Start by marking “The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion” as Want to Read:
The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion

The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion (The Hunger Games Companions)

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  85,598 ratings  ·  361 reviews
The New York Times bestseller by Suzanne Collins is now a major motion picture -- and this is your guide to all of the movie's excitement, both in front of the camera and behind it.

Go behind the scenes of the making of The Hunger Games with exclusive images and interviews. From the screenwriting process to the casting decisions to the elaborate sets and costumes to the act
Published February 7th 2012 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Hunger Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games Tribute Guide by Emily SeifeThe Hunger Games by Kate Egan
Books About The Hunger Games
5th out of 27 books — 99 voters
Crossed by Ally CondiePandemonium by Lauren OliverEve by Anna CareyTempest by Julie CrossThe Hunger Games by Kate Egan
R.A.K. September
5th out of 64 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucille
I read this at Walmart (talk about being thrifty) when my mom was shopping for groceries. Oh you don't know how long it takes for her to just get meat, think about the milk, eggs, etc. Seriously, I could just die of boredom if this book wasn't there.

So anyway, I read this and it really helped me a lot to remember the characters names and who's playing who (I still don't remember most of them, only Katniss, Peeta, Gale, and Prim). The pictures just made me want to watch the movie more!
Penelope
"...I think a book adaptation doesn't have to be just like the book, it has to feel like the book. That's what you want. You want to get the feeling from the movie that you got from the book, and you want the characters to evoke the characters that you fell in love with."
-Nina Jacobson (producer), pg. 20

I can't even begin to describe how many worries and fears about the making of the movie, this book put to rest. Just reading about the careful decisions that were made through every step of the
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
After reading this book, I just saw how much every crew member of The Hunger Games worked hard for the movie. You could see their perseverance to do it, to make it a great movie to make the fans happy- which didn't fail. I am so glad that the Hunger Games was a blockbuster for the makers of it really deserved it. Everyone prepared for it, the cast and crew and especially the director. They encountered lots and lots of obstacles like shooting while raining and many others. They also try their ...more
Gabriella
This book was really interesting! I am really disappointed that for the movies, they are getting rid of the character Madge. They said it was because they could deal without her and that she really wasn't that important. All around, I believe that in the long run, Madge is the most important character. She gives Katniss the Mockingjay pin. That's the start of the whole rebellion! And, her mom was Maisyilee, Katniss' mom's best friend, who also fought in the Hunger Games with Haymitch. So, I thin ...more
Jenn
May 25, 2012 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenn by: Noelle
I am a sucker for these movies guides because I love all the glimpses behind the scenes. I love seeing how things work and how movies get made. When it comes to rating them, that's a little harder because it's not a story. So I figured 3 stars would be sum it up perfectly.
Olivia
Really awesome being able to see how the movie was made! I sooo wish I could be one of the tributes in the movie. ;D
Stephanie
For fans of The Hunger Games, particularly those with an interest in film-making, this book is immensely satisfying. I've read many articles on the upcoming movie, and I was happy to see that most of the photos, if not all, have not been previously published. Quotes were included from all of the actors, as well the producers, director, and various crew.

The book includes six parts:

Part 1: "The History of The Hunger Games" details the film industry's immediate interest following the publication of
Cassandra Noelle
Since I really enjoyed the Hunger Games books, I've naturally been excited for the upcoming movie. My mama surprised me by giving me this movie companion and, while it was an easy read, all of the photographs and illustrations were incredible. This is going to be a visually stunning movie; from the food, to the set of the area, to the fashions and makeup of the Capitol.

Even though I'm not yet sure that I'll be seeing the film in March when it comes out, the book was well-worth the read to not o
Ceres
En lisant ce guide avant de voir le film, on en comprend mieux l'univers et on ne pourra que l'apprécier davantage!!! Il n'y a pas à dire, je suis fan et je suis très impatiente. Ce film a droit à tout le succès qu'il mérite et je pense que tous les fans seront ravis de cette adaptation!

Ma review complète: http://ceresu.canalblog.com/archives/...
Paula Konstantinova
I really loved all of the information and the pictures in this companion! It's exactly the information I wanted to know about the director, what parts Suzanne Collins is in, casting, etc.... made me even more excited for this movie! I can't wait to see it!
Evey
Très complet, exactement ce que j'attendais de ce guide. On en apprend beaucoup sur les coulisses, les choix qui ont été fait,... Aucun vrai spoiler pour les personnes n'ayant pas encore pas lu les romans. Quelques nouveaux Stills.
Sofi
I loved getting a "behind-the-scenes" look at The Hunger Games movie!
4.5/5 stars

If you've seen the movie and love the book then this is a nice companion to the Hunger Games movie.

