Start by marking “Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)” as Want to Read:
Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)

Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  62 reviews
National Readers Choice Awards Finalist - Racehorse trainer, Kurt MacKinnon, resents being yanked into undercover police work. But when his ex-partner is murdered, Kurt is determined to find the killer and moves his third-string Thoroughbreds to the backwater track where his partner was last seen alive.

Julie West, struggling apprentice jockey, pins her dreams of an elusive
Published (first published June 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jockeys and Jewels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jockeys and Jewels

Maldivianbookreviewer
Kurt MacKinnon is a horse trainer who handed over his resignation to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police eleven months back, refusing to let the lies and deception that ruled his life in undercover work drain him out any longer. But Kurt gets pulled back to do one more undercover job, to bring to justice the man/woman responsible for the murder of one of his trusted colleagues. Kurt’s knowledge about horses and his profession makes him the ultimate choice for the undercover mission that involves i ...more
Deborah (LoveToReadRomance)
I received this e-book in the Library Thing member giveaway in exchange for review.

From the back of the book: Racehorse trainer, Kurt MacKinnon, resents being yanked into undercover police work. But when his ex-partner is murdered, Kurt is determined to find the killer and moves his third-string Thoroughbreds to the backwater track where his partner was last seen alive.

Julie West, struggling apprentice jockey, pins her dreams of an elusive win on the new trainer in town, never suspecting she’s a
Tara Chevrestt
I was very entertained by this one. It isn't too romancy nor is too "thriller like." It's a perfect balance of both.

The mystery: I had a basic idea of what was going on, but I didn't have the finer details figured out from the get go so that's a plus.

The heroine: Awesome chick. She's a young woman trying to be a jockey. She isn't portrayed as super perfect or super tough though. She has weaknesses as well as strengths. She rides a race even after suffering great injuries, but she also drinks too
Mirrani
Unfortunately the title of the book gives away any of the mystery behind the plot itself, leaving "how does it happen" as the only question to be answered regarding the crime that is being done, but surprisingly, that big give away didn't detract from the enjoyment of reading.

I highly recommend this book for lovers of racing and for casual fans. I also expect that newcomers who are curious about the track might enjoy the insight as to what happens behind the scenes. Reading this book renewed my
Vilia
Review from Backchatting Books

Kurt MacKinnon was a great cop but he has moved on to be a very successful horse trainer. When his ex-partner Connor dies while investigating something dodgy in the horse industry, Kurt tries to find out what went wrong. His knowledge of horse racing ought to give him an inside edge. A little more subtlety with the title would have been fantastic as it spoilt the story.

Kurt was a bit of an oddity as a hero. He was supposed to be a confident, successful trainer but
Emily
Jun 22, 2012 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult Women
Recommended to Emily by: First Reads
First Reads

The author graciously provided a PDF copy for my review

Another wonderful novel by Pettersen! Like her other novels, this is a fantastic combination for romance and horse lovers alike.

This was such an exciting read. The lead character Kurt added a thrill of adventure with his cop/cowboy attitude. He exuded masculinity, and certainly created a tingling sensation in the pit of your stomach.

I really enjoyed the bantering between Julie and Kurt, and the sexual tension was intense.

I'm a
Heather andrews
Kurt he has some naughty thoughts about Julie, "tomorrow he'd have to pump Julie for information. Pump her hard. Sexual images nudged into his thoughts, thoughts he muscles into line." Julie I loved her she keeps her head above her shoulders, "I'm sorry." Her voice lowered. "We both know it's stupid to mix business with pleasure. Even though you're horribly attractive -" Kurt he really tries to be a gentleman, "Kurt followed, trying to flatten his grin. He dismounted beside a stack of firewood a ...more
Rhonda
I was kept in the story. Good see the races and horses.
Kurt is a horse trainer and his horse is about to race when he gets a call. He looks at who's calling and finds his old boss Archer from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. He quit 11 months ago to be a full time horse trainer. He was tired of going undercover all the time.
Archer said,"They needed him on this case as a horse trainer and not to take his good horses. His old partner Connor had been murdered. He had stopped to help a horse trail
Diana Hockley
A Dick Francis fan, I couldn't resist this novel which mixes mystery, horses and romance. I soon discovered that this novel - in spite of it's genre - was a lot less edgy than Francis' novels - but greatly enjoyable in its own way.

The characters are likeable and Blue, the dog, is a delight! The crooks are suitably nasty and there is a scene toward the end which really did scare me.

