Start by marking “100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature” as Want to Read:
100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature

100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  24 reviews
100 Banned Books profiles well-known, often classic works that have been censored for religious, political, social or sexual reasons. Each entry gives readers a summary of the work, its censorship history and suggestions for further reading.
Published August 1st 1999 by Checkmark Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Banned Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Banned Books

Rachel
What I gathered from this book:

1. Governments ban books when you say negative things about them.

2. Local groups get books banned because they enjoy living in the denial that high school kids don't swear and have never heard any swearing before. And they can't handle reading about sex. Right. Yeah.
Lisa
celebrate freedom and read a banned book!
you can look up lists of books banned on political, religious. sexual and social grounds. you'll learn the whens, wheres and whys and get a description of the book. i figure if it caused enough "ruckus" and havoc to be banned, it must be worth reading!
Dana
i learned about 100 books i needed to read.
Sarai
From Library Journal
Scheduled for publication during Banned Books Week (September 25, 1999-October 2, 1999), this reference gives extensive insight into titles that historically have faced a high rate of censorship, both in the United States and abroad. The text is arranged in four sections, with titles divided by the main grounds - political, religious, sexual, and social -for censorship. Introductory notes for each section define what the book's authors mean by that type of suppression and sum
Monique
Interesting book about books that have been banned at one time or other for political, religious, sexual or social reasons. Amazing what some people will do to prevent access to ideas they do not agree with. A lot of this is still happening in current times.
Robin
This was a fascinating read. The synopses of all the books were really helpful. It was a good way to find out what some commonly named books were about. The banning histories were also interesting. As another reader stated all these parent groups who obviously haven't listened to their children in awhile.
Anna
Feb 02, 2008 Anna added it
Shelves: put-down
**Not for lack of interest - I just had to return it to the library**

Because, unfortunately, reading a work of fiction can still be a political act even in supposedly 'advanced' cultures.

I so hope future generations will look back at this and wonder how the hell we could go along with this.
Kristin Taylor
Love it -- use it a resource for a Banned Book Lesson
Sharon Younkin
Apr 24, 2013 Sharon Younkin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fiction
It's interesting to see the various books that have been banned, some of which are quite surprising (no spoilers here). The synopses are quite good, but of course not as good as reading the books themselves. The book makes for a great reading list.
Hey_jude
An interesting find on censorship and details various censorship history for each book. Categorized into areas that the book was banned on such as political and social reasons, sexual reasons and violence. Very interesting.
Michael
Provided a good summary of each book and its censorship history. However, as I progressed through the book, the summaries and histories got shorter and shorter. I think the author got sick of writing this book.
poppy
This is a great resource for finding out more about the reasons behind commonly banned/challenged books. Great for reading cover to cover, and also great for reference.
Kipi
Interesting to see why certain books were banned. Most were banned at the local/school level which became a little monotonous, but still an interesting read.
Julie
Liked it - although some of the books I knew about, I did make a list of other's I would like to read.
Sue
WOW, I am amazed at the books that have been banned, especially the ones in my lifetime.
Sho
Insipid way of telling history of banned books.
Sasha
I suppose it's great job. It's no perfect maybe, but important and interesting
Alyaaf
Amazing how many "modern" books have been on banned lists, even here!
Jason Hallmark
I love this book. Its a real conversation piece.
Joe
I'm takin notes.
Jim
No surprises here.
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Thomas Gibbs
Thomas Gibbs marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Marissa Miller
Marissa Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Brandee
Brandee marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • Rereadings: Seventeen writers revisit books they love
  • Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclamations Upon Expiration
  • Letters
  • Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's the Grapes of Wrath
120 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature Literature Suppressed on Social Grounds (Banned Books) Literature Suppressed On Political Grounds Censored Books Reader Response In The Classroom: Evoking And Interpreting Meaning In Literature