Start by marking “The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping” as Want to Read:
The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping

The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping

The Messie's Manual has helpled over a quarter million readers overcome disorderly lives. Reading it is not guaranteed to make you a professional housekeeper overnight, but it's a real beginning for overcoming procrastination and conquering the battle against messiness once and for all.
Paperback
Published November 1st 2000 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published October 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Messies Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messies Manual

Marissa  Pineda
Jan 17, 2009 Marissa Pineda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I admit it. I'm a "Messie"--my house is often in disarray and it's not my number one priority to keep on top of the place. But, I picked up this book when I was feeling like things had gotten out of control. It read like a 12 step program "Hi, I'm Marissa, and I can't find my floor."

The book had some practical ideas for unloading your junk and setting your house in order. It explores why some people are prone to messiness and some are not. Most of all, it was compassionate and humorous
Desert Rose
May 11, 2011 Desert Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An amazing book that opened my eyes to a lot of things I didn't seem to see while having it staring at my face. The author practically described my personality in great detail, I was convinced that she was spying on me and somehow wrote the book according to my life.. but how could she know what I was thinking too :)

The author divided people into two categories: Messies and Cleanies. She was a Messie but solved her problem 25 years ago and wrote this book to help fellow Messies to better their l
Pau Hernández
Feb 03, 2016 Pau Hernández rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sí, soy desordenada. Tengo que admitirlo públicamente. De verdad que me ha servido mucho este libro porque dejé de darme tanto palo por el desorden que voy dejando en todas partes. Gracias a él, ahora me conozco un poco más y sé por qué dejo las cosas empezadas, regadas en cualquier parte y otras cosas por el estilo. Ya no admito que en mi mente se aparezca un: "eres lo peor", "qué fastidio que seas así", etc. Ahora simplemente me río y arreglo lo que dejé en desorden. Para eso y más sirve este ...more
Kelly Walker
Jan 29, 2017 Kelly Walker rated it liked it
Worth the re read, however need an updated version which allows for technology re lists, reminders etc.
bring on the mount vernon method
James W.  Harris
Jan 30, 2012 James W. Harris rated it really liked it
I read a lot of books on organizing, and this surprised me by how useful it was. While there are plenty of cleaning and organizing techniques given in this book, Felton focuses on identifying the mental attitudes and personality traits that lead people to become either organized or messy. She then shows how organized people approach cleaning and organizing problems, and contrasts that with the ineffective approaches that "messies" -- the chronically messy who want to be organized and clean but d ...more
Carrie
Aug 11, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it
For practical advice on how to clean and organize your home I much prefer "Houseworks" by Cynthia Townley Ewer.

However, I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved her analysis of the group of people she calls "messies" and how intrinsically different they are from "cleanies." For example, a "cleanie" will see that something is out of place or dirty and immediately clean it up, while a "messie" will not even notice. (It made me think of my first solo apartment, when I had a sink full of dirty d
Desert Rose
Mar 16, 2016 Desert Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ayana Mishelle
I have used this book almost like a Bible in getting my home organized so that I can have a more managable life outside the classroom. I need to come home to beauty and neatness and with my schedule I was having a hard time keeping all the balls up in the air. This book really helped when I had small children and with keeping things in order with my foster children. I think this book will be good for teachers because when we go home to a nice neat home to do more work it just helps to be able t ...more
Frangipani
Dec 13, 2008 Frangipani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book looking for answers on managing paper clutter. I need to organize it. I'm a FLYbaby (big Marla Cilley fan) but I just could not make the paper thing work her way. Felton understands how people get emotional about paper clutter and she has several unique methods of dealing with it which I found intriguing and practical. I would definitely recommend Chapter 16 (Keeping up with the info flow) of this book to people struggling with the flow of paper and information in their lives. ...more
Ruth Byrnes
Apr 08, 2015 Ruth Byrnes rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book on decluttering your home and then organizing it. Her system works. She also has a website called the organizer lady. I first read this book 15 years ago and it has helped me immensely. She also has a terrific sense of humor and calls herself a reformed "messie". If you sign up on her website you will receive a tip everyday.
Tip: Read her updated version called "The New Messies Manuel"
Crissy
Jan 14, 2009 Crissy rated it really liked it
As a Messie of the 4-5 caliber I found this to be a very fun read. I could relate to the uber-Messies, and rejoice that I never went that far into clutters grasp. Some fun hints for restoring order and getting a grip on housekeeping, and some very clever illustrations of the various types of messies out there. Wish me luck on my quest to becoming an 8 or 9 (no one really wants to be a 10 anyway!) :)
Sandra
Aug 28, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
I am a packrat and I am married to a hoarder, so cleaning seems like a neverending task. Packrats aren't always messies, because we know where it is and save things forever. I love to read books on how to better organize my clutter (and saved things) so that I can get new things to add into my already full house.