The Illustrated Movie Companion has lots of pictures and is divided into sections. They focus on the book, the casting, the places, the costumes and more.

As someone who loved the books and enjoyed the movie it was nice to see how everything transpired.

I especially loved hearing about Suzanne Collins (the author of the series) and things that happened with the Hunger Games book (and her i
Noelle
Apr 19, 2012 Noelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hunger Games movie and book fans
More like a 3.5.

I enjoyed reading this. Unlike the other tribute guide (Ugh) I was pleased by how this was written. This was interesting, and gave me insight to the behind the scenes aspects of the film.

The interviews with Gary Ross and Nina Jacobson were precisely why I wanted to read it. I wanted to know why they chose to deviate from the books and why they went in certain directions. It threw me when Lenny Kravitz and Josh Hutcherson were cast, but I feel like this gives the audience a better
Gabriella
I am one of those crazy people/obsessive fans that has a meltdown everytime it is announced that one of my favourite books is going to be made into a movie. Indeed after I found out that The Hunger Games movie is not just a rumour but is actually happening... well lets just say you wouldn't have wanted to be sharing brain space with me at that exact moment.

So for months and months all these scenarios have been running through my head on why I am not going to like this movie.
* The actors won't ma
Mary Ann
I enjoy reading about all that went into making the movies. I didn't read it before the movie because I really didn't want a lot of spoilers. I liked the parts in which Suzanne Collins is quoted the best. Since it is the author's story I like to hear what the author has to say the most. i.e.

"If Josh had been bright purple and had had six foot wings and have that audition, I'd have been like 'Cast him! We an work around the wings!' He was that good."

and her thoughts about what she wants people -
Kati
Feb 18, 2012 Kati rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hunger Games Fans
Shelves: favorites
This book is mainly just about the making of The Hunger Games movies. It talks all about the casting process, the set, make-up, food, and everything else that goes into the movie making. There is also a ton of pictures from behind the scenes and from the movie. It was so interesting to read. It just made me feel more confident that this movie is going to be epic just like the books. It also made me love the cast even more. Jennifer Lawrence is like the perfect Katniss. I seriously think they cou ...more
Abi Holligan
I thought this Movie Companion would be like the Twilight Saga one's and in some ways it was, it had pictures from the film and the book talked through the film and how it was made, but it didn't really give a lot of insight, I knew pretty much everything that was in there already, for example the Twilight Eclipse companion told about how they created the whole snow scene and filmed it indoors, that was a shock because it looks so real, there was nothing like that in this.
The pictures were good
Sharon Powers
Book Review by Sharon Powers.

QUICK BOOK REVIEW OF THE OFFICIAL ILLUSTRATED MOVIE COMPANION
(THE HUNGER GAMES).

The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated
Movie Companion, by Kate Egan is 160 pages;
it sells for $9.99 to about $18.99, of course,
depending on where you buy your book.
[15]
The Movie Companion is divided into six parts, as follows:
(1) The History of The Hunger Games;
(2) The Cast of The Hunger Games;
(3) The Look of The Hunger Games: Places and Props;
(4) The Look of The Hunger Games: People;
Lillith
It was heart racing, exciting and the most adventurous books i have ever read in my life. The narrating was so good i was at the edge of my seat all the time! It was very realistic too. About the wars. About the conclusion of our generations. I truly believe that as time goes on it's a possibility that nations will fight for land. In overall it's definately worth reading.
Cass -  Words on Paper
Didn't take me too long to read, cover to cover. I suppose I did expect a little more behind the scenes stuff, more of the making of the film. I got some of that, but it's not nearly as detailed as I thought it would have been. Whether it's worth your money? I don't know. How big a fan are you?

(I bought my copy at Big W for $15.)
Hayley
Loved the detail and dedication Kate Egan put into this book: creating a detailed picture of the cast, sets, and costume/cosmetic decisions used in the film. I loved the section on 'Capitol fashion' which was hideous, but in a way which I feel looks true to the books' description. There were a few new stills as well :)
Josie Talbert
I thought this book had a lot of interesting things in it. I was so excited for the movie to come out I just had to read this book to satisfy my hunger to see the movie! The pictures are great and I loved looking at the capitol children. I would definitely recommend this book to any Hunger Games fans!
Amy
After reading this I'm even more excited for the movie. I got chills a few times as I read about the entire process of adapting Suzanne Collins brilliant book into a movie. I loved the insight into the script writing, the casting, and the creation of the Hunger Games world. Is it March 23rd yet?!?!
Brenda Ho
It was fascinating to read about the process of THG going from page to screen. It was a lot more grueling and laborious than I figured, which was good to know because it truly helped me to appreciate the movie more when I know the amount of effort that was put in.