The hero is gorgeous - of course - but is not so macho as to be obnoxious, is cranky and very human. The heroine is
Tracey, librarian on strike
This was a Member Giveaway on LibraryThing, in ebook form – thank you! A longer version of this review is at: Stewartry: Jockeys and Jewels

What it says on the tin for this one that it's a mystery/romance set in the racing world. And it hits all of those elements pretty equally: Kurt is looking for the reason the dead cop, Connor, was investigating the track's stables and why he was murdered, as well as who did it. Naturally enough, he finds himself irresistibly attracted to Julie, and vice versa
Cheryl Rhodes
I was at Amazon ready to purchase another book by Bev Pettersen and noticed Jockeys and Jewels on a special free read so I downloaded it.

Wow! Great story line, good dialogue, and well constructed characters.

I spent a few years in the Thoroughbred racing industry and like reading romantic suspense/mysteries with a horse theme and Jockeys and Jewels was right up my alley. The backstretch, barn, and racetrack scenes were well constructed and I was transported back to my racing days, everything desc
Lynelle Clark
Just loved this book. Read it in a few hours. The author's knowledge about horses, racing and jockeys blended well with the plot to keep you turning the page. I really liked Kurt MacKinnon, ex undercover cop now horse trainer. Pulled back in after his ex partner and good friend was murdered. His strong, no nonsense way gathering the evidence to put this person away fast. But what stood out most was his soft touch to his and others horses although professional in his quest. You just feel safe wit ...more
Tina
This is a wonderful story. This is the first book in Bev's Racetrack Romance series. If you have any feelings for horses or horse racing along with a little mystery, you will not be disappointed with this book.

Kurt MacKinnon had handed in his resignation from his previous job as an undercover police officer for the RCMP to become a full-time racehorse trainer until his former boss calls to tell him his ex-partner, Connor was murdered after he mentioned a concern with a horse trailer. Beings he i
Susi
Another fab book from Bev Pettersen.
Not just a romance novel this book gives you a thrill and of course it gives you horses.
I enjoyed this book as all the topics are well researched and Bev's horse and racing knowledge makes sure that the book feels authentic. Due to my love for Appaloosas Cisco has a special place in my heart.
Now off to get Bev's other books as I am hooked.
Donna
This was a very good romantic suspense novel that kept you reading. I look forward to reading other books by this author.

Racehorse trainer Kurt MacKinnon resents being yanked back into undercover police work. But when his ex-partner is brutally murdered, he moves his third-string horses to a dirt road track, determined to hunt down the killer.

Struggling apprentice jockey Julie West pins her dreams of a vital win on the charismatic trainer, never suspecting she's a person of interest-and not bec
Kris
I LOVED that the author actually *knows what she's talking about*!!!! Before reading her bio info, I knew she worked with horses (and has done so for quite a while!) with all the little details and how easily the horsey terminology just rolled out as every day language.
There was suspense. There was romance. There was funny. The people were real, believable. There was competency of knowledge of Things. I like!!
I had a really good time reading this book. I got it for 99c, so I wasn't sure what to
Lillie
The romance and mystery were mildly enjoyable. Fans of horse racing might like the book better than I did.
Nikki
This is my first time reading Bev Pettersen, and I was very impressed with her debut novel! It's a romantic suspense that takes place in the world of horse racing, and the setting was fantastic.

I know nothing about that world, but like John Grisham does with courtrooms and Michael Connelly does with police procedures, Ms. Pettersen brought me immediately into that world so that I felt like I was there and knew what was going on, even though I'm not a horse person!

Great characters backed up the s
M.J. Fredrick
I've been a lover of horse books since I was a little girl, but I've gotten away from that in the past few years. This book brought me back and made me remember what I loved about books set around horses.

