Start by marking “Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)

Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Rachel Bailey may seem like just a beautiful newcomer to most of Reidsville, Colorado, but Sheriff Wyatt Cooper knows she's much more. Through a twist of fate, Rachel is the inheritor of a very valuable commodity: control of the railway that keeps the isolated mining town connected to the world. That is, she will be, if she agrees to the surprising stipulation in her benef ...more
Hardcover, Book Club (BCE/BOMC) edition, 437 pages
Published 2009 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Love A Lawman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Love A Lawman

Catherine
While this book wasn't my favorite by Jo Goodman I definitely enjoyed it. I loved the interactions between the two main characters. Jo Goodman has a definite talent for making every dialogue exchange seem meaningful and filled with undercurrents. Most all of the conversations Rachel and Wyatt had seemed to be filled with sly wit and dry humor. They were muted, but definitely there.

I love how the characters are as much of a mystery to the reader as they are to each other. I enjoy watching the cha
Anja
3.75 stars.

The first 60% of the book is spent showing the development of the romance. There was a lot of dry, witty dialogue between the hero and heroine and I was smiling all through the reading. They have tons of chemistry and I was hooked. The book was working its way into 5 star territory.

Then the focus turned toward the plot revolving around the inheritance Rachel received and the reason for her marriage to Wyatt. I felt like the pace slowed down even though I think it probably actually spe
Keri
The byplay between Wyatt and Rachel was really fun, as two really smart people trades quips hiding the fact of just how smart they were. Antoher wonderful read and I can't wait to read the next one.
Misfit
Rachel Bailey might think she's buried the secrets of her past in Sacramento when she moved to the small mountain town of Reidsville, Colorado, but the past comes back with a vengeance when she inherits the local railway spur and half the local mine from her former benefactor. But there's a catch, as one of the terms of the will says she has to marry Sheriff Wyatt Cooper, or it all goes back to her benefactor's grandson (and he's an evil evil baddie). Well, this being a romance and all sparks st ...more
jenjn79
Rating: 2.5 / 5

This book was a total random buy for me (something I don't do much of lately). I saw it at the grocery store book section. The cover caught my eye and the synopsis sounded interesting...though the hefty thickness of the book made me a little indecisive. But I bought it...and though I won't say it was a total waste, I will say I probably wouldn't buy it again if I had to do it over.

Summary:
I'm going to skip the extended summary this time because I think the one on the book page he
Kim H
While I did enjoy this story, it's not quite right. It has a decent plot & the interaction between the H&H, while it's slow getting started, heats up nicely in the second half. It's just muzzy somehow. Character development isn't very distinctive, and what internal monologue there is doesn't reveal all that much. I had to draw too many conclusions based on what's apparent from dialogue and behavior; there's not enough narrative to it & too much of the backstory is revealed through di ...more
Linda
First, I have to mention that I have never read a book by this author before and I am not sure why. I have come across her name but, honestly, I categorized Ms. Goodman with many of the writers that first published romances in the mid-80's, someone to look at one day when I have the time. No rush, no foul.

Well, I was wrong with this POV. Maybe I just got lucky but I am going to have to look for more books by this author. NEVER LOVE A LAWMAN epitomizes what I love when I read a juicy romance.

The
Lyuda
Wonderful western character driven romance with strong hero and heroine. Their chemistry is palpable, their interactions both witty and poignant. Secondary characters are well and realistically portrayed. The author has a gift of transporting you in time to the little town in Colorado at the end of 19th century. The only thing that made me lower the rating is the second part of the story went way too long.
Jultri
4.5. Jo Goodman has an incredible way of hooking the reader into her stories, with wonderfully detailed observations about her protagonists and a great holistic sense of how these characters were meant to be, allowing them to appear so vividly in the reader's mind. Each word, each mannerism observed was consistent for the character and the developing storyline. She seems to have such great understanding of human behaviour and psyche.