The descriptions were succinct and just the right length of words. The pictures were captivating, particularly the digital renderings. I flew through this in no time.

If you are a fan of The Hunger Games, I totally recommend this. Howev
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}

Peeta: And I don't even knead that dough...
Katniss: Now you're just somebody that I shot with my bow...

COOL STORY, BRO.
Michelle
Read it and then my niece read it. It gives a good overview of how this movie was made. It has spoilers, so it helps to have read the books and trilogy. It's heavy on images, which also greatly builds my anticipation for the film.
Jodie
I am so excited to see this brilliant series turned into a movie!! This movie guide was so beautifully done. It is full of extraordinary behind the scenes photos and descriptions. I loved reading through this guide, now bring on the movie!
Rowan
I bought this because i am obsessed with The Hunger Games. It is really good in describing how they made decisions about how to make the movie. It you love The Hunger Games like me you will love it. Happy Hunger Games
Gretchen
This was really interesting and had some great pictures and facts. I was really impressed with how some of the aspects in the film were created. I still can't believe I read this book in like an hour...
If Jennifer Laurence didn't play Katniss, who do you think would play her instead? 14 49 Jul 09, 2014 03:57AM
Hunger Games Fans: Why we love Hunger Games!!! 38 25 Jun 06, 2014 08:50PM
On Tyrants &...: president Snow tyrant of Panem 6 17 Dec 22, 2013 08:23PM
On Tyrants &...: What Would You Do To Resolve The Hunger Games Issue? 11 24 Dec 22, 2013 07:02PM
Rue's four note whistle 6 133 Apr 27, 2013 05:47AM
Hunger Games : Who should play Finnick Odair? 336 104 Aug 26, 2012 12:04PM
Fun,Cool Book 1 8 Jul 15, 2012 06:49PM
  • Guide to The Hunger Games
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Hunger Games Companion
  • The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 1: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion (The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, #4)
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More Than 150 Recipes Inspired by the Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Jennifer Lawrence: Star of the Hunger Games
  • Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality
  • The Hunger Pains: A Parody
  • The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book
  • Twilight and History
  • The Hunger Games: List of characters in the Hunger Games trilogy, The Hunger Games universe, Katniss Everdeen, etc
  • Twilight Director's Notebook : The Story of How We Made the Movie Based on the Novel by Stephenie Meyer
  • Vampire Academy Box Set (Vampire Academy, #1-4)
  • The Immortals Boxed Set (The Immortals, #1-3)
  • The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason
  • Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed / Hunted (House of Night #1-5)
  • The Hunger Games, including: Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire (2009 Novel), The Hunger Games Trilogy, Mockingjay, Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, List Of Characters In The Hunger Games Trilogy, The Hunger Games Universe, Haymitch Abernathy

The Hunger Games Companions (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
  • The World of the Hunger Games
  • Guide to The Hunger Games
  • Hunger Games Companion
  • The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire - Booster Pack: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire - Movie Edition, Extra Movie Content
  • The Panem Companion
The World of the Hunger Games Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion Catching Fire: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion The Courage to Choose (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #15) Worlds Apart (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #14)

“In The Hunger Games, there's something for everyone.
A gripping adventure.
A political commentary.
A love story.
A cautionary tale.
Some call it science fiction, some call it potential reality.
Some say it's for teenagers, some say it's for adults.
The book--and now the film--captures themes and concerns that seem timely.
But its real strength, in the end, is that it's timeless. It speaks to us today, and it will speak--even more powerfully--tomorrow.”
11 likes
“I felt that Lionsgate really understood the material and that they would let us make a faithful adaptation; that they wouldn't soften it, they wouldn't age up the characters, to make them older so that it would be more palatable. I felt that the power of the book was in the youth of these protagonists and that you couldn't cheat on that in terms of their age in the story. Lionsgate was on board for, of course, the PG-13 version of the movie, not something full of blood and guts, but something more thematically driven. -Nina Jacobson, pg. 14” 4 likes