I loved the fact that this was set behind the scenes instead of the glamorous side of horse-racing. It was so interesting to see how things worked. I enjoyed the suspense side as well, the disillusioned undercover cop drawn back into a case where he would have knowledge as a horse trainer. That
April
JOCKEYS AND JEWELS by Bev Pettersen is an exciting debut romantic suspense. It has horses,mystery,suspense,romance,sexual tension,murder,deceit, secrets,passion,and danger.With characters,horse track setting,mystery,and suspense you can’t go wrong with “Jockeys and Jewels”. This story will appear to suspense,mystery,and romance readers. A great read.”Jockeys and Jewels” is a definite. Received for review from Library Thing and the author. Details can be found at Westerhall and My Book Addiction ...more
Bellarush
I was ready to give this a 4 before the structure fell apart at the end (why the head-hopping after staying true to POV up to that point?), which unfortunately messed up the rhythm for me. Still, it served the purpose of a nice, light, quick and entertaining read. I could nit-pick about some of the horse stuff, but I am notorious hard on books that way, so I didn't let those things get in the way of my enjoyment. I'm looking forward to reading more by the same author. :-)
Kaye
I absolutely loved this book. She nailed the racing world and I felt like I knew some of those people. She described the backside and it's inhabitants perfectly. The RCMP/trainer with lots of baggage. The apprentice jockey who has both lots to prove and her own baggage. Otto, the terrible trainer. The mystery was well done. Aside from some terms that are somewhat different than what I'm used to and I assume are regional, it was well done.
April
I really enjoyed this book. I have always loved horses and I enjoy romance books. So thank you a thousand times. Don't get me wrong I love beautiful thoroughbreds doing what they love, but I'm all for a beautiful paint tearing up the barrels and poles at the national level. Just a thought. Please keep writing and I promise you will have at least one person that will definitely be reading them.
Jenn
I really liked this! It's unfortunate that it took me so long to finish it - it kept taking a backseat to library books!

Patterson knows horses and knows racing, which is a plus. The mystery was engrossing, and the characters interesting; the romance was more meh, but the rest was strong enough to overcome that.

I'm not a huge mystery fan but I'll look to see if she's written more.
I didn't really like this one as much as the other two I've read by Bev Pettersen. The storyline was kind of depressing with the horses being abused.
Janet
I found this book to be very good. I liked all the information about the horses and racing. It is a fascinating world. This started out as a mystery but turned into a nice love story centered around the love of horses and the track. Very good read. I would recommend this to other readers. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Hope Ramsay
Bev Pettersen knows horses and horse racing. That comes across in spades in this book. I was swept away to the backside of the race track where the trainers and the jockeys and the grooms live and work. I was rooting for the characters in this book from the get-go. A great blend of horse story, mystery and romance.
Lora
A very good mystery novel. Having read most (if not all) Dick Francis and William Shoemaker books, I enjoyed this mystery a lot. Horse based mysteries are a 'plus' for me and there are not a lot of truly horse based mysteries. I read one Lyndon Stacey book which I also enjoyed. This was downloaded from Kindle.
Jenn Green
I liked it. Was just ok for me. The story itself was sweet with some action & surprises & the charaters were likable enough. It was just very descriptive with some of the race stuff, which I wouldn't mind so much if I knew what the hell they were talking about, but I didn't so thats why its only a 4 star for me.
Karen
It's been years since I've picked up a mystery and I'm so glad I picked this book up. It's very well written and the flow is flawless. I've been around tracks mucking stalls when I was a teen even got to gallop a few, so I know how Julie felt, for most of it. I will diffently be reading more of Bev's books.
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
  • Promises to Keep
  • Shattered
  • Avenging Angel
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Blame it on Texas (Lone Star Cowboys #1)
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
  • Shadow Lover
  • Oceans Between Us (A Cinderella Romance)
  • The Storm Within
  • Sunrise Over Texas
  • Wildblossom
  • Destiny Wears Spurs
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Honor Bound
  • Sweet Vengeance
  • Without Words
  • Mourning Becomes Cassandra
Bev Pettersen is a three-time nominee in the National Readers Choice Award as well as a two-time finalist in the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart® Contest. She competed for five years on the Alberta Thoroughbred race circuit and is an Equine Canada certified coach. She lives in Nova Scotia with her family, and when she's not writing novels, she's riding. Visit her at http://www.bevpetters ...more
More about Bev Pettersen...
Thoroughbreds and Trailer Trash (Hearts and Hoofbeats #1) Color My Horse (Racetrack Romance, #1) Fillies and Females (Racetrack Romance, #2) Horses and Heroin (Racetrack Romance, #4) Studs and Stilettos (Hearts and Hoofbeats #2)

“Difficult trainers were the ones most willing to take a chance with a green jockey, and Bill Chandler was a prince compared to Otto Laing.” 1 likes
“You okay? the voice above her repeated.
Julie squeezed her eyes shut, unable to answer the man's simple question. Was she okay? No, not really.”
1 likes