The story is of a private, but well respected young seamstress
Luli
Esta ha sido una historia rara, y a pesar de ello, me ha gustado.
Rara porque desde luego está más cerca de la ciencia ficción que de la realidad. Me ha resultado muy chocante el ambiente en el que se desarrolla, no es creíble, es demasiado imaginativo, realmente no creo que jamás haya existido una ciudad así en el Salvaje Oeste.
(view spoiler)
Janet
I liked it but I wasn't crazy about it: it was too long and too dispassionate. Jo Goodman is hit and miss for me ... I often feel like there's a barrier between me (the reader) and the plot. Not a great explanation but there it is.

Edited to add, and not to be picky, but it just occurred to me: I don't care for Houses of Ill Repute where all the ladies have hearts of gold and the madam is just as delightful as she can be. Come on. That's supposed to be realistic?
D.L.
Ultimately, this book is a DNF... for now. I can see myself picking it up in the future. I enjoyed it enough while I was reading it. The problem was it constantly failed the put down/pick up test, and after a week away from the story, I seemed to be spending more time trying to remember what happened in past pages.

So while Wyatt held a lot of promise as a hero, and I have yet to learn Rachel's secret, I will remain in suspense.
Jm
Avec ce premier tome, nous découvrons la plume particulière de l'auteur, pleine d'humour et avec un style unique.

Jo Goodman réussit à nous dépeindre la vie tranquille dans une petite ville minière du Colorado et on est vite happés dans son récit. Mais elle a aussi une façon bien à elle de nous présenter ses personnages. On ressent comme une distance entre eux et nous. L'histoire est excellente, l'intrigue bien menée et les personnages intéressants, mais, comparés à d'autres romances, on met beau
SheLove2Read
I ended up not finishing this book. Its not a bad book per se, just slow and excruciatingly "average". I finally gave up out of sheer boredom.
Jenny
This was my introduction to Jo Goodman and I am hooked! I've read four of her books so far and haven't been diappointed. Her plots, characterization, and prose are all flawless and effortless, but dialogue is her greatest strength. I love the way she lets her characters get to know each other through conversation. She often has me laughing out loud from their wit and intelligence. The women are strong and the men tender, but she makes both qualities seem fresh and intrinsic rather than cliched o ...more
Sharon
Never Love a Lawman, Jo Goodman (B+) - Another solid one from probably my most consistent "comfort"-reading author. As with most Goodman novels, I enjoyed the steady and reliable hero and the prickly heroine who has hidden reasons for her reserve. Wyatt is nicely attuned to Rachel's feelings and is often displayed as a strategic player in their relationship, which is fun to witness. I like heroes that work hard for their romance, and Goodman almost never fails in this respect.

I did have some min
Kaetrin
From my blog 28/11/10:

I really like Jo Goodman's books - I bought this one shortly after it came out but for some reason, it languished on my TBR until recently. Marry Me, Reidsville #2 is just out and it's winging its way to me as I write. I thought I'd better read book 1 first. The only other Jo Goodman books I've read have been mainly set in England and I haven't read a lot of historical Westerns so that's maybe why it took me so long.

What it's about: The book starts off with a mysterious pro
Hilcia
Never Love a Lawman is set in the small mining town of Reidsville, Colorado and the events take place in 1882. A spur of the California & Colorado Railroad Company (the C&C) is the only thing keeping it from becoming a ghost town. Those short railway miles linking Denver to Reidsville give the miners and townspeople access to goods. In turn they use the railway as a fast and efficient way to transport their gold and silver.

Clinton Maddox, owner of the C&C and a partner with interest
Carrie
TBR Reading Challenge 2011- April category: Western

3.5* I wavered whether to round up or down on this one. Goodman is an excellent writer in many ways, and she's obviously done her research on life in the American west in the 19th century. The writing is clear and well-balanced, and the descriptions full of details of everyday life. That detail is both a positive and a negative, depending on the reader. Or, in my case, depending on the part of the story being detailed. At times it was enjoyable
Sandy M
Wow. I picked this book up just to skim the first few pages, and I could not put it down. I’ve not read Ms. Goodman before. Have a feeling I’ve been missing quite a number of good books. But I’m now determined to find out what it is I have been missing all this time. Any book I come across by Ms. Goodman is being promoted to the top of the TBR pile.