This book was easy to read, and full of checklists, poems, quotes, and even some pictures. I really enjoyed reading Sandra's book and found a few new tips to try.

Rachel
Dec 06, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
I read this book more than 3 years ago, and it still impacts my life on a regular basis. The author is full of realistic goals and knowledgeable reasoning behind the causes for living a "messy" life. I found myself in every chapter, and see long-term success now, even several years later. I highly recommend it!
Barbara
Aug 02, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
I believe this was the third such "Messie" book that I read, all in the same year. It and "The Messie Motivator" have a lot of repetition between the two. I was hoping for something more, as I was flailing at the time.

If you only buy ONE of the Messie books, this is probably the most bare-bones how-to of the lot.
Gaijinmama
Jan 12, 2011 Gaijinmama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An excellent, inspirational resource for home organizing, decluttering, and setting goals.
As a life-long Messie I need all the help I can get. It is an ongoing process and Felton is helpful, wise, and breaks it down to basics for those of us who are not Born Organized.
Ursula Shelton
Nov 19, 2015 Ursula Shelton rated it it was ok
Cute little book that tells you all about the messy people in your life; if not you someone that you love possibly a co-worker. Sure and practical advise on how to conquer this bad habit with a hint of humor. I would certainly recommend this book to family members and friends. Enjoy!!
Nannette Serra
Nov 05, 2013 Nannette Serra rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-garden
I also have Sandra's Messies Daily Calendar. In need of motivation? Like today, November 5 advises me to take time for myself. This involves washing all my silk blouses in a pillowcase and ironing them. Watch an episode of HOARDERS on TV, read some of this book and get motivated.
Elissa
Jan 25, 2008 Elissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2007
This has a lot of practical advice, tips and tricks, etc. for people with cluttered homes and lives.
Mirandy Richardson
Aug 31, 2012 Mirandy Richardson rated it really liked it
Love this book. Made me feel I am not the only woman in which house cleaning doesn't come naturally.
Andreia
Aug 24, 2012 Andreia rated it really liked it
Some great tips and encouragement for messies every where and for those who just want to keep up with housekeeping
Tricia
Aug 08, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I listened to the audio version while on vacation with my in-laws.

I really think I could use this system to maintain my house. I will put some of these tips to good use.
Deyara
Nov 18, 2011 Deyara rated it really liked it
Shelves: organising
A bit dated now, but still really useful. Focuses a lot on the psychological aspects of "meesie"-ness but has plenty of helpful tips and tricks and has given me lots of things to try.
Jodi Doherty
Jodi Doherty rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Tricia
Tricia rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2010
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2008
Willa
Willa rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2009
Sandra Sanders
Sandra Sanders rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Sanna Karosas
Sanna Karosas rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Linda Lucas
Linda Lucas rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Getting Organized
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Sidetracked Home Executives(TM): From Pigpen to Paradise
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Sink Reflections
  • It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys: The Seven-Step Path to Becoming Truly Organized
  • Organize Now!: A Week-by-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Organized for Homicide (Organized, #2)
  • Rightsizing Your Life: Simplifying Your Surroundings While Keeping What Matters Most
  • All In Good Time: When to Save, Stock Up, and Schedule Everything for Your Home
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects & Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management
  • Organize Yourself!
  • Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home and Life
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding

“The bitterness of living in a mess remains long after the sweetness of resting is forgotten.” 2 likes