Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The seminal treatise and guide to Ashtanga yoga by the master of this increasingly popular discipline

There is a yoga boom in America, and Sri K. Pattabhi Jois is at the heart of it. One of the great yoga figures of our time, Jois brought Ashtanga yoga to the West a quarter of a century ago and has been the driving force behind its worldwide dissemination. Based on flowing,...more
Published October 15th 2002 by North Point Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga Mala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga Mala

Kelly
Studied with Guruji and teach ashtanga. Love this book! I refer to it often and always pass a copy on to my students. Must have for any ashtangi.
Laura Zurowski
This book is the heart of the Ashtanga yoga primary series; the historical documentation of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois' curriculum for asana practice and his overview and explanation of the 8-limb path.

There are newer Ashtanga books written by some of Jois' long-time students that explore in greater detail different areas of the practice, but this book is considered the original source. If you are looking to incorporate Ashtanga yoga principles both on and off the mat, you will need, and want, to own...more
Vanessa
Wish I'd read this much sooner. A must for ashtangis.
Abby
One of my reasons for joining the Yoga teacher training program was because I am very interested in the mind and body connection. Therefore, I very much enjoyed the first few sections of Yoga Mala because it focused so much on that concept. On page 11 he talks about how “if the mind turns toward the inner self for the purpose of knowing the nature of the self, then the strength will increase. Conversely if the mind is interested in external objects, then the strength will be diminished.” He warn...more
Brian
A pillar of the modern yoga movement, yet ancient in its message. To read Guruji's book is to enter not only the mind of a master, but to enter the minds of his (and everyone's) masters' masters. The thing is, anyone reading this book for instruction on living according to the yogic principles never "finishes" this book, because its contents are the stuff of the eternal Divine that resides within each of us. Guruji may have taken Mahasamadhi, but he will always be there to guide us within these...more
Rik
If you really want to get inside the head of Guruji, this does it. You get very strange translations, lots of dense technical yoga terms in Sanscrit, and prohibitions against sex alongside encouragement to eat ghee. Then on to the pictures: all 42 asanas of the primary series of Ashtanga are illustrated and explained, which makes this a useful reference. If you're looking for some insight into the spiritual relevance of yoga to westerners, look elsewhere.
Uday Desai
Read it once. This is book of yoga practice, not just theory, so you cannot read it in usual way.
As Francis Bacon has said ...
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested". This is the one should be not only chewed and digested, but should be the essential part of your daily "diet".

Pattabhi Jois is the master who established the style of youga now popular in the world as "Ashtanga Yoga".
Kelly Ferguson
Disclaimer: This is not a plane read, but a book for yoga practitioners.

With all the flotsam and Bikram floating around, I prefer a more traditional yoga. I never had the honor of practicing with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, and I'll probably never make it to Mysore, but these black and white pictures and the sincere, if somewhat odd prose, of this revered teacher inspires me to be a better practitioner—of all eight limbs.
Beth
I think this book would be tough for beginning yogis to digest, as Guruji refers to a lot of the ancient yogic texts, and the translation from his original book into english can be cumbersome at times. However, for ashtanga yogis, this book is wonderful - how cool to read Guruji's own words about not only Yoga Chikitsa (primary series) but also living the other 7 limbs!
True yogic philosophies and the ashtanga series broken down in a very serious way. Must be read with a grain of salt in today's modern world (pontificates an extremely ascetic lifestyle, no booze, sex rarely, little outside stimulus). But, a worthwhile read if you're interested in the background of yoga philosophy and a tutorial on yoga postures and their benefits.
Rachel
A must-read for Ashtanga Yoga students. Though Guruji (the author) typically answers questions with the statement "Ashtanga Yoga is 1% theory, 99% practice", this book answers some common questions about the philosophy behind the practice, as well as life-style instructions for the practitioner - some easier to follow than others...
Pinarpir
if you are practicing ashtanga it is good to have in your library and read time to time..
aştanga yapıyorsanız kütüphanenizde başucu kitabı olarak bulunmalı, dönem dönem gözden geçirmenizde fayda var. kitapta şimdikinden farklı bazı değişiklikler de var, bilginize..
Pake Hall

Wonderful explanations of the asanas of the primary serie and put into a traditional context. I'm very inspired to continue to explore the Ashtanga Yoga tradition and be fully present in every breath while doing so... And maybe take some ghee with that :)
Kristin
Yoga Mala aby Pattabhi Jois moves away from the asana's of the Ashtanga practice and focus's more on the philosphy behind the Ashtanga system. A must have resource for anyone who practices a traditional or contemporary style of Ashtanga.
Melanee
So...being the fiction reader that I am, I find it difficult to rate a book like this. I am obviously getting into yoga, which is a lot of fun, and this was a great intro. I don't agree with most of what he says, but it is fascinating.
Kelly
Jul 28, 2011 Kelly added it
This is the Ashtanga bible. Every purist's best friend. I've taken the lessons from this book and added them to those I've learned from all my teachers through the years. I still have a lot to learn. Namaste.
Kev
Anyone who is studying yoga beyond it being a workout would do well to read this book. Jois introduced Ashtanga Yoga to the West in 1964.
Explains the eight limbs clearly and concisely
Amanda
Excellent guide to ashtanga yoga, including background on the yoga sutras and detailed explanations and benefits of each of the poses of the primary series of ashtanga.
Lili
Apr 14, 2010 Lili added it
Shelves: not-finished
I wasn't really too enthusiastic about this book. It took me a while to get use to its tone. Then I somehow read through but I did omit quite a few pages.
Kristin
Interesting and surprising number of guidelines for the ladies. Won't be following all of them but a good read and good, interesting footnotes for yoga nerds.
April
Great easy to digest book. Photos are wonderful, descriptions are clear. I have this on iBooks to reference on the road.
Freya "West" Potempa
Posture breakdowns were great, but some of Jois' postulating on sexual purity and the strength of semen were a bit much for me.
Branqo
Nice introduction to yoga, basic postures. It's not a "complete guide" but more a manual.
Shelley
One of my favourite books. Have now read this a few times and refer to it often.
Alexandra Arboleda
I enjoyed learning more about Astanga Yoga and Pattabhi Jois.
Leanne Wels
Difficult to read, but interesting, informative and worth it.
Sharon
This is the guide from the guru himself...
Rex
A most for yogi and yogini through out the world
Edmundo
  • Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practice
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Journey Into Power: How to Sculpt Your Ideal Body, Free Your True Self,  and Transform Your Life With Yoga
Ashtanga Yoga: The Definitive Step-by-Step Guide to Dynamic Yoga Ashtanga Yoga: The Complete Mind and Body Workout Astanga Yoga