The first thing I have to mention in reading this story is how things are not what they seem, as evidenced by the prologue right out of the gate. I w
Jill Dunlop
Rachel Bailey escapes to the small mining town of Reidsville, Colorado to carve out a new life for herself. She mainly keeps to herself designing and sewing clothes for the town inhabitants. Through the plans of a generous, yet manipulative man she becomes the proud owner of a stretch of railroad and a silver mine. The catch is that she must marry the town Sheriff in order to inherit the property. Rachael is between a rock and a hard place because the town is dependent upon the mine and the rail ...more
Jessi
In my early romance reading days I was all western all the time, but I slowly drifted away from my roots to the more glamorous worlds of regency and contemorary. Authors like Jo Goodman are starting to bring me back and and I remember why I love it - the no-nonsense, practical heroines, rugged cowboys with their "ma'am's", the life or death situations, the gorgeous scenery. I mean really, you just can't go wrong. Never Love a Lawman was a wonderful read. It is very dense - and by that I mean the ...more
Artemissia
(3,5 étoiles). Je suis , j'ai été ravie de pouvoir enfin me plonger dans une romance au doux air de Western. J'avoue que ça m'avait manqué. Dans l'ensemble, l'histoire est assez sympa mais j'avoue avoir accroché moyennement aux personnages. Rachel et Wyatt m'ont un peu laissée de marbre malgré une histoire, sans être transcendante, qui était plutôt bien menée.

Betsy
Characters: Seamstress with a past. Sheriff with Boston past.
World Building: 19th century photography. Trains. Mining.
Plot: Secret marriage. Kidnapping.
Sex: Medium.
Read another: Probably.
Juli
Very well-written and enjoyable
Sandra Lewis
its a good book. , love romance westerns. i have finished the book, will read again later in the future.
Issa
Bof... même pas lu au complet...
Cbec
I found this book to be filled with unnecessary scenes and descriptions. I didn't feel the spark between the Hero/Heroine, at some points in the book it felt as though they were too comfortable with each other to the point of being almost boring. I thought that they could have used some conflict in their relationship to make them seem more like real people (ie/ jealousy or distrust). It was just too average of a story for my liking.
Vanessa Kelly
Not much of a reader for Westerns, but I really loved this book - mostly because the hero was such a great character. Wyatt is not your typical alpha male. Although strong, capable, and very protective, he's laid back and happier to use his intellect to solve a problem than a six-shooter. I also liked the plot-heaviness of the book, and the fully developed cast of secondary characters,
  • Conor's Way
  • Without Words
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • Joe's Wife
  • Leah and the Bounty Hunter (Men of Defiance, #3)
  • Her Hesitant Heart
  • The Tender Texan
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Short Straw Bride
  • The Gunslinger's Untamed Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
To find characters to illustrate my first family saga, I cut out models from the Sears catalogue. I was in fourth grade, but it was a start. In seventh grade I wrote a melodrama about two orphan sisters, one of whom was pregnant. There was also a story about a runaway girl with the unlikely name of Strawberry and one about mistaken identities and an evil blind date. My supportive, but vaguely conc ...more
More about Jo Goodman...
The Price Of Desire Marry Me (Reidsville, #2) If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3) A Place Called Home A Season to Be Sinful (Grantham, #1)

“She hesitated. “I’m not sure I understand.”
“Don’t you?” he asked. “You changed my heart, Rachel.”
She felt her throat constrict, making any reply impossible.
“Rachel?” Her silence rarely made him uncomfortable, but this time he had no clear view of her features and no way to gauge her reaction. He wondered if he should have made a more straightforward declaration. “Did you hear me say I love you?”
She turned her cheek into his shoulder. “I heard you.”
2 likes