. The majority of the book is a series of transcripts from his 1950's era TV show "Omnibus," complete with score excerpts for those who can read music (it doesn't really take away all that much if you can't though). There are a lot of books about why certain music is so gre ...more
May
Feb 16, 2016 May rated it really liked it
A wonderful piece on Bernstein's thoughts on music. I thoroughly enjoyed the written pieces. For those that don't play an instrument, just use youtube to help you along with the music piece.

I found it amazing that so many of the thoughts that he had about the composers are identical to what my impressions are. It was re-assuring to know that I'm on the right track. Of course, Bernstein articulates better than I ever could.

I adore his comments on Bach. I don't love Beethoven like he does, but I
Jake Berlin
Nov 14, 2013 Jake Berlin rated it it was amazing
a wonderful read for any lover of music. bernstein obviously has an in-depth understanding of all of the wide range of subjects, but like the great communicator he was is able to deliver ideas and examples that anyone can understand. that being said, there's a fair amount of written music in the book, so not being able to read music might take away from the experience slightly (but not enough, in my mind, to dissuade you from reading it). the last few chapters are transcripts (with pieces added) ...more
Zoe
Jul 03, 2014 Zoe rated it liked it
Interesting perspectives on well known classics.
David Sabala
Oct 17, 2011 David Sabala rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book for music lovers. Bernstein was a talented and entertaining showman. I could only imagine what it would have been like to take a course from him. He doesn't hold back from some of the esoteric topics in music theory, but instead delves into them, unconvinced that the layman is too limited to understand them. He does this all without seeming to talk down to people. If you're a music lover, musician or student, this book seems essential. Thank you, L.B.
Bob
Aug 07, 2011 Bob rated it liked it
This collection of essays is valuable mostly because of Bernstein's infectious excitement about classical music; hence, the title, I suppose. It's not very academic, but he has some unique insights and perspectives on music history and aesthetics. The transcripts of his TV shows, at the end of this collection, are a little pointless, as they refer constantly to the episode's musical excerpts. Overall, I recommend it to classical-music lovers, Bernstein fans in particular.
Nathanial
Jun 17, 2008 Nathanial rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
Focuses more on the music, talks less about the joy:

"The only way one can really say anything about music is to write music."

And then he goes on to write about music for 250 pages. Includes "Imaginary Conversations" in the form of dialogues, television scripts, magazine articles, lots of sheet music, and even little illustrations of composer figurines in action.
Vishu
May 12, 2016 Vishu rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book and television series, especially for those who believe that music is beyond analysis.
Mikael Lind
Dec 05, 2011 Mikael Lind rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
I remember that this book made me understand a whole lot more about music when I read this as a youngster. I should probably read it again. Before reading this, I thought most 12 tone music was completely unintelligible, but Bernstein explains the musical development through the history in an eye-opening fashion.
Harry
Dec 08, 2012 Harry rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Amazing insights and a treat to read reasonable music analysis, not emotional "wine" reviews. I learned a lot and now want to go find the videos. Bernstein was an amazing force. Didn't quite make me want to listen to opera but Bach deserves some more of my time.
Rachel
Jan 30, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction, music
It's a little hard to rate a book that's a collection of different articles. The one on Bach would certainly get a four, but some of the others only a two. :) There's some very good material here--the chapter on the music of Bach is amazing.
Hadrian
Mar 28, 2011 Hadrian rated it really liked it
Witty and insightful guide into some of the deeper meanings of music. The music scores added to the experience, especially when I decided to play the relevant pieces on Youtube, or something similar. Good stuff.
Dan
Mar 21, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dan by: found it on my shelf
Great Book including really funny and understandable definitions of various types of music.

Must get the Omnibus TV shows somewhere to put the music to the words, but the words alone are great reading.
Paul
Jul 04, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book for a music lover of any kind. Bernstein makes you look at music in new ways that give you a better understanding of the music and better ways to articulate that understanding.
Jessica
Sep 02, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
A collection of ideas/conversations/tv transcripts from Leonard Bernstein about different areas of music. Some were very insightful and some weren't as inspiring.
Mar 11, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
I don't care much for his conducting (I know, I suck) but I have to say, the man knew his stuff.
David
Aug 14, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange but wonderful collection of short writing about music and its enjoyment.
Alex Diaz
Dec 10, 2013 Alex Diaz rated it it was amazing
My favorite musician, and a mind that explored the possibilities. I own two copies.
cynthia Clark
Jan 05, 2010 cynthia Clark rated it it was ok
Very difficult to get anything out of if you don't already read music.
  • The Lives of the Great Composers
  • The Study of Counterpoint
  • Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination
  • Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician
  • Music, Language, and the Brain
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • Testimony: The Memoirs
  • What to Listen for in Music (Revised Edition)
  • Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music
  • Silence: Lectures and Writings
41906
Leonard Bernstein was an American conductor, composer, author, music lecturer and pianist. He was the first conductor born and educated in the United States of America to receive world-wide acclaim. He is perhaps best known for his long conducting relationship with the New York Philharmonic, which included the acclaimed Young People's Concerts series, and his compositions including West Side Story ...more
More about Leonard Bernstein...

“Music, of all the arts, stands in a special region, unlit by any star but its own, and utterly without meaning ... except its own.” 44